Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
President's Nat'l Infastructure Advisory Council
Information 
President's Nat'l Infastructure Advisory Council

Saw this posted on GT.  Of interest in the post was the report suggests the 'new emerging preparedness standard' for individuals and families is no longer 72-hrs, but 14-days, during which you're expected to be on your own resource-wise. That appears to mean water, food, heat, and shelter.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
After the pressure cooking bombing, a section of Boston or a nearby town was put down on indefinite lockdown. I predicted that it would be released within 3 hours.

1. no first responder is deployed with a supply of water and food in anticipation of a lockdown/siege/standoff;
2. most people do not stock much by way of food at home and I think it is like 40% of the meals are purchased outside the home.

Now, I put it in laymen's terms. The cops are not deployed with a thermos of coffee and sandwiches. The mass of urban humanity order out for pizza.

So your federal government can recommend 14 days (actually it is closer to 30 in the real world) and no one is going to pay attention. US Civil War ration for people when they were smaller - 1 pound of hardtack (bread), 1 pound of salt pork, coffee and whatever greens you could find along the way. Make-it-yourself hardtack costs about $1 a pound, no including water, and depreciation of an oven and the gas used to bake. You live in a world where very few people have $15 worth of hardtack stored, but they will spend $15 for a large 3 ingredient pizza.
I know I have been encouraging people to have at least one week of supplies on hand for disaster. Trying to get them to understand that the more they have on hand, the easier it is going to be for them if something bad happens.
I have to shake my head at the people that rush out and buy emergency preparedness stuff, at the last minute, when something like a storm is coming only to turn around and return it all when the storm passes or takes a different direction. Like it's radioactive and they've got to get it out of their house or something.

After Katrina the Feds put a lot of time and money into Emergency Preparedness. The goal was to funnel money down to the local level and provide them with training, i.e, CERT, CBERN and other programs. I was personally involved in 4 separate CERT programs, one at the college I worked at, one at a high school, one at the local community where both were, and one at my home city. I actually put together, taught and got equipment for the college and HS program. I was also on the regional and state committees which allocated EM funds through FEMA. This is one of the best things the Feds ever did.

However, the college and HS programs I founded dissolved after I retired. Without an emergency to actually respond to the other programs became a mere shell of what they were. People get bored. It's like practicing, practicing, practicing but never getting to play a game. People lose interest. Unless you live in an area/region where you are likely to have a disaster once in awhile (i.e. Florida, gulf coast, California etc, etc) it's hard to pay attention or keep up with the preps.

On the other hand prepping has become more mainstream. I've been preaching it for years to family and friends and just about all of them now have some form of preps in place.
14 day is a walk in park.... most here are well prepared.

Neighbors, not so much Smile
I was trained in the FEMA ICS800 series to be in command of incidents etc.

1 day to get there 1 day to set up 1 day to start taking actions.

3 days assumes you are the first to be rescued...
(09-25-2019, 01:13 AM)Bob Wrote: I was trained in the FEMA ICS800 series to be in command of incidents etc. 
Same here.

(09-25-2019, 02:38 PM)David Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 01:13 AM)Bob Wrote: I was trained in the FEMA ICS800 series to be in command of incidents etc. 
Same here.

Me too.
(09-26-2019, 12:05 AM)bmyers Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 02:38 PM)David Wrote:
Same here.

Me too.

Me three

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump first president to protect electric grid from EMP, cyberattacks David 7 1,629 06-24-2018, 03:04 PM
Last Post: kirgi08
  Things you REALLY should be worried about besides the President Bob 10 4,988 12-22-2016, 11:49 PM
Last Post: mac66