Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any upcoming purchases?
Question 
Couple of times a year the Sheriff offers a leave buy-back.  I'm almost maxed out on vacation time so I've started to participate in the last year.  I'm selling back 50 hours in November so I'll get a fat check at the end of the month.  Wife's letting me keep it as my stash money this time, lol. 

So thinking about 'stuff to get'.  Too be honest, there really isn't anything I 'need' and I feel I have all my niches covered from a defense perspective.  But sometimes it's nice to indulge the 'wants'.  Not really sure what I want though.  I'll likely get some more ammo so I'll be looking for some good free shipping deals on maybe a case of 9mm.  Maybe stock up a bit more on .223/.556 and a little bit of .380 for the LCP. 

As far as new guns...

I looked at my buddies new 365XL yesterday after work.  It's nice of course.  First time I've held one.  Flat trigger is nice.  I like the Xray sights.  With his LEO discount he got it from Osage County for $507 with free shipping.  Add on $20 for the FFL and he was OTD for $527 which I suppose isn't a bad price.  I did like the trigger but I don't know if I'm cocoo for cocopuffs over the pistol.  It's a thought but not sure yet. 

The Taurus G2 c/s is almost too inexpensive to pass up for a 'just because' pistol.  My local guy has them as low as $175 new.  He doesn't have the G3 yet but would imagine very low $200's when he does get them. 

For some reason that Muddy Girl pink camo LCPII on PSA for $199 caught my eye.  Cheapest I've seen the II version and it matches my very manly LCP in the same pattern Big Grin 

Tossing around an AK.  Bob has a nice one.  My brother loves his and the ammo is a lot cheaper than AR.  I like the 7.62x39 round.  Really starting to think about adding one of these, however, limited knowledge on them as far as who makes a good one, what to look for etc.  If anyone has some pearls of wisdom on a good AK I'm all ears. 

I haven't had a revolve in years.  Tossing around adding a .38 or .357 just to have one.  Also be good as a show-n-tell when I teach my next CCW class. 

Some type of a .45acp would be nice.  I very much liked the Sig P250 I had in .45acp and probably should have hung onto it.  If I came across another it would be tempting.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
At one time, for Y2K, I had 5 AKs with 10 mags each and 5 cases of ammo set aside. They were all Chinese Norincos MAK90s. I sold off 4 or them during the AWB for big money and converted my go to the AR15 platform. Kept most of the mags and ammo and currently have three AKs. One is the Norinco I kept which had a thumbhole stock which I converted to a regular style. One is Saiga sporter which I converted to take regular AK mags but kept as a conventional looking rifle. Kind of a sleeper. The third is a Romanian SAR 1. It was considered a "cheap" gun back in the day but is now considered high quality these days. (no AK is high quality IMO)

Chinese/Norinco on top, SAR with folding stock, since replaced with original stock, and Saiga on the bottom
[Image: kaOT3tB.jpg]

The Chinese AKs are considered about the best, then the Russian Saiga. Neither are imported anymore, but there are plenty out there in circulation. If you could find one in trade you'd be doing good. With your contacts you should be able to find one. The SAR 1s are no longer imported either but they were replaced by the WASR 10 which were consider pretty junky back in the day. Still, they are highly sought after because you can't buy them new anymore. There were a whole slew of AKs imported from different countries. Hungary (are considered high quality), Romania, Bulgaria etc, etc. Most AKs these days have US made receivers and are quite expensive. PSA makes some AK variations but I have no idea as to the quality. I probably haven't shot my AKs in a decade. They are not particularly accurate or of high quality. They are utility guns and ammo blasters for the most part.

I was digging around in the basement and uncovered four 45acps I have. I've mentioned the Ruger p97 and my XD45 in the hunting thread. I also have a 1911 and S&W 645. Looking to convert one or more of them to shoot 45 Super. . 45 super = magnum velocities with heavy bullets in existing 45 acp pistols. Basically stronger recoil springs would do it. Think bear protection without having to get into 10mm or carry a heavy limited capacity revolver.

Been looking at other 45s as well. New Ruger SR45s can be found for under $300 as well as police trade in M&P 45s. Not sure about the SR45 but the Smith is 45 super compatible. Of course I need another 45 like a hole in the head. At one time in the 1980s I tried to collect every 45 that was out there. After about a 15 I gave up and sold most of them off. I actually have 5 including a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup which I will probably never sell and the S&W 645 which I picked up a couple years ago.

I got the 645 a few years ago in a trade with a friend. It had the hammer spur and left side decocker lever ground off making it essentially a left handed gun and which ruined it's value. It was offered as trade bait to sweeten the deal. I never intended to keep it. Didn't really know much about them and dug it out and looked it up. Apparently made from 1985-88. It is a double action stainless steel auto a bit bigger than a 1911. The one I traded for had two mags, custom wood grips and Novak sights on it. I've since replaced the decocker lever but not the hammer. It is a really nice, quality piece of gear. I'm probably going to keep it, though for what it's worth I probably can buy both an SR45 and a M&P45. Something to consider but they don't make 'em like that anymore.
I have a completed AR lower that is just sitting and has been for 3 years. Of late I have almost pulled the trigger on a PSA dissipator upper. What I need to do is save up for a G43 or a P365-- this is the firearm slot that I need to fill.
You know Dave - there are a lot of good things to be said about an AK

#1 Cheap gun, cheap ammo
#2 Anything broke on it can be fixed with a hammer, some duct tape and gumption
#3 That assumes anything ever breaks in the first place.
#4 Light maintenance is spitting on it and calling it a whore. Acceptable maintenance is running a shoe string with a knot and oil through the bore.
#5 Minute of bad guy out to 100yds easy
#6 True .30 caliber, essential for anything that might shoot back!
#7 If the Blue hats come, they will deplete your access to 5.56 long before you have a chance to stock up.
#8 Lots and lots of accessories

That said - it takes some philosophical getting used to. When I got my first I couldn't believe the thing would actually work. Said gun never failed. Too used to Pappy's high end Browning trap guns, Sako rifles, etc.. After severe tweaking it may still only be minute of bad guy. It is not the most easily modifiable of weapons, in spite of all the accessories. It's my call for the Zombie Apocalypse one-gun-to-have though.

(10-28-2019, 12:59 PM)David Wrote: Muddy Girl pink camo LCPII on PSA for $199 caught my eye.  Cheapest I've seen the II version and it matches my very manly LCP in the same pattern Big Grin 

Another option, Dave, is to think about what you could get if you sold me that LCP and added those funds to the kitty.  Just something to think about...
(10-28-2019, 11:38 PM)Bob Wrote: Another option, Dave, is to think about what you could get if you sold me that LCP and added those funds to the kitty.  Just something to think about...

It's not an LCP, it's a PPP (pretty pink pistol) Big Grin 

You should pick one up for a pocket pistol.  Great little pistol.  Load it up with one of the rounds that use the XTP an you'll get good penetration with a little expansion tossed in.

I'm trying to remember, need to look in my gun book when I get home, but I don't think we purchased any guns this year. We have been buying other gun related items and such, but just nothing has really been jumping out for me to buy. I keep considering getting a 410 pump, but just haven't wanted to let go of the cash.
Saw an unfired HK P30SK V3 with thumb safety on AL yesterday for a good price.  But the guy hasn't contacted me back yet.  Thinking I'd like to get a hammer-fired DA/SA pistol again for grins and just happen to see it. 

I have a bunch of 'maybe' wants but nothing that really pops that I have to have. 

Do want to invest in some ammo though.

I would like to get a ak 12 ga.
I have several on my want list, but none I need. If I find a nice used 77/357 I'd gladly pick it up. A nice precision 10/22 would also be nice.
(10-29-2019, 12:12 PM)ghost Wrote: I would like to get a ak 12 ga.

Now that you mention it, I have a Saiga 12 ga. It's pretty fun but then again I don't shoot it much.  If I was to replace it I would get a Lynx which is an improved Chinese variant that uses Saiga mags.  Sometimes on sale for less than $400.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/lynx-12g...gun-3-gun/