Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you harvesting?
We don't even have a tv.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I live on a typical urban lot within a desert environment.  There are over 15 fruit trees.  This week the harvest is apple guava, strawberry guava and one type of lemon.

There isn't enough rainfall to sustain a truck garden after shtf.  However, there is a possibility of harvesting fruit within a year or two of shtf if I am not able to water the trees.
Deer!! I have my box slapped up against the back porch with the flood lights on and these aggravating things are still eating leaves up. I can't have it. It's too late in the season and all 3 plants are producing right now. Time to get creative.
(09-07-2015, 01:21 AM)JRSC Wrote: Deer!! I have my box slapped up against the back porch with the flood lights on and these aggravating things are still eating leaves up. I can't have it. It's too late in the season and all 3 plants are producing right now. Time to get creative.

It's time to fill the freezer with delicious meat...    Wink
(09-06-2015, 01:34 PM)David Wrote:
(09-05-2015, 10:28 PM)Author Raymond Dean White Wrote: I just finished pulling up all my corn. Wore me out. I swear some of those root balls weighed fifty pounds and were made out of concrete. Anyhow I got them all cleared out of that raised bed and raked it clean and smooth for fall plantings. Two raised bed gardens down and three to go.

Yep, got two and a half more to go myself.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll get it all done.  It's worth it though and I really love just hanging outside in the garden.  Relaxing and worthwhile. 

Beats being a vegetable sitting in front of the boob-tube!

The only time I can enjoy hanging out in my garden is between 5 and 6 AM. Once the sun comes up it gets hot fast. Sometimes I'm able to tough it out until 9 but that can toast me for the remainder of the day.
Thoughts are the seeds of actions. Actions are the seeds of fate. Be careful what you plant.
Growing Your Own Food is Like Growing Your Own Money
You are welcome to visit my author website  http://www.RaymondDeanWhite.com
I feel ya!  It isn't uncommon to have very high humidity and high heat at the same time.  Seriously, you can break a sweat just walking from your front door to the car so working out in the yard you pretty much get soaked.  So I try to get it in early or very late afternoon or early evening.  

And lots of water and some sort of electrolyte replacement.  I've been 'sun sick' once in my life and that was quite enough.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(09-10-2015, 12:31 PM)David Wrote: I feel ya!  It isn't uncommon to have very high humidity and high heat at the same time.  Seriously, you can break a sweat just walking from your front door to the car so working out in the yard you pretty much get soaked.  So I try to get it in early or very late afternoon or early evening.  

And lots of water and some sort of electrolyte replacement.  I've been 'sun sick' once in my life and that was quite enough.

Yep, lot of water and electrolytes. Heat exhaustion is no laughing matter. It usually isn't that humid around here (NW AZ) just hotter than H. Everyone who works outside here during the daytime wears long sleeved shirts and flap hats. My hat is vented netting between the crown and brim but the heat still gets me. Thank God it's finally cooling down. Only hit 99 yesterday.
Thoughts are the seeds of actions. Actions are the seeds of fate. Be careful what you plant.
Growing Your Own Food is Like Growing Your Own Money
You are welcome to visit my author website  http://www.RaymondDeanWhite.com
Grape tomatoes, kale, various lettuces and, egg plant, collard greens and bok choi are coming in great!  Also started a new pot of spearmint that has really taken off.  I love spearmint tea (so does the whole family).  

Just planted a lot of new lettuces in the hydroponic garden we have set up.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Swamp cabbage.
Lowuts