Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you could have only one firearm?
Question 

I put this thread here rather than the ‘Defense’ section because the topic encompasses more than just self defense when we’re looking at it from the angle of emergency preparedness.  Defense is a consideration but we could also toss hunting, survival or even an armed conflict into the discussion.  Different folks will have different thought processes depending on training, concerns, area they live etc.  For some a long gun is the obvious choice, for others a pistol or revolver.  Here is a Paul Harrel video that got me thinking about the topic.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Only one gun and it has to meet all my needs, I would have to go with my Mossberg 500. I'm making the assumption that all the various ammo that I would want for the 12 gauge would be available.

If the various ammo is not available, then my choice changes.
A lot of thought needs to go into this one. Is it an extended SHTF situation. Regional or national social unrest? What are the realistic priorities? Sure, self-defense is high on the list but other considerations are on the table that may change depending on your location. Or for some of our members, what country they live in.

I have an initial thought, but want to put some thought behind it first.

My thought process, the 500 has interchangeable barrels. It can go from a short 18 inch home defense gun to a hunting gun. Although to make use of the different barrels, you need the different style ammo to meet the needs.
Fortunately this is all hypothetical, but a fun and interesting intellectual challenge.

My thoughts; 

In/after a situation that may been an extended amount of time, in my area, I think the prime consideration would be HD.  I'm unlikely to be moving far from home base.  In that scenario the obvious choice is either the 870 or 500 for the reasons mentioned above.  I've been shooting the 870 at work for 29 years and have gotten really good with it.  However, although my son could use either shotgun my wife and her sister could not.  My wife might be able to get a shot off with it from the hip but that would probably be about it.  And since she has zero experience with it due to not being able to train with it beyond watching me, it probably wouldn't be the best overall choice for us.  If something happened to me and/or my son then the one and only firearm would be all but useless.

AR15 could be a good option, however, it presents the same difficulties as the shotgun in that my wife has zero training with it and again, could only shoot it from the hip.  That of course is sub-optimal.

PCC would be a good option.  Wife loves the PCC and it's usable by the whole family.  Takes Glock mags and perhaps could even be used for hunting with the smaller Florida deer.  Folds up into a small, discrete 'gray man' package.  Only draw back that I can see is that again, wife has to shoot from the hip which is why I've attached a laser.  From this position, with the laser, at typical defense distances she does really well.  Not the ideal way to shoot a long gun of course, but it's doable, she likes it, trains with it and during normal times is perfectly fine and functional.  However, if considering a situation then I'd have to make this a close second but then rule it out.  Simply because for her, it has dependence on the laser.  Batteries run out and it's mechanical and could fail.  Though she could still shoot from the hip without it, again, not the best overall solution.

So having thought about it for a bit, I'm going with the Glock 26.  This platform is usable by the whole family and she can shoot a pistol normally.  It takes higher capacity mags.  It has proven to be reliable, durable and accurate.  It's concealable if/when necessary for gray man.  And I think HD would be the primary consideration.  We are somewhat between urban and rural.  Within a short walk I can be in the woods.  Within a few hours walk I can be in some pretty substantial woods.  So hunting is an option, and could be doable on the outside with a 9mm considering we have smaller game in Florida (not counting hog) but probably not the primary consideration for my location.  I'd probably have better luck fishing since there are so many bodies of water in our area.  Like a LOT. 

So that's what I'm thinking for this hypothetical scenario.

I'm thinking an AR pistol in 5.56. Fairly light weight and compact and fairly easy to shoot by just about everyone. With a 10.5"-11.5" bbl muzzle blast isn't too much of a factor. Can use it on just about anything from HD to hunting deer with the right loads. Ammo, mags and parts are plentiful. Can carry it with a concealed pistol permit (if that is even a factor). Can be used with a 22 conversion kit and other caliber and barrel length uppers if allowed.

On the other hand....Paul makes a good argument for a 22 rifle, specifically the 10/22. It is easy for anyone to shoot and 10 or 25 shots out of one would be good for HD. One thing he fails to mention is that a 22 rifle is fairly quiet and/or can be suppressed pretty easily (pop bottle). One shot in the woods with a 22 is hard to locate if stealth is an issue. It can be used for hunting/poaching just about any kind of game. A Charger or home made 10/22 pistol with a brace might be a good option in that it is more concealable and handier to carry.

[Image: vZuzICw.jpg]
I always have, and always will go with the shotgun. I'm a Mossberg 500 guy (Have a 500 Persuader and 535 for hunting with multiple barrels). But an 870- would be fine too.

I look at it having to be a gun that can do everything from shoot a bird on the wing to a bad guy in a hall. Crowd defense vs Deer offense. Sturdy, simple, reliable, forgiving accuracy under stress.

Dave - everything I read your stuff about the wife I keep thinking "She is not a shooter" in the effective sense. I get it - she knows how guns work and CAN shoot - I'm just saying if she can only shoot a9mm carbine from the hip, she does not count as an effective member of a fighting force. I wouldn't build a one gun around her at all.

I have to go for best all-around when you really don't know. A pistol is at best good for personal defense and maybe some fortunate hunting. No doubt a lot of advantages. But when it comes to eating - which you have to seriously consider, it is weak compared to the shotgun period, and not as effective at HD either. But I get why you might choose it for you.

Now - if two guns....almost any combo is a win. 870 and a Taurus 4". 357, or an AR and a Kimber .45, A Glock 17 and a Beretta Storm....we can go on all day. I still say EVERY home in America need a hand gun and a 12/20g shotgun.
In this hypothetical scenario, I need to consider the possibility of 'what if' something were to happen to me. If that were the case, a shotgun would be all but useless to her. On the other hand, she can fish and loves fish and fishing. With the amount of ponds, lakes and rivers in our area, she would fish rather than hunt.

I agree that a 12g is pretty much on any serious preppers 'need to have' list and that's why I have two of them. But this was kind of a fun, intellectual challenge to consider as many variable as possible.

(08-25-2019, 09:46 PM)David Wrote: In this hypothetical scenario, I need to consider the possibility of 'what if' something were to happen to me.  If that were the case, a shotgun would be all but useless to her.  On the other hand, she can fish and loves fish and fishing.  With the amount of ponds, lakes and rivers in our area, she would fish rather than hunt.  

I agree that a 12g is pretty much on any serious preppers 'need to have' list and that's why I have two of them.  But this was kind of a fun, intellectual challenge to consider as many variable as possible.

Fall back for your wife...10/22
(08-25-2019, 10:06 PM)mac66 Wrote:
(08-25-2019, 09:46 PM)David Wrote: In this hypothetical scenario, I need to consider the possibility of 'what if' something were to happen to me.  If that were the case, a shotgun would be all but useless to her.  On the other hand, she can fish and loves fish and fishing.  With the amount of ponds, lakes and rivers in our area, she would fish rather than hunt.  

I agree that a 12g is pretty much on any serious preppers 'need to have' list and that's why I have two of them.  But this was kind of a fun, intellectual challenge to consider as many variable as possible.

Fall back for your wife...10/22

We have a couple of Marlin 60's which she likes real well.  Not as quick loading as the 10/22 of course, but a heck of a lot of fun to shot Smile