Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you harvesting?
We got kicked in the nuts.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(04-07-2016, 01:34 AM)kirgi08 Wrote: We got kicked in the nuts.'08.

Me too. Every plant died but 2. One that squeaked by the frost and a Cajun Bell I just bought and had in the house...
In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
Nothing made it here.'08.

(04-08-2016, 12:00 AM)kirgi08 Wrote: Nothing made it here.'08.

Nothing's getting planted until the end of next month when it gets warmer.
In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
My corn is 4" to 6" tall right now. The squash, pickling cucumber, and okra still have not sprouted. All were planted at the same time. The weather here hasn't been as detrimental.
Reading through this thread really makes you aware of how different the weather/climate is in the country.  John has to wait till the end of the month for it to be warm enough to plant, yet we've been growing stuff right through the winter.  It really wasn't much of a winter for us, and normally just isn't that bad.  It got down into the low 40's a handful of times and I don't think it got into the 30's in this part of Florida (northern Florida does though).  Sure, we can get down into the teens but those are few and far between years.  So our growing season for most stuff is pretty much year around.  That's a consideration.

How would a green house work for you guys?  My brother in Missouri has considered it.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Dave,we have 2.The plants froze before the transfer,we open air bucket for germination.We did not expect this chill.'08.

I live on a standard city lot with the backyard being a hillside.
Ate cherimoya this week.  $8 a pound in the store.  Have lemons ready.

Trees:
1 avocado
2 lemon
4 guava
2 Washington Navel
1 cherimoya
1 lime
1 apricot
1 pomegranate
1 tangerine
1 dwarf Washington Navel
1 Santa Rosa plum Big Grin
I killed a raccoon yesterday that has decimated everything in my garden except for the tomatoes, peppers and herbs. I first thought it was rabbits and netted everything with a plastic mesh. It kept getting torn up. I caught him tearing down my last sunflower and munching down on the seed pod. I used my 80 year old bolt action 22LR to dispatch him.

So far I have put up 4 quarts of tomatoes, 2 with basil. The tomatoes are starting to come in heavily. I only got 6 cucumbers which I dropped in the refrigerator pickle jar sliced and quartered and they are almost gone. The coon has gotten the rest of the cucs.
(07-10-2017, 05:32 PM)Tsquare Wrote: I killed a raccoon yesterday that has decimated everything in my garden except for the tomatoes, peppers and herbs. I first thought it was rabbits and netted everything with a plastic mesh. It kept getting torn up.  I caught him tearing down my last sunflower and munching down on the seed pod. I used my 80 year old bolt action 22LR to dispatch him.

So far I have put up 4 quarts of tomatoes, 2 with basil. The tomatoes are starting to come in heavily. I only got 6 cucumbers which I dropped in the refrigerator pickle jar sliced and quartered and they are almost gone. The coon has gotten the rest of the cucs.

I just harvested a tree full of Dorsett Golden apples. They are a bit sweet and a bit tart and should make excellent pie apples though I'll use some for applesauce too.

My Anna apples still need a week or two. 

Peaches and nectarines did poorly this year, really small and no flavor. Santa Rosa plums did well but I lost most of them to birds as I didn't get the bird netting up in time. 

Sweet 100 tomatoes are giving me a bumper crop. Zucchini and Yellow Crookneck are producing a steady supply of squash.

My second crop of Anasazi beans is up and thriving. If you haven't grown these yet, you should. They are the tastiest dry beans I've ever grown. They are a pole bean so go vertical.

Watermelon and cantaloupe are maturing nicely.

I'm growing sweet potatoes for the first time this year and they are going to town. My regular potatoes (Purple Viking) were a complete disappointment this year, as none came up and I'm not sure what I did wrong.
Thoughts are the seeds of actions. Actions are the seeds of fate. Be careful what you plant.
Growing Your Own Food is Like Growing Your Own Money
You are welcome to visit my author website  http://www.RaymondDeanWhite.com