Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And our first Hurricane is inbound!
Snore....

Likely no big deal, and will hit other coast even if it makes Cat 1.  But you never know.

Still, Damn preparedness has now given me nothing to do but enjoy myself and wait...
I went thru 3 on the west coast yrs ago.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.
Looks like they are starting to upgrade it, may hit as a 3 or higher when it strikes Florida.

"However, there has been considerable run-to-run variability among the models, so confidence in the long-term track remains low," the NHC said in a forecast discussion early Wednesday.

Among the myriad track possibilities are a track farther north along the Southeast coast or one slicing across the Florida Peninsula, then emerging into the Gulf of Mexico.

Furthermore, it is increasingly likely Dorian will both intensify and grow in size as it moves toward the Southeast U.S.

Dorian will likely be a formidably strong hurricane by that time.
Important "Cone of probability" item, that most people miss. The likelihood of it being as far north as as far south as right down the middle of the cone is all the same. The Cone means - 95% it will be somewhere between here and here - the middle is as likely as anywhere.

That said...I might grab a can of propane and a gas eof water....or two.
I got a cousin in miami,the rest are west coast.'08.

Since we have so many members south,I'll stick this thread.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.
I will be curious to see if it crosses Florida and re-strengthens and hits along the gulf area.

Didn't hurricane Katrina do something like that?
Yes it did. We were actually on a cruise in the Gulf at the time. Fortunately, we never felt even the direct effects of it due to timing.

It is possible that this storm cuts across Florida and into the Gulf. Right now it's forecast to be a Cat3 by the time it's off the east coast of Florida. If it cuts across it's likely to drop to a Cat1 by the time it gets to the other side. And that's the current forecast as well. So if it enters the Gulf it will likely be a Cat1 or a Tropical storm. It's speed will determine whether or not it strengthens before a second land fall.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
The forecast has been updated, possibly looking at Cat4 before landfall. Still looking at Cat1 in our area.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Yep, just seen that on the news:

Forecasters believe the storm will strengthen into a dangerous Category 3 hurricane by Friday while staying well east of the southern and central Bahamas before making a turn towards Florida by Sunday afternoon. At that time, the latest NHC forecast is for the storm to be a Category 4 storm as it approaches Florida.
Reporting this morning that the storm has slowed down, good news-pushes back the arrival time; bad news-timing now has it at high tide, stronger storm, and hitting Florida for a longer period.

Guessing those in Florida may get to test out some of the preps over the coming days.

It will be interesting to see what lessons are learned from this storm.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Hurricane Irma - Post Event/Lessons Learned David 26 8,310 09-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: mac66
  Hurricane Irma bmyers 65 15,727 09-12-2017, 04:05 PM
Last Post: fishingjeff
  And we are again 60 days out from Hurricane Season... Bob 38 12,816 09-07-2017, 01:49 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Hurricane Harvey Bob 16 4,257 09-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  Hurricane Matthew David 11 4,505 10-28-2016, 10:05 PM
Last Post: JRSC