Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Secret Service switching to 9mm Glock pistols
https://abcnews.go.com/US/us-secret-serv...d=64719349

The United States Secret Service is moving forward with plans to outfit its agents with Glock 9 millimeter (mm) pistols to replace the agency's existing Sig Sauer .357-caliber duty weapons -- part of a larger move among U.S. law enforcement agencies towards the lighter, more efficient guns.

“The Secret Service has been one of the few agencies that has maintained Sig Sauer as a permanent duty weapon for more than 20 years,” said Donald J. Mihalek, a retired senior Secret Service agent and ABC News contributor.

The Secret Service and Glock declined to comment on the move, but a federal official with direct knowledge of the deal confirmed the agency's plan to switch to the Glock 9 mm pistols. Details of the new deal were recently posted on fedbizops.gov, the federal government's website for posting procurement opportunities above $25,000 for private sector companies.

The Secret Service -- whose primary mission is to protect presidents, vice-presidents and their families -- employs about 3,200 special agents, 1,300 uniformed officers and more than 2,000 other support personnel, according to its website.
I'm surprised that they stuck with the .357sig for as long as they did to be honest.  Not that it isn't a good round, but it must be pretty expensive to train with.  Also somewhat curious is that they didn't stick with Sig and use the P320/M17 like the military.  Not that Glock isn't a great choice and honestly the military would have probably been better off going with the G17/19 instead of wasting all of that money on 'trials'.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Again - we look at it as a financial/performance decision.

It's really a company payola decision. Glock won because they paid more/discounted deeper.
(08-03-2019, 03:01 PM)Bob Wrote: Again - we look at it as a financial/performance decision.

It's really a company payola decision.  Glock won because they paid more/discounted deeper.

Glock creative marketing is a gimmie.  One of the reasons they were so upset about the military trials.  A lot of the Glock 'mystic' has been manufactured by Glock and repeated by their minions online.  I say that to Glock's credit, they were very successful in turning a 'good' pistol into a 'tard-lover' pistol that can do no wrong.

Still, it's a good choice for any agency.

When I was involved with choosing a pistol for our department it became apparent pretty quickly that the Glock was quite innovative, simple to use, light weight, reliable and accurate. The costs to the department was very good as well. It is a very good and probably the best all around service pistol. I own one Glock, an old Gen II G22 so I'm not exactly a glocktard. There is a reason why they are so popular and the reason isn't because of marketing. Marketing didn't make it a great product. In this case a great product made the marketing easy and successful.
I think most of the members of the forum are older.

I am impressed when a department asks inside the department for opinions on new gear.

Most people read a gun magazine (interesting that there is a complementary article on a new product and coincidentally there is a colorful, dynamic, full page advertisement for the product in the same publication) and want to go out and get the "new and improved".

I relate two stories about how skills trump the weapon.

Dave was president of the Southwest Pistol League. He was grandfathered in his department and allowed to carry a 6 inch revolver. He would shoot the dynamic contests with the duty weapon. Other guys were on the cutting edge of technology - buying Pachmeyer .45s with the new concept of pistol scopes. Dave never won a competition. In fact, he was ridiculed by some of the winners.

One day, there was a hostage situation outside the precinct building. Dave did a head shot - and retired within days thereafter.

We had 4 CHP officers with issued revolvers killed in one day. They had quality revolvers. In one officer's pocket was his spent .38 special cases. I explain why. He was bullseye shooter and many competitions. This means standing perfectly still, extending one arm fully and shooting. Not ergonomically a correct position for even stationary shooting, much less shooting while in movement.

Dave "won" because his training was realistic.
(08-04-2019, 03:36 PM)mac66 Wrote: When I was involved with choosing a pistol for our department it became apparent pretty quickly that the Glock was quite innovative, simple to use, light weight, reliable and accurate. The costs to the department was very good as well. It is a very good and probably the best all around service pistol.  I own one Glock, an old Gen II G22 so I'm not exactly a glocktard. There is a reason why they are so popular and the reason isn't because of marketing. Marketing didn't make it a great product. In this case a great product made the marketing easy and successful.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way in regards to the 'tard' statement.  I don't think anyone here is a Glocktard.  Everyone here has common sense to chose the platform they feel works best for them.  My tard comment was more in line with some folks on GT who take the 'perfection' motto as real and absolute.

I have three Glocks myself, G26.4, G22.4 and 19X. 

And taking nothing away from the pistol, it is a good, solid, reliable and functional pistol, I do feel that Glock's marketing has led to their mystique.  In many cases they've practically given their pistols away to get the contracts to get the % of L.E. market.  Again, smart strategy and it works.  It's led to a whole generation that feels anything Gaston sends down from on high is golden perfection.  And that isn't directed at anyone on this board, just to be clear.  General statement from what I see on GT sometimes.

David Wrote:Please don't take my comments the wrong way in regards to the 'tard' statement.  I don't think anyone here is a Glocktard.

I have three Glocks myself, G26.4, G22.4 and 19X.  

Well, almost no one... Tongue Cool Big Grin

But seriously, Glock is the first real Price/Performer pistol with small/medium and large sizes, with high parts compatibility.  I'm a "Don't dig the grip" guy.  But you just can't hate and they have a LOT going for them.
I like Glock, but I could definitely do without the finger grooves on the compact and sub-compact models.  They just don't fit my hand right.  The full size seems to be okay but I still prefer no grooves.  I'm contemplating milling off the groove on my G26.  Doesn't seem to be that difficult with a dremel.

I also think they get over on people with the cheap arse plastic sights.

The sights could definitely use improvement.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Glock 42 David 29 3,947 01-27-2019, 03:28 PM
Last Post: David
  The Next New GLOCK…A10-Round 43X bmyers 11 1,053 01-12-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: bmyers
  Glock 45 David 10 1,150 09-26-2018, 05:26 PM
Question Pmag for Glock? David 5 948 08-13-2018, 04:48 PM
  Glock Perfection Bob 68 17,288 08-10-2018, 02:59 PM
  FIREARMS: JUSTIFICATION FOR PACKABLE AR15 PISTOLS IN VEHICLES David 6 1,138 07-13-2018, 01:07 AM
  Glock G33, Gen4, another winner. TN.Frank 3 694 06-26-2018, 01:09 PM
  Goodbye Glock Gen 3...sorta. David 2 1,004 04-02-2018, 12:19 PM
  Glock releasing new guns bmyers 13 3,531 01-28-2018, 03:55 PM
Question Glock beaver tail David 3 1,083 01-10-2018, 04:33 PM