Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is a BOB, GHB or EDC? What goes in one? And why the heck would I want one anyway
More about EDC bags.  I was at the flea market last weekend and found a leather, sling-style bag for $16.  I bought this from the same lady I purchased my work bag from a couple of years ago (a camo bag big enough for all my stuff) for $11.  The work bag is still going strong two years later.  I suspect the new EDC bag will as well as it seems to be good quality and very thick and sturdy.

So check out flea markets in your area.  Never know when you might hit on a really cool deal.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Also check out the bid auctions on eBay. I've got a lot of paracord for 3-4 dollars cheaper than I'd find it in a store.

If you start your bid off aggressively at $5 or a little more and nickel and dime it up as you're outbid, you'll find that most will give up.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
Added Alka-Seltzer and aspirin to the EDC FAK.  Can't believe I hadn't added it before now  Sad

Adding a valuable item to the GHB (get home bag) that was suggested in another thread by a member here is the tire plug repair kit.  For when you get a flat tire and maybe you're not close to a service station and/or you're out of cell phone range.

Slime 1034-A T-Handle Tire Plug Kit

Combine that with a 12V tire inflator and it may well go a long way towards getting you back mobile when you need it.

Slime 40022 12-Volt Digital Tire Inflator

I've carried some sort of EDC/Get home bag for years! The bag itself has changed many times but the contents have essentially stayed the same! The ten essentials! I have this bag with me at all times. I throw it in the car when I leave the house, take it into work with me and it sits right under my desk, even took it to scout camp and wore it all last weekend with my daughter while we camped for the weekend!

-CC pistol/spare magazine
-knife/multitool
-1st aid kit
-survival blanket
-couple of granola bars
-water bottle
-headlamp
-cell phone/charger
-rain jacket/LW down sweater or puff jacket (depending on time of year)
-fleece gloves/hat (depending on the the time of year)
-bandana/buff
-matches/firestarter
-50ft of paracord/carabiner
-compass/laminated map of my area
-small notebook and pen

My car always has a car bag (all in a simple daypack) in it that includes:

-jumper cables
-50ft of 8mm static line and 2 carabiners
-tire inflator and fix a flat (but I'm loving the tire plug idea from you guys!)
-flares
-headlamp
-fleece blankets (2 of them)
-ski hats
-fleece gloves
-gallon of water
-4 MRE's
-avalanche shovel and snow brush/scraper in the winter time
-bag of rock salt in the winter time

Like another poster said, what's the Scout motto? Be Prepared!

Due to the certain events happening across the nation at the moment, I believe a lot more attention should be paid towards this thread.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

I am retired.  I drive about 500 miles a month.  My environment is such that bugging out would not be an option even if I were 50 years younger.

I carry a couple hundred pounds, cased and locked, in the car.  What a person would describe as a BOB, a Tactical Tailor pack, is empty in the trunk.  My most viable option is to go ground in place if I am away from home and in the car.  Based upon that option, I don't make a decision of what to pack in the BOB until the time arises.

I carry over 7 gallons of water in the car.  How long will that allow me to stay in place, to wait until things settle down, to make a decision as to what to put in the Tactical Tailor pack?

I put old tennis shoes in the car, not boots.  Why?  In SE Asia 40 years ago, I was going to walk unfamiliar territory for days with a pack.  I chose tennis shoes which would wear out (and they were destroyed) before boots.  Wearing boots meant lifting a extra pound with each step out of thousands of steps a day.  In the car went a WW2 German paratrooper smock as well as an innocuous correspondent/newsman's camera jacket.  Think options in what you wear.  With a wide brim hat/polyester cap, a sweater and a space blanket, I was covered for warmth.    Multiple knives.  A couple of MREs, tuna, and a #10 can of pilot bread.  A hatchet, cash in small bills.  Oh.  Spare glasses.Keep a wash cloth handy as well.  Multiple flashlighs and extra batteries.
The spare glasses is one that keeps getting me. I was sitting fairly good and last year, old age kicked in and now I have bi-focals. So, it will take a few years to get back to wear I have spare glasses for my bags. Thankfully, my prescription doesn't usually change much, so I'm hoping this holds true now that I have went to bi-focals.
http://masterwoodsman.com/2013/trash-bag...-survival/

Don't forget a trash bag!