Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hand cranked radios.
I like the eton arc models,the ARC FRX3 is a decent choice.They ain't perfect but they don't cost what a Kenwood does.The Ambient Weather WR111b is my "wish" unit.We have scanners and the such,what I want is the solar/outlet type usage.They are upgradeable and fairly stout.Midrange is the Grundig S450DLX,a $100 on prime.Above the ARC model,below the AW is the Kaito Electronics KA500BLK.It's highly versatile,I haven't handled one so I really don't know about quality.It does have the main thing I want in this type gear,AC/Battery/Solar/Computer.This is a essential factor for me.The cost is rt at $80/varies between sites,I may roll the dice and get one.

Being able to hear what's going on around you is paramount,in a "situation" info is king.As an aside,I'd print off yer local LEOs "10" codes.It may take awhile to learn them but it's worthwhile.Funny story,when I was still otr an FTO friend of mine had a newb riding for training.He asked me about 20 different "10" codes and I knew them all.He told his rook If a long haired hippy can learn them so can she.I'm a long haired hippy type that folk don't even notice.'08. Big Grin
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I've got one of the Eton models (don't recall what model it is off hand).  IIRC one minute of cranking gives 20 minutes of listen time.  Standard AM/FM/Marine/Weather Channel with small light and I think a siren.  Nice little carry case.  I was looking at them a while back including the one's you've mentioned.  I'd like to get one for each vehicle as well.  Solar option would be nice as well and I agree that this could be an essential piece of gear in many potential situations. 

I'd put a hand-crank/solar radio as a must-have piece of gear.  And many of them are quite affordable.  I don't remember where I got mine, but it may have been at a garage sale.  Works just fine.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hand held David 7 3,855 09-25-2015, 10:22 PM
Last Post: mac66