Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Picaridin Insect Repellent
Wasn't sure where to post this, but as you know I have been spending the last few days out cleaning up around the farm. The grass/weeds/brush have been from waist height to over 6ft. The bugs have been horrible. 

Before I went out each day I used the Picaridin Insect Repellent lotion. I have had zero mosquitoes bites and I had one tick on my arm that was actually trying to crawl off of me and it fell to the ground. Wife has checked me head to toe for any unwanted guest on none on me. 

Yes, I have been mowing in a cab tractor, but before we mow an area, we walk it to check for any hidden dangers and to make sure there are no fawns laying around. We have spooked several does, but so far not found any fawns. 

One other step I took was to spray my hat, boots, and blues jeans with Permethrin spray.

So for me, this seems to have worked well and I hope to be able to say by the time winter arrives that this process kept me bite free.

Link to the lotion:
https://smile.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products...167&sr=8-3

Link to the spray:
https://smile.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products...3XNARGA514
Good idea to spray your clothing and boots. Gives another layer of protection and a barrier before your skin. Can't be too careful, particularly with ticks.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I am just passing on a related series of thoughts.

Today, we live in mosquito control districts and other health districts.  Tomorrow, they may not be of assistance.  Accordingly, I have a couple of no-see-em head covers, mosquito netting, house spray insecticides.  When the significant other is gone for a few days as well as the dog, I bomb the house.  It is no problem to have the items on hand NOW so if things go bad, they can be readily accessed.
We make sure we tip over anything in the yard that could hold water after a rain.  We have a DIY spray can that I do around the perimeter of the house and around the doors and windows.  That does a very good job.  Essential oils do very well as a personal repellent.  Gotta stay on top of it, particularly in the rainy summer.  Mosquitoes are a huge problem here just before sunset and throughout the summer months all night.  Big suckers!  Makes camping in the summer miserable, not even counting the mugginess and trying to sleep.  We tried it one camping trip years ago, the SEP group here, man was it a lousy nights sleep.  Even with mosquito netting the constant buzzing around your head, combined with the muggy warmth and I couldn't get to sleep till around 4am.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.