Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test of no electricity
Had a GOOD storm blow thru last night.... heavy rain, 50-60 MPH wind.  Good thing it was fast moving.
But, got home soaked ( with wife and grdkid ; went to ballgame ) and of course power was out.

Flashlights and led candles previously placed in home got us thru the first mins; one in every room handy 
Everything worked just fine... pulled out gennie , fired up, had house running in 15+ mins.

Ran it for a few hours last night and 2 hrs this morning...( gotta have coffee ) to keep the freezer/fridge up and hot water.
Was just about to run for a couple more when power came back.
Power outage total of 14 hrs.

Just nice to know , all was set up and ready.... and actually worked as should.

PS... good time now to rotate gas for the year. ( keep 3-6 gallon stabilized containers always ready )
and check battery storage amount
It is nice to have a test run every now and then, and comforting to know you've got it covered.  Powers been out 2-3 times over the last couple of months, it's been a very wet summer in this part of Florida.  One stretch was probably around 10+ hours.  We have flashlights scattered throughout the house and I pull the charger out every so often to make sure all the batteries are topped off.  Have several battery and solar powered lanterns as well. 

What I don't have is a generator.  Not totally up on them to be honest.  Not sure what I would need to run the house including AC, which in Florida is sometimes more than a luxury.  My wife, son and I would be okay if necessary but my SIL lives with us and is in her mid 60's with some issues.  She doesn't do well at all in heat.  I have an 1800 sq ft home and a 3 1/2 ton AC.  Anyone want to ballpark what size generator I'd need?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
AC is going to pull alot... prob close to a 40A breaker ( 220v ) for an ac unit
My unit runs at 6000w continuous ( something like 7500 surge ) does oil burner, freezer,fridge, all lights...with enough to run micro wave and tv , etc.
I can live with the ceiling fans here.
Mine is hooked into a 10 circuit transfer box with 30a 3pole plug for 220v

You prob have to have a 10K min as a guess for me, and directly wired like a Generac unit .
http://www.generac.com/all-products/gene...fi-enabled

Thing to consider is how you fuel it... propane is easy but a 20lb( about 3 gall ) tank is aprox equal to 5 gal of gas.... so it would be at least a 120gal tank ( they hold 100gal at 80% fill )

and how long you can run... I need a min of 3hrs a day to keep heat and freezers/fridge up ( 1hr each; morning, noon, night )
my normal plan is at least 10 days
Just a rough estimate---2  40 amp circuits for the ac[compressor and air handler] is approx. 17,600 watts. To cover all other necessities go to a 25,000 watt genny. Propane fueled by a 500 gal buried tank.  Have an electrician  install an ATS to cover enough circuits to cover the immediate needs of your SIL, until someone gets home [bathroom, kitchen, her bedroom, tv area, house security lites[and alarm], her most used cordless phone].

Just my ideas to help you decide.
Buy a whole house unit that runs on natural gas if you have natural gas. Natural gas won't go out during a power outage and it's a direct connection.

Or get a portable genset and a window AC unit and keep everybody in a specific room during the outage. I consider a back up genset just that, a backup i.e, not meant to run the whole house just enough circuits to get through a crisis.

When we had a power outage in the summer once we closed up the house except for one window on the main floor in which we ran a window fan blowing out. We then opened a couple vent windows in the basement. The fan drew air through the basement windows cooling it and blew out the warm air on the main floor at the opposite end of the house. With everything else closed, it stayed pretty cool.
Here's a good lead sheet for most house items.... including 3 ton ac unit
https://www.hoecoop.org/sites/default/fi...orTips.pdf

PS, the extras do cost... my 10 circuit Transfer box was about $400 yrs ago... I was able to wire myself but elec work if needed would prob match the cost.
wouldn't be surprised if it was double today.
I appreciate the info guys. I'll have to put some thought into this. I have a portable AC unit that I keep out on the enclosed patio so that's an option. Could roll it into any room I want and set it up near a window for the exhaust.

We have a window AC unit that we store in our garage. It provides us with an immediate AC unit that we can toss into a window if anything happens to our main unit. It also is small enough to run on our generator and in the past we have used it to cool our living room with everyone sleeping in the living.
My wife and I talked about this today in the car as we drove to a family get-together.  We have a portable AC unit on the patio that can be moved around fairly easily.  I need to get a new exhaust duct for it as the original fell apart.  But the exhaust duct can be hooked to a slat that fits in any standard window.  It's 14,000 BTU.  Our thoughts are a portable generator that is large enough to run that portable AC, both fridges and some fans and lights.  At least it's a start to think about.

It could work, as many items don't need to be on all the time... you just pick and choose what needs to run and how long.