Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heat sources and cooking gear
We all attempt to have a variety of food stores-- some long term storage, some that does not require cooking, etc. etc., and the list goes on. What I am interested in is this: in a grid down situation, the most likely scenario it being down due to inclement weather, what do you have at hand for actual cooking? This should break down into 2 categories: 1. Heat source and 2. cooking gear. The assumption is that society surrounding us is relatively stable and we would be looking at a short term event of possibly 1-2 weeks. I toss this scenario out because this is the one event that does happen somewhere for someone almost yearly. We have either been there and done that or been close to it and have loved ones/friends that have dealt with it.

Case in point: March, 1993, The Blizzard (here in the South we all have our "blizzard" stories.) My in-laws were socked in for 8 days without electricity or phone. They had a gas hot water heater and a couple of gas space heaters. They could take a hot shower and keep warm. As for cooking, the best they could do was put a can of soup on the ledge of the space heater to warm it and they also made toast. They could eventually get water boiling by putting a small pot on the said ledge. That year my wife and I gave them a Coleman propane 2-burner camp stove for their birthdays (both in June, just days apart).

Oddly enough my wife and I now live in their house (both having died years ago).

So, I'll begin-- heat sources: Gas grill, charcoal grill, Lodge Sportsman's charcoal grill, 2 Coleman camp stoves-- both are 2 burners, one is a white gas unit and the other is a propane unit (yes, the one we gave to my in-laws), a high BTU single burner propane stove, and a metal fire-pit that has a grill surface that can be attached. Most of these require outside use but I could make do with the Coleman propane stove inside. Cooking gear: A couple of cast iron dutch ovens, several cast iron skillets, a couple of carbon steel pans, and our everyday cookware is primarily stainless steel.

So, what's in your cooking closet?
I have put away a propane camp stove and about 6 1lb'ers to run same...
Also an outdoor BBQ on propane and an outdoor fireplace that fits a cooking rack.
all with basic camping pots/pans

As for heating, I have a propane space heater and a kerosene space heater.

BUT, in truth, I never intend to use them.
Having been thru the week long blizzards with no power isn't really an issue as I can run a gennie for the home... can use all but the elec dryer and elec stove.
Micro wave fills the gap when power is out and on generator
As for heat, the gennie runs the oil furnace/hot water

Longest time out was 12 days without power and made that without issue... could have doubled that if needed.
( funny, wife had the vacuum out and was cleaning during outage like nothing happened , another time had Christmas lights on outside )
#1 I have a lot of canned food that requires no heat/cooking. see what I did there?!?!?!?

#2 My main cook source is a Gas grill with four burners and a side warmer (plus 2-3 cans of propane

#4 My next level set up is a Coleman 2 burner camp store with ~ 12 small propane bottles (packed in a kitchen bug out box). Used for family camping

#5 High speed, low drag: Jet boil with two cans of fuel. Yeah, quick boil for a cup of water only, but that makes a lot of mountain house, or coffee. Fast.

#6 Extremely low drag/high speed: My beloved Esbit stove. Not sure how much fuel/tabs for that. SEP board guys have seen that a lot. I have two actually.

I have a set of dedicated outdoor cookware for both the grill and the Coleman. Coleman is packed with utensils, plates, cups etc.
Cooking gear:
plenty of cast iron pieces plus a dutch oven

Heat source:
Disregard all of the food stuffs that can be prepared without heat - enough to sustain two people for at least a month;
2 burner coleman stove
I have 5 large propane tanks and no barbecue. why? there are plenty of propane barbecues in the neighborhood and I don't want to bother to store one.
multiple small propane tanks and ways to refill them.
My gas grill is one of my routine use items. Because of that I do keep a couple of extra 20 lb propane tanks on hand. I am going to do some experimenting this winter with using my fire-pit for cooking. I have 2 acres of trees so wood for burning is no problem. I have a couple of stacks of well-seasoned firewood staying dry under the eaves of my house. Right now I could gather up dead limbs in my yard and make a respectable fire. My firewood has come from a sizable hickory tree that was blown over in a storm a few years ago and a large oak that was blown over last year. I have a large cast iron Lodge dutch oven (without the feet/legs, this one is made for stove top and oven usage) that I want to make stew in over the open fire. I also have a dutch oven with the legs that we have used when camping.
We have the small camp stove, larger grill with propane tanks and of course several esbit stoves. Also have a stone fire pit in the backyard. I built it for a nice place for company to hang out in the cooler months but could easily be used to cook food when necessary. With the amount of woods around us it's pretty much an unlimited resource.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
My fire pit rusted out. Still not worried.
(11-02-2019, 01:01 AM)Bob Wrote: My fire pit rusted out.  Still not worried.

We got that stone one from Lowes.  Easy to put together, looks great and we've had it for years now.  Looks like the day I put it together.  Wasn't expensive either.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
We have a propane grill. We have a two burner camp stove and a single burner camp stove. We also have some of the stoves in a can. We also have a Biolite Campstove.

So, we have several different ways to cook if the need arrives, besides the traditional campfire and grate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cooking game David 1 1,367 03-20-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: David
Video Cooking with Tammy Trayer (Trayer Wilderness) David 1 1,972 07-25-2015, 01:45 PM
Last Post: David