Purse
Other
Don't EDC
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you carry your EDC stuff?
Question 
Most of us have some sort of go-to method of always carrying specific items on a daily basis.  What is your preferred method(s)?

Multiple choices in the poll. Smile
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I'm a pocket stuffer, but I also put other because I use a Maxpedition pocket pouch.
My G43 is either in my right front pocket or in a holster at 3 o'clock. Left front pocket has pouch with knife, flashlight, money clip, ibuprofen, lens wipes, gum, etc.
I voted for three.

I have the stuff that I carry on me every day.

Then I have my sling bag which goes lots of places with me and is at least in the vehicle.

Finally, each vehicle has a backpack with equipment to get home in it in every vehicle.
My primary EDC will be the items I have on my person-- pocket knife, small single AAA LED flashlight in pocket, Leatherman Wave on my belt, cell phone, and a small Swiss Army knife on my keychain. I am not able to conceal carry at work but in my daily travels my G23 in a Remora holster lives in the car along with my GHB. The GHB varies by season-- I will change over this weekend from a shoulder/sling bag to a backpack/daypack. So I voted for 3-- pockets, sling bag, and backpack.

At times I have carried a lighter and should probably make it a constant. I am also beginning to look for a replacement for my pocket flashlight. My pocket knife is a small Gerber that I picked up for about $10. I have lost too many pocket knives to hungry recliners and sofas to spring for anything pricier. It seems as though the more they cost the quicker I lose them.
Quote:At times I have carried a lighter and should probably make it a constant.

I'm just a big fan of carrying a lighter.  I don't smoke, but the ability to make fire can be so useful in an emergency situation.  Warmth, signalling for rescue, light, protection from animals, psychological value etc. 

If you take a look in the 'Fire' section below you'll see a ton of stuff on Zippo, Bic, ferro rods etc.  All sorts of ways to make fire.  I carry an orange Zippo and detail the reasons why in the Zippo thread.  In short, it can take so many types of fuels to make it work that it's a versatile tool.  I also carry a peanut lighter on my survival key chain which is basically a small Zippo type lighter that takes the same parts.  And in my sling back I have one of those small Bic lighters as a back up.

Quote:I am also beginning to look for a replacement for my pocket flashlight.

What kinda?  AA or AAA or maybe one that uses a lithium ion battery?  The survival key chain I mentioned above has a Tinker SAK, peanut lighter, AAA flashlight (ThruNite TiS) and pocket clip (which is the best invention since sliced bread). 

On my car key chain I have a Fenix 05 which is also a great AAA light. 

If you want something a bit bigger, but still very small for the pocket, the Nitecore EA11 or EC11 are great lights with a lot of options.  The EA11 is especially nice as it will take either a AA battery or a 14500 battery so it has power options. 

Lots of Olights might fit your bill and we've got some Olight experts on the board that can chime in with some suggestions.

Thanks for the advice! I do have a lighter, matches, and firesteel in my GHB but I have had occasions where a lighter in my pocket would have proven quite handy. I do have a Zippo, guess I just need to man up, fluid up, and add it to my pocket stuff.

As for the flashlight: there are so many choices it is a bit overwhelming! My current light is about the size of my pinky so its metaphorical footprint in my pocket is minimal. I would be ok with something just a bit larger especially if it was brighter and tougher (which would not be hard to accomplish, the current light cost me a whopping 7 bucks, got it at my local gun shop, and to be honest it has served me well for 5 years.) I have lights that utilize AAA, AA, and CR123 already so battery size isn't driving my decision. I keep batteries of all these types at all times. I have seen some reviews on Olights (been awhile, though) and I know that there are more players in the game than there were say 10 years ago. I'll be looking up these lights that you mentioned. Thanks again!
Quote:I have had occasions where a lighter in my pocket would have proven quite handy.

What I like about Zippo, that I discussed and linked videos on in the Fire section, is the ability to take so many different fuels.  If you go to Home Depot, in the paint section, you can buy a can of Naptha which is the same thing as lighter fluid.  About the same cost as one of those Zippo lighter fluid cans but much more quantity.  Years worth of fuel.  Denatured alcohol and mineral spirits also come in those can sizes.  Throw a Ranger band on the ole Zippo and it will last for 2-3 weeks before you have to add fluid.  

But for minimalist size, the peanut lighter is hard to beat!  Same wick and flint as Zippo so the parts are compatible.  And with a good O-ring the fuel will last six months or longer.  I did an experiment with one down in the Fire section.  If you get a peanut lighter, make sure it is the kind that unscrews from both ends. 

Peanut lighter on Ebay

This is an example of the type I have that is shaped like a bullet.  If you look at the photos you'll notice that you can unscrew both ends.  This is important because the cheaper ones only unscrew at the cap which means you have to pull the insert out to refuel.  Eventually, I guess because of the fluid, the top seam comes apart and it is really hard to get the insert out.  Usually the guts just pull out and it's a mess.  The one that unscrews at the bottom, like the bullet type, allows you to add the fuel through the bottom without having to pull out an insert.  Just make sure the O-rings are good and it's a LOT easier. 

Like I mentioned above, I have my peanut lighter on a small 'survival' key chain that I take everywhere with a AAA light and SAK.  And definitely get a pocket clip!  You can get them on Ebay for less than a buck and they are the same ones that some places charge $20!  Keeps your key chain from bunching up in the bottom of your pocket.  Just makes it better. 

As far as flashlights, well Bmyers and I are flashoholics Big Grin and I'm a member of Budget Light Forum so between us we can answer a lot of questions.  Ebay and Amazon have a gazillion AAA and AA flashlights with LED's that are inexpensive and bright and work great.  For grins I just ordered an AAA LED light off Aliexpress for less than $2 to see what it's like.

OK, educate me on a "Ranger band'. That was one of my concerns with the Zippo, you lose fluid over time even if you aren't using it. If you smoked and used it often every day then no problem. They are great lighters.
I Ranger band is a very high tech piece of tactical equipment for your Zippo....nah, not really Big Grin 

Cut a piece of bike inner tube and put it around your Zippo.  Reduces the time it takes for the filler to dry out/evaporate.  Found a good YT video that has a ranger band and the idea to have some extra flints and a wick.  I do this as well.  

Guess I have to hunt up a bike tire tube. I have spare flints and wicks, I will be doing this. Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question What kind of EDC do you normally carry? David 7 1,107 01-22-2019, 02:26 PM
Last Post: David
  What do Spec Ops dudes carry every day? Every Day Carry (EDC) Pocket Dump David 6 1,442 05-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Foldable bikes for full time vehicle carry Cowboy1964 4 2,058 04-24-2017, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Cowboy1964