Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downshifting caliber...
Has anyone here shifted from a larger caliber to a smaller caliber and why?

I went to the range a couple of weeks ago and am beginning to realize I have some hand issues related to age. For the past 13 years 40S&W has been my go to round. A G22 is my nightstand gun and a 4th gen G23 is basically my edc. I am seriously considering a downshift to 9mm. With the self defense ammo available today I have no qualms about it. The logical thing to do would be to replace my 22/23 with a 17/19 pair. That way my current holsters will continue to work. Or spring for something totally different.

So, just wondering if anyone has been through this shift and, if so, what your story is.
Yeah I was kinda of an anti 9mm guy preferring the G22 40. When the small 9mm pocket pistols became popular I picked one up and like it. I still prefer the large calibers but the 9 in a compact or sub compact 9 is okay for EDC. I actually started carrying my Ruger P97 45acp occasionally but that's a different story.

So bottom line I could see going to a small 9 mm for pocket/EDC carry for convenience sake but I wouldn't trade my full size pistols in on the same guns in a smaller caliber.
I am seriously considering a P365. Logic/logistics tell me a G43 because I have friends and family that have them. But the possibility of having 12+1 capacity makes the P365 more desirable to me. I have had an opportunity to shoot a G43 and was impressed by how controllable it actually was. It was comfortable to shoot and I would assume the P365 would be about the same. This would also fill the niche of subcompact/easily concealed pistol that is an open slot for me.

I would not get rid of my 22/23 they would just be relegated to a back-up status. I would probably add a G19 first. Sometimes it is all about cash flow.
Here are some thoughts...

I like the .40 S&W and really like the G22.4 that I have.  I also have a 9mm conversion barrel so for all intents and purposes it's a G17.4.  So why not simply get a 9mm conversion barrel for your G22 and G23?  A conversion barrel can be bought for like $100 so for half the cost of one new Glock you essentially have four Glocks.  In a pinch you can use the same magazines but if you want to get 9mm magazines, Glock mags are among the most reasonable.  Then you have a couple of 2-in-1 pistols so you've doubled ammunition possibilities. 

As far as the G43;  I had one and I liked it.  However, the single-stack and micro pistols are NOT Glocks strong suit.  For double-stack pistols of sub-compact and up they are top shelf and a preppers dream come true.  But not in the single-stack/micro venue.  They simply can't compete on a level playing field due to the design of their magazine.  I was not comfortable with the 6+1 capacity for my normal EDC.  That's just how I feel.  So I went to the LC9s which was at least 7+1 with an OEM magazine available to make it 9+1.  But after I felt comfortable that the Sig 365 had the bugs worked out it was the next logical step.  The 365 is slightly smaller than the LC9s and about the same size, slightly smaller than the G42 .380acp.  Yet it has 10, 12 and even 15+1 capacities available.  So as much as I like Glock, I can't see settling for a 6+1 platform when I could have a 10, 12 or 15+1 platform in the same price range.  And Sig offers them with or without manual thumb safety so it's another option that Glock doesn't offer. 

As far as 9mm in-and-of-itself, I'm fully comfortable with the caliber.  Ammunition has come a long way and I'm a firm believer that among the normal service calibers there is not a head-n-shoulders difference between them.  Shot placement and adequate penetration are the two top priorities after reliability.  I like the .40 S&W simply because I like the .40 S&W, not because I think it's better than the other service calibers.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Thanks for the food for thought. Are there considerations for extraction when going to a 9mm in the 22/23 platform? How much does the size difference of the base of the cartridge come into play there? The option of a simple barrel change and mags is very appealing.

I am with you on the 365. It is a pistol that seems to have greater functionality beyond its size.

When I got back into handguns 13 years ago I went with the G22 over the G17 because 1: ammo selection was much better than it had been 15 years earlier. 2: it is what most of our local law enforcement was using. The 22/23 was and still is standard for city and county police and county sheriff's office. 3: Having cut my teeth on 357mag back in the 80's I liked that 40S&W had some self defense loads that approached the fpe of some 357 loads. It did not bother me that it was a punchier round recoil-wise.
9mm/40 mags are generally interchangeable. I have used a number of 40 mags with 9mm no problem.

Some may suggest a spring change. Haven't done it, haven't had an issue.

I am a fan of the cheapest, most common round available, thus have always been a 9mm fan. I don't think .40 really gives me enough to bother with it. .45 - that's another story....
I was always a two caliber guy when it cam to handguns. 45ACP and 9mm filled all the roles I needed. During lean times I sold off every 45 and focused on 9mm. Although I miss a few of the guns, I don't miss the cartridge.
(11-09-2019, 10:52 AM)Ronin.45 Wrote: I was always a two caliber guy when it cam to handguns. 45ACP and 9mm filled all the roles I needed. During lean times I sold off every 45 and focused on 9mm. Although I miss a few of the guns, I don't miss the cartridge.

For me it would be 357mag as my second caliber. A 6" 686 was my first centerfire handgun. I sold it 34 years ago and I do regret it. When I got back into handguns and shooting 13 years ago the guns I got were a G22 and a 4" S&W686. I went in my LGS with the intention of just buying the Glock but saw the Smith and, well, you know. Haggled a bit with the proprietor, we came to an acceptable price for both guns, and I walked out of the store with a revolver and a semi-auto. I actually shoot the revolver better than any other pistol I have-- even shooting double action. I will keep that revolver.

As for the first, well, that's a bit up in the air right now.
(11-09-2019, 12:29 AM)David Wrote: Here are some thoughts...

I like the .40 S&W and really like the G22.4 that I have.  I also have a 9mm conversion barrel so for all intents and purposes it's a G17.4.  So why not simply get a 9mm conversion barrel for your G22 and G23?  A conversion barrel can be bought for like $100 so for half the cost of one new Glock you essentially have four Glocks.  In a pinch you can use the same magazines but if you want to get 9mm magazines, Glock mags are among the most reasonable.  Then you have a couple of 2-in-1 pistols so you've doubled ammunition possibilities. 

This is a really good idea.  I also have 9mm conversion barrels for my G22 and an XD40. I generally use them for practice and carry those guns in 40. However, I've never had a malfunction in either with the conversion barrels and wouldn't hesitate in carrying them with the 9 mm bbl.   Same guns, best of both worlds=Winner!
(11-09-2019, 03:14 AM)ratf51 Wrote: Thanks for the food for thought. Are there considerations for extraction when going to a 9mm in the 22/23 platform? How much does the size difference of the base of the cartridge come into play there? The option of a simple barrel change and mags is very appealing.

Really just a 9mm conversion barrel is needed.  You don't have to swap anything else out.  Mags are pretty much interchangeable.  I've shot 9mm in a G19 with a G23 magazine before, by accident, during an annual qualification.  Didn't even notice I'd grabbed a G23 mag until I'd already shot with it.  Just didn't shoot any differently than any of the G19 mags.  However, if you want to have G19 dedicated mags the nice thing about Glock mags is that they can be picked up for a lot less than other types of mags.  But you don't really have to if you don't want to.  And there are a bunch of places to get a good 9mm conversion barrel which is another nice perk with Glocks i.e. a gazillion aftermarket products.  

Quote:I am with you on the 365. It is a pistol that seems to have greater functionality beyond its size.

Yeah, it's really earned the title of 'game changer'.  My only other thought if you get one is to get a Maglula mag loader.  I can load hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of rounds in a Glock mag without a loader.  But when I first had the 365 I  could not fully load the mags by hand.  Really stiff springs, which isn't a bad thing, and they relaxed after being fully loaded.  But yeah, they were tough at first.  The Maglula made it easy.  

Other than that the 365 has really been a great pistol.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Smallest gun/caliber you'd feel comfortable with? David 149 28,996 10-19-2019, 12:31 AM
Last Post: David
  The Pistol Caliber Carbine Thread Bob 63 9,485 12-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Last Post: David
  Multi-caliber capability David 11 2,456 05-27-2018, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Bob
Smile Caliber Warz David 23 8,897 02-12-2018, 01:20 AM
Last Post: mac66