Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new project re chargers
I have a huge file of combined chargers and flashlight manuals.  Have to break it apart.

David suggested using 14500 batteries in Sipik sk68 flashlights.  Put aside a flashlight perhaps getting hot, I thought maybe I should acquire 14500 and recharge.

Problems:
1.  you can not use some of the existing rechargers so each one has to be researched.  If one of my existing chargers can be used, I need to identify it permanently and/or easily. 
2.  you cannot use 2 14500 batteries in most flashlights that use 2 aa batteries.

Thanks David! Sad Big Grin
A normal AA is 1.5V and a rechargeable AA is usually 1.2V.  A 14500 battery is 3.7V so you get a noticeable adjustment in brightness going from one to the other.  Typically, and this will vary so take this as an approximate guideline, a Sipik/SK68 will typically be around 80ish lumens on an AA (primary or rechargeable) whereas it can get up to around 300 lumens with a 14500.  

Nitecore is the brand of charger I'm currently using but there are many good brands available.  Many of them will charge lithium ion as well as Nimh and Nycad.  Many of them have a digital read-out which is nice as well.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
+1 on the nitecore chargers
Thank you for the information.  

This is what I am doing and why.
1.  Each of the flashlights for which I have information will receive a separate file cabinet folder.  Presently, all those manuals/information are in one file with the charger and tester manuals.
2.  Each charger with a manual gets a separate file.
3.  Each tester with a manual gets a separate file.

Now as to the chargers.
1.  I have many chargers.  Some are like the cheap 18650 chargers that were thrown into a sales package without any suggestion as to what charge is being done, turn off automatically features . . . .  I don't use them and they go into a pile in a plastic container.  Why I don't simply give them away, I don't know.
2.  I am not particularly lazy.  However, someone may some day user one of the chargers without reading a manual.  It is like having a 3-5 mode flashlight that requires a person to sit and read a manual or memorize.  So, I am keeping it simple.  If the charger says  AA or AAA or is one of the slow trickle chargers requiring a setting, I am not going to use it for 14500 batteries. If the manual for the charger does not mention 14500, it is not going to be used for charging that kind of battery.
3.  Some comments do not distinguish between lithium and lithium ion batteries for recharging.  There is a difference.  
4.  I pulled out my Nitecore Intelli charger i2,.  Lo and behold, the 2014 version tells you exactly which batteries can be charged.  Perfect!  This is why I am separating out the manuals and notes.
Ok.  I set up each emergency radio with a manual in a zip lock bag and then into a clear plastic box.  A separate manual was inserted into the emergency radio file.  Lithium battery packs were also put with them.

Next, I tackled another box of chargers.  They include two unopened units of Emerson AKALINE rechargers and a Brunton Solarsport 2.2 (discontinued of course).  If the boxes were unopened I did not want to open just to copy a manual.  I found some other ancient solar chargers as well.  They are being put into a clear plastic container (actually two containers).

Whenever I find manuals and download, I try to reformat in 18 pica font for easier reading, a copy or two of the manual goes with the unit, a separate printed copy goes in the file and cabinet and a downloaded copy goes into the Manuals archive.  The unfortunate reality is that companies do not keep copies of manuals on line.