Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bottled water?
My limited preps are geared towards hunkering down during a natural disaster or civil unrest. Either to ride it out or hide from the initial violence. I figure my best bet is to lay low with my ammo food and water. 

My current water setup is pretty simple. I keep a rotating stack of 4-5 cases of bottled water. Each case is 40 16.9oz bottles so just at 5 gallons. If I'm laying low I think 4 bottles a day would do and 2 a day would suffice If I had to stretch it out. 

I think if I decided to bail from my home the bottles would be a good way to transport it as well. 

What do you guys think about this? Any better methods or additional things I should look into?
I'm not a big fan of bottled water as I've seen reports on them that the water isn't all that good.  Take that with a grain of salt though as I can't say that goes for all brands.  Do we buy bottled water?  Yes, but I personally don't use them.  But then I'm a wanna-be health nut Smile 

Another reason is that 'they' say that when they get hot they leach from the plastic into the water. 

HOWEVER...

You can use the SODIS method with a plastic (or glass) bottle.  SODIS is using the sun's UV light to destroy the waterborne pathogens.  You need to filter out as much sediment and turbidity as possible first, then place the bottle in the full sun light for 6 hours (or more if the water is cloudy).  The UV will kill the pathogens.  Now yes, you may very well get leaching doing this in a plastic bottle but at that point you're likely in an emergency situation and the need to stay hydrated outweighs any long term effects.

I have two different filters for the house that can be used in a 'grid down' scenario.  The first is the Sawyer PointONE All in One Filter:

Sawyer PointONE™ All in One Filter

This filters up to one million gallons and comes highly rated.  It will NOT filter chemicals but it will get out the other crap that will make you sick;

Quote:The PointONE filter removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium

And it can be continually cleaned by being back washed.  Comes with everything you need except the 5 gallon buckets.

The second is the Berkey Filter:

Berkey Water Filter

[url=http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-water-filters/systems/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1_Brand_Filter&utm_term=berkey%20water%20filter][/url]I purchased the Travel Berkey off Amazon for $259 (I think it's gone up maybe $20).  Came with a Sport Berkey water bottle as well. 

If you use two black filters it will filter up to 6,000 gallons of water.  I figure for a family of 3 that's about 6 years give or take.  From most everyone I've talked to it is the best on the market and WILL filter out chemicals. 

The amount of water you'll need will vary depending on how hot it is and your activity level.  But even in cold weather you're really going to have to watch your hydration.  For us in west central Florida I'd say at least a gallon a day in the summer and likely quite a bit more. 

And I'd suggest some type of electrolyte replacement as well with the water supply such as fresh lemon squeezed into the water or something like Gatorade.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I have a reasonable stock of bottled water, currently about 600 2lt bottles, current shortest best before date is May 2017 cost 17p/27cents per bottle = £102/$159.15 total cost, this has been spread over the pay 15 months by adding extra to the weekly shop. I do plan to treat any more than a year old before use.

I worked out that i wanted a secondary backup of at least 6lt per person per day for 31 days.
Clean/fill old 2lt bottles for home storage,we have a lot of cases of bottled.Split between both places,a good filter is a god send and worth the $$$.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I have one of those cooler that is fed by a 5 gallon bottle and i currently have 4 bottles so 20 gallon that way. I also have 10 cases of bottled single serve 16 oz. bottled water. but my real back up is my MSR filter and my 5 thousand gallon hot tub.
I've always been a fan of the 2L coke bottle method. But recently, I've discovered it might not be as good of a deal as you think. Let's round down and say that a 2L of Dr Pepper is $1.50 at Walmart. 1 gallon = 3.7 liters, so lets call it 4 to make the math work. So, that means that you need 2 of them, or $3 a gallon. Yes, you're getting 'free' Dr Pepper, but if you walk to the next eisle over at Walmart you'll see Ozarka brand gallons of bottled water for $1.20, or generic brand water for about 75 cents a gallon.

Being someone who's had a 2 L of water rolling around in his car for a couple of years, having a square water container instead of a round one makes a bit more sense to me. Also, no matter how hard you scrub a bottle of Dr. Pepper, you're never going to get 100% of the sugar and stuff out of it. Where as if you start with a bottle of water, you know what's always been in it.

Now, if you're a family of 3-4 people and you drink a lot of bottled soda or juice, you're really getting the container for 'free' anyway.. but if you're trying to stock up from scratch, I'm moving towards just buying the bottles already with water in them , 1 or 2 gallons at a time.
(09-10-2016, 07:09 PM)ric0123 Wrote: I've always been a fan of the 2L coke bottle method. But recently, I've discovered it might not be as good of a deal as you think.   Let's round down and say that a 2L of Dr Pepper is $1.50 at Walmart.      1 gallon = 3.7 liters, so lets call it 4 to make the math work. So, that means that you need 2 of them, or  $3 a gallon. Yes, you're getting 'free' Dr Pepper, but if you walk to the next eisle over at Walmart you'll see Ozarka brand gallons of bottled water for $1.20, or generic brand water for about 75 cents a gallon.

Being someone who's had a 2 L of water rolling around in his car for a couple of years, having a square water container instead of a round one makes a bit more sense to me.  Also, no matter how hard you scrub a bottle of Dr. Pepper, you're never going to get 100% of the sugar and stuff out of it. Where as if you start with a bottle of water, you know what's always been in it.

Now, if you're a family of 3-4 people and you drink a lot of bottled soda or juice, you're really getting the container for 'free' anyway.. but if you're trying to stock up from scratch, I'm moving towards just buying the bottles already with water in them , 1 or 2 gallons at a time.

I get the feeling that what 08 may be sayin is that if you have folks that drink soda anyway, just wash out and fill up the 2L bottles as they go instead of trashing them. As long as the water is clean to begin with you can boil it on a fire if you have to do that. If you live near a water source you'll need containers, and you will probably want all you can get. 

Gathering containers and storage containers. The two will need to be seperated to minimize the chance of cross contamination. 

Only thing that concerns the old Lizzard is: how do 2L bottles handle water that has been chemically sterilized over time if that is necessary?

I drink at least a 2L bottle of h20 on hot days on top of whatever else. God help me, but I'm not the most active thing. Been down with my back 8 years. 

Still...these kinda questions need addressing even for me. A good case of Giardiasis or cryptosporidium could punch my ticket quick!!
"As a matter of Survival, ALL. CREATURES ARE FAIR GAME!"

Les Stroud Big Grin

Special snowflakes will be melted and consumed...I need to stay hydrated!

Big Grin
Remember soda bottles are injection molded,most "milk" jug types aren't.They are seamed together and will leak.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Just in case, you can pick up 2L soda cases which 1) allow easy transport if needed 2 ) stacking. Most can get 2l bottles on the cheap just by use and saving... only takes a few cases to have enough to take if needed ( as your not going to travel with the 55 gal drum in the basement Smile )
If you are going to use water bottles as a prep, it makes sense to have a filter that screws right on to the top.  That way you have a container and a filter all in one.  As a bonus it comes with squeeze bottles and a syringe for keeping the filter clean.  That way you can actually fill up multiple bottles in case there is more than one person involved in the situation.

Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question So how much water DO you need? David 10 1,292 01-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Last Post: David
  Bulk Water storage part 42387514 ric0123 17 1,799 09-24-2017, 10:04 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  Water distillation David 9 2,372 09-23-2017, 12:57 AM
Question Survival water bottle poll David 19 3,235 07-20-2017, 03:35 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Rain Water Collection Thread JRSC 23 6,809 06-08-2017, 03:06 PM
  Water Filter tests.. ric0123 2 466 06-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  Home Brew water filters ric0123 2 598 06-01-2017, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Kieller
  Water Purification Reference JRSC 5 1,795 01-11-2017, 02:35 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Cool water approach Bob 3 944 01-09-2017, 02:51 PM
  Emergency DIY Water Distillation for Survival Bug-Out Bag David 0 485 11-08-2016, 01:26 AM