Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skunks
Had to kill a skunk today.   I heard the neighbor's dog barking and growling when I went to look I heard the neighbor yell.  In their yard was skunk that was kind of crawling on it's belly then rolling onto it's side. Obviously it was sick or injured.

I advised the neighbor to call animal control but they wouldn't come out.  She said she was going to shoot it with her 9 mm.   I told her to hold off while I fetched my 22 rifle.  I have a single shot bolt action (among a bunch of other stuff) that is pretty quiet. I loaded it with Super Colibres which are primer fired and 20 gr, low velocity and very quiet. One close up shot to the head did the trick. The shot was quieter than most air rifles. In fact the neighbor didn't even know I fired standing 25 feet away.

[Image: 0XQ3lbr.jpg]
Have a bunch of old 22 BB caps... that's just what they were made for.
( use them in an old Ithaca Model 49 )
BTW, the rifle I used was a Winchester mod 68 which I got from my dad.

The 68 was only made from 1936 until 1943. It was my dad's first gun which he got for his 9th birthday (he was born in 1928). He lived on a farm and would walk a couple miles into town and carry it to school. On the way home he would shoot rabbits or pheasants and take them home for dinner.
Think it was rabid?  Definitely sounds like it had some sort of illness.  Good to have something appropriate to end it's suffering.  Around here I'd probably have to use my .22 air rifle to keep the neighbors from freaking out.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(08-19-2019, 02:49 AM)David Wrote: Think it was rabid?  Definitely sounds like it had some sort of illness.  Good to have something appropriate to end it's suffering.  Around here I'd probably have to use my .22 air rifle to keep the neighbors from freaking out.

Definitely sick with something.  The rifle I used with the Super Colibres was as quiet as an air rifle. Now that you mention it however, I should probably pick up a good quality pellet gun.
Been really pleased with the Beeman Silver Kodiak X2 Dual Caliber Air Rifle Combo (that's a mouthful to say).  Got it from WM for about $100.  Comes with both .177 and .22 barrels.  Been accurate and works well.  Seems like a nice bridge between the cheap junky rifles and the uber expensive models.  

Of course I also have the inexpensive Crossman Pumpmaster 760 from WM.  My brother recommended it back when he had 26 acres out in the middle of nowhere.  He dispatched untold numbers of critters with it for years and years.  It was all he ever needed for such tasks and it simply did the job in .177.  Think if finally needed a new seal or something.  But for the initial 'next to nothing' investment he sure got his money out of it.

Lots of good YT videos on it.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.