Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ouline XML T6 Flashlight
This light comes in a black plastic box with a picture of a guy with an AR15 on it cause it's "tactical."  The box is kinda cheap plastic  and the clasps won't hold when the box is dropped. Never the less, the box could be used as a small FA kit or small tool kit I suppose. It is by no mean water proof or even water resistant.

The package also includes caribiner for no apparent reason. There is a wrist strap on the box and the light which the caribiner could be hooked to but why would you?  I have to admit seeing the box and caribiner was an extra incentive to buy, as getting extra stuff is always good.

As for the light it is plenty bright enough. Not sure if it is 1000 lumans however. I didn't have any 18650 batteries handy which presumably would increase it's brightness. The wrist strap is too small to fit over my hand.

As spec'd it has 5 modes. High, medium and low and two flashing modes, fast and one that flashes SOS. It also has a zoomable lens from very wide to a small square when zoomed all the way out.  I've found the high and low modes to be useful on other flashlights in that you can turn the intensity up when outdoors and down when indoors.  I've never found a use for the strobe function however.

I have a 100 yard wide drainage ditch behind my house. I took the light out to the ditch at night with three AAAs and shined it across to the other side. It lit up the other side pretty good as well as up and down the ditch. It definitely bright. Would be excellent for tracking wounded game in the fall during bow season.

This light is well worth the less than $6 I paid for it. It won't replace my EDC light but would be useful around the house or in a Get Home or Bug Out bag.

Source: https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Portable...deals19-20

The white thing is the sleeve for the 18860 battery
[Image: s3g4WpR.jpg]
Shown with my EDC light... A Sipic 68k
[Image: CEGoDXv.jpg]

It's taciti-cool

[Image: 7iXhLeo.jpg]

Specs...
1x Cree Xm-l t6 Led Flashlight
1x AAA Battery Holder For Using AAA Battery
1x Plastic Tube For Using 18650 Battery
Battery (Not Included)
1x Aluminum Carabiner Screw Lock D-ring Hook for Outdoor Sports
Product Specification:
Name: Brand New r5/t6 Led Flashlight
Led Bulb: Cree Xml-t6
Max Brightness: 1000 Lumens
Max Lighting Distance: >500m
Led Lifespan: >100000 Hours
Ip Grade: Ipx-6
Wattage:10 Watts
Special Features: Zoomable (Max Length : 6.22in Min Length: 5.35in)
Focal Length:Adjustable
5 Modes: Hight/Middle/Low/Fast Strobe/Sos
Body Material: Aluminum Alloy
Wattage:10 Watts
Dimension: 5.39 x 1.38 x 1.02inch
Net Weight(Battery Not Included): 150g (5.29 Ounces)
Switch Type: Tail Cap Switch
Cap Switch Color: Black
Body Color: Black
Power Source: 1 x 3.7v 18650 Battery (Not Included) Or 3x AAA Battery (Not Included)
Thumbs Up 
Nice review.

It will be brighter with an 18650 battery, noticeably more bright.  But that's the nice thing about this and similar lights, options!  Stoke it with an 18650 for max performance and have 3xAAA as back up and you're all set.  Should last quite a while as well.  I have several similar that have been going strong for years. For $6 it's a steal.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I like your link to Amazon.com. I always look at the negative reviews on flashlights first. I do that for virtually any product that I buy on line, through Amazon.com or anyone else.

I hope that it works out for you.

For those who did not know - over the last few years, the concept of placing an insert inside a flashlight with cheaper or smaller batteries in place of a larger or more expensive battery has been perfected. What this literature says is that you can buy the 18650 battery which gives the maximum performance or use a plastic insert with the more plentiful and cheaper AAA batteries. It is nice that the package includes the insert - meaning perhaps someone in RC checked that it would work.

Just a thought. I get a zip-lock type baggie. If I buy a spare or backup 18650 light, I put it in the bag. I fit an 18650 battery into the light to determine if it works. There are multiple types of 18650 batteries with different levels of power/protection. The basic problem is that the two basic types are button and flat. Sometimes one will not work in the light. You also need to check the power level needed for the flashlight and it will be in the light's manufacturer's manual. Don't buy a higher power battery or you waste money. You need to charge the battery before you put it in the bag. Most of the batteries advertise a long life retention, but don't tell you that the batteries are sent from the factory without being fully charged. Your call, of course. Now you have the empty light and a battery in a decent clear plastic container that repels water. I assume that you already know why you don't store a flashlight with the battery INSIDE!
Thumbs Down 
I purchased one just now from Mac's link.  For the price it's hard to pass up.  

These are not necessarily 'got to war' flashlights, however, they aren't junk either despite the low price tag.  XML T6 LED's are what could be considered 'old tech' LED's.  Meaning that they were top of the shelf a few years ago but have been passed up by newer LED designs.  However, that should be confused with obsolete by any stretch.  The XML T6 was a standard for a long time and they have a good rep for performance and durability.  The real question is the driver on this flashlight rather than the LED itself.  The LED would be like a hard working F150 from 5 years ago vs. a brand new F150 with a sports package.  In truth, that 5 year old F150 will still do the job and then some even though it's 'old'.  So in essence, the XML T6 LED is perfectly fine and will likely last somewhere between 50K to 100K hours.  The flashlight itself is likely to fall apart long before the LED burns out.

Probably an 'old tech' driver as well, which is the circuit board behind the LED that runs the functions.  However, once again, even though it may not have all the whistles and bells is perfectly usable for just about any scenario you can think of.  So for less than $6 this light will likely give you years of service.  I have similar 18650 lights right now that I purchased years ago that are still doing exactly what they did out of the box i.e. lighting up an area many times more than any non-LED flashlight could ever hope to do. 

Question for Mac:  does this light have a memory.  In other words, if you put it on high and leave it on high for a few seconds, when you turn it off and then back on, does it remain on high?  A lot of budget lights don't and simply go to the next mode in the series.  It isn't a deal breaker just a little inconvenient in that you have to set the flashlight up so it comes on in the mode you most likely will use the next time.

"Question for Mac: does this light have a memory. In other words, if you put it on high and leave it on high for a few seconds, when you turn it off and then back on, does it remain on high? A lot of budget lights don't and simply go to the next mode in the series. It isn't a deal breaker just a little inconvenient in that you have to set the flashlight up so it comes on in the mode you most likely will use the next time."

It defaults to high when you turn it off. In other words, whatever setting it is on when you turn it off, it will be on high when you turn it back on.
(05-27-2019, 05:46 PM)mac66 Wrote: It defaults to high when you turn it off. In other words, whatever setting it is on when you turn it off, it will be on high when you turn it back on.

Thank you.  I can live with that.  Like I mentioned, non-memory isn't a deal-breaker (depending on the use).  Looking forward to getting it. Smile

Already shipped! Wink

Was waiting for me last night when I got home.  I had charged up an 18650 the day before in preparation of getting this light.  Popped it in and yeah, it's bright with a huge circular spill.  Every thing seemed nice and tight on it with the zoom-to-flood.  For less than $6 it's a steal.  Good light for the glove compartment or by the bed.  Thanks Mac for linking it in the deal thread.  Very nice having the spacer tube and the AAA holder for the price as well.  As mentioned above, lots of options.  

Mac, if you pick up an 18650 battery you'll see a big increase in brightness as well.  

Tempted to pick up another one just to have as a spare.

Edited to add:  I went ahead and ordered a second one.  For the price it's simply a great deal.  Smile

Okay, you talked me into ordering another. LOL
(05-29-2019, 11:59 AM)mac66 Wrote: Okay,  you talked me into ordering another. LOL

Flashlights are like crack  Big Grin