Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Habits and Situational Awareness
The recent events around the country with the racially motivated attacks, muslims being themselves, and illegal aliens raping/pillaging we need to be diligent in our personal safety and be the "Hard Target".  If you are a person that is a 'creature of habit' you are a soft target.  How well are you of you surroundings? Are you physically and mentally equipped to handle an 'Oh sheet' situation? There are many things you can do to change yourself from a 'Soft Target' to a 'Hard Target'.

If you have patterns or a routine on your daily activities you have opened yourself up as an easy target. If you were watched could someone predict your moves? Could they predict what time and the route you take to work and back home? Do they know what gas station you use? Do you have a mailbox that locks or can it be easily pilfered for information? Do you use social media to announce all of your plans? The answers should be I am unpredictable in my actions, routes, eating times, fuel replenishment, vehicle I drive, I lock down my mail, and no way would I ever have a social media account. Be a ghost. Be as unpredictable in you route/life as possible when you are out in public. Draw as little attention as possible to keep a low profile.

When you do travel how many cars ahead are you aware of their driving pattern? How long has the car two cars back been trailing you? Do you have more than half a tank of gas? Is my car in top working order? These are other questions you have to look at. I ride a motorcycle so I am constantly looking at all the cars around me because I do not want to get run over, again. When I am in a truck or car I keep the same mentality of being aware of all of the vehicle around me. Back when I was in the military and it was time for my security clearance review my wife and I were headed to the beach. It was a 2 hour dive through the woods and through a small town or two. On the way down I noticed a LTD about 1/4 mile behind us most of the way. I saw the same car on the beach 3 or 4 times. On the way back I noticed it was behind me again. I had a CB radio and got in touch with the county sheriff who boxed in the LTD in one of the small towns. It turned out to be a FBI agent following me for my clearance investigation. Another thing I have learned is to always have more than a half tank of fuel - you never know when you may need to hit the road to get out of town. I also try to keep a vehicle that can 'hold its own' performance wise and keep it in top performance maintenance wise.

Do you know your limitations if you had to run flat out or how long you could hold up? Do you carry any weapons and do you know how to use them? If you do have a weapon could you kill with it? Being physically fit has many benefits but when you walk into a room do you size every body up if there was a situation? Could you handle yourself in that situation? I have an exercise routine to keep physically fit. I carry a pistol and a knife. I have many practice hours with the pistol and I have had many hours of training in hand to hand and with a knife. My training was not to beat some down but it was to be the person who walked away. Many people train like crazy but when it cones down to an actual situation could you pull the trigger or thrust the knife to end someone else's life - if you are unsure you need to put away the knife and gun.  A statistic the DOD put out is that 20% of infantry could take aim and pull the trigger to kill the enemy. The other 80% would fire into the air or not at all. These are people who have trained to be killers, but could you actually do it? That is a moral dilemma most people are unsure of. 

We need to practice to be a Hard target. A target that is very difficult to figure out a schedule or to pin down physically or with data. We also need to be aware of what is going on around us and realize 'escape routes' if necessary. 'A man's got to know his limitations' was once said in a movie and it is very true in many aspects. Being able to protect yourself and others and being able to live with the consequences are very important. Many soldiers that suffer from PTSD are fighting the battle of the consequences - could you?
Just curious, how many of you have kids in middle, junior or high school that you teach situational awareness to? And also maybe arm your kids (if you can legally) with pepper spray or something?
We home school,my kid can defend their person.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The reason I asked was because of something that happened to one of my wife's cousins. She had a trouble maker/stalker. This person stalked her to a produce market in town and was going to jump her with a few guys accompanied with her. My wife's cousin (knowing that there was a person up to no good and followed her regularly) studied the area before leaving to go in the market. Didn't see anything at first but Walking in she noticed these people coming up from her. She ran inside and went to the registers and asked for the manager. The police were called and the stalker is behind bars now.

Now this girl was only about 16-17 at the time of this incident. Had no real situational awareness training nor had even heard of it. But had the good sense to know to cause a scene in that certain situation. And I believe it's a good story to share. Sometimes a ruckus is better than trying to hide or bugging out.
Excellent thread.  With the shooting of the Deputy at the gas station just happening, my wife is now a bit nervous for my safety.  As a result I'm reviewing all of my own situational awareness protocols.  I started the discipline of situational awareness in the military because I held a T.S. clearance.  It was ingrained into me. 
  • Never take the same route to work two-days in a row.
  • When you stopped at a light you left enough room in front and to the sides to escape should it become necessary.  Also make the 3-point mirror check (both side mirrors and rear view mirror).
  • Drive in a truly forgettable matter i.e. don't draw any attention to yourself.
  • Vary routines.
  • Wear an oversized shirt over uniform back and forth to work.
  • Never sit with your back to the entrance (restaurant, store, bank etc).
  • Don't park directly in front of a bank or store.  Always park where you can see inside to see what's going on before you walk in on something.
  • Carry a weapon(s) and be familiar with them.
  • Mindset that I ingrain into my students is, "We NEVER quit and we ALWAYS win".  Get knocked down you get back up.  Get shot you fight back.  In otherwords have a mindset that will allow you to fight through the situation and allow you to survive.  Not arrogance, not cockiness but a survival mindset that you WILL survive, period, end of story.
  • Know the routine of our neighborhoods.  Do you recognize that car that's slowly cruising the neighborhood?  That Uhaul parked in front of the Jones' house...anyone mention that their moving?  Got a neighborhood watch in place?  Are you a part of it?
  • Is your home a hard target or does it scream easy pickings?  Do you have high hedges for someone to hide behind?  How's your locks?  Do you have motion activated lights front and back (and sides)?  Or do you just keep a light on all night (only costs pennies to run a light all night).
  • Do you know the layout of your home (particularly in the dim light)?  Do you know your shooting angles and danger zones inside and out?
  • Have you discussed a plan in case of (whatever) emergency with family?
  • Do you lock your doors when you're driving or can someone just walk up and fling your door open?
One of the things I taught my students early on was mindset.  I would give this as an example;  With a group of around 25 recruits I'd point to the exit sign.  I'd tell them that there was no way on this planet that they could prevent me from reaching that exit.  Didn't matter how many of them there were, didn't matter what they tried, didn't matter how strong they were or what they were armed with.  I'd let that sink in for a moment and then explain that it wasn't arrogance or cockiness but a positive mindset.  To me, on the other side of the door was my wife and little boy and they needed a husband and father and that this was the drive for me to win/survive despite the odds.  This was my drive, my focus and my goal. 

Being physically fit is important for a variety of reasons.  It can help mitigate an injury, help you deal with stress or push through physical ordeals.  And of course H2H is something that should be studied.  We all have our injuries, big and small to deal with particularly as we get older.  We need to realize these and then develop ways to circumvent those limitations. 

Here's a good question to ask yourself, "If I was out to 'get' myself...how would I do it"?  Now do something to defeat the answer(s).
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I wanted to bring this back to the top as it has some really good information for everyone to review.  Grey man is the way to go and these are some ways to do it.

Good info....

Many years ago, my wife use to ask me why I UN-buckled my seat belt ( after NY laws dictated same ) about a 1/4 mile away from the home.
Told her a story about someone fumbling with his belt , in front of a bank ,as the bad guy ran out right towards him....

Always took the belt off as I pulled up to any scene before car was stopped. You never know. ( btw still do )

PS; above turned out fine, the bg had a pellet gun, he did manage to release the belt, AND he finally learned never to pull directly in front... he had gotten to relaxed from all the fake calls, dropped his guard.
I just put the news link about the Nice attack in the France thread above.  Just another sobering reminder of always having situational awareness no matter where you're at.  Particularly at large events that are soft targets.

David,I stuck this thread.Sadly,there will likely be more events.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(07-15-2016, 04:32 PM)kirgi08 Wrote: David,I stuck this thread.Sadly,there will likely be more events.'08.

Unfortunately there have been;

2 dead, 17 hurt in shooting at teen party in Florida nightclub

This one, at least for the moment, appears to be gang related.  But whether it's gang, terrorism or simply crime the need to be aware of your surroundings remains the same.  As is the need to be armed.

I like this gal and she makes a LOT of sense.