Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple watch
Well, my cardiologist recommended that I get an Apple Watch series 4.  The watch can take an ECG as well as heart rate, document it and send it off to your doctor.  It can alert you to an abnormal heart beat, has emergency SOS feature and can detect if you fall.  On top of a lot of other cool features.

Normally I probably wouldn't have looked at them.  Just another piece of tech I didn't need.  However, maybe on this one I do need it.  The series 5 is coming out so the 4's are going down in price.  So I bought one yesterday (series 4) at Costco for $359.  Most expensive watch I've every bought but I splurged on myself.  I'm covered under the 'Heart and Lung Bill' as a first responser to they will be picking up part of the tab since the doctor actually gave me a prescription for it. 

So now I'm looking at YT videos that go into all the features and such.  This one is not the cellular version, didn't figure I needed that since I have my phone.  But when near my phone I can make and receive calls, texts and mail on it.  So pretty cool.

Sometimes tech isn't too bad.   Smile
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Will the phone call 911 when you are wrestling a bad guy to the ground thinking that you have fallen? Smile
(09-17-2019, 01:47 PM)bmyers Wrote: Will the phone call 911 when you are wrestling a bad guy to the ground thinking that you have fallen?  Smile

Big Grin 

For almost 29 years I've been the 'karate' guy on the shift.  The guy they call when they are expecting hands-on action.  I got promoted back in January and I'm now in charge of a squad of 12 Deputies.  It took some getting use to honesty because now I'm the guy that is suppose to hang back and supervise while the younger Deputies go hands-on and take care of business.  I have still gotten into it occasionally but after this last episode I am rethinking things.  My time of being a bad-arse at work has come to a close unless it is just forced on me.  Then I'll deal with it accordingly.  But it is time to step back and let the next generation gain the experience.

1. thank you for the information of the Apple Watch 4. I don't even own a cell phone, so I am behind in the technology.
2. sorry that at your young age, you have to have a cardiologist.
3. I am much older than you and figured out a medical approach that works for me.
a. I have given over 60 pints of whole blood. When I go in every two months, I have the blood pressure/pulse rate/iron tested - for free.
b. I am on a three month continuous recall with the dermatologist. $10 a visit. Went yesterday and also got the free flu shot (which any one can get for free at a county health clinic).
4. you mentioned being the tough guy. yesterday, I went up on the appropriate ladder to get down light globes and clean them. decided that I cannot do that anymore and will have a handyman do it next time. Sucks to become a senior. Great, however, to avoid physical injury. I gave up san soo when I ended up in the hospital for a week. '
Just to let know. Years ago, I had an older girl friend who was so much into skiing that she also had a condo in Vail, Co. Finally, one day, she quit skiing and sold her condo. We agreed that it was the right decision.
(09-18-2019, 03:18 PM)bdcochran Wrote: 1.  thank you for the information of the Apple Watch 4.  I don't even own a cell phone, so I am behind in the technology.

I really didn't know very much about the Apple watch until one of the cardiologists showed me when I was in the hospital.  The technology now is pretty amazing.  It can do an EKG on your wrist that is suppose to be as accurate as having all the leads hooked up on your chest/arms/legs. 

I don't like depending upon technology of course, however, I'm coming to see this as a piece of prep gear.  A lot of times we see 'prep' stuff as SHTF sorta stuff.  However, it's just as true tht prep stuff is everyday sort of stuff.  The ability to monitor your heart is definitely a prep.  Being able to 'Dick Tracy' talk to someone on your wrist is a prep.  I don't even have to dial it, I just say 'call so and so' and the watch calls them.  That has some valuable uses. 

Of course it counts your steps, activity and all sorts of other cool dodads.  It even tells time Big Grin 

So no, we don't rely on technology but we can definitely use it on the day-to-day towards our various goals.