Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you guys store water?
Water is one of the most important resources you can have for SHTF. I’ve been trying to find a good way to store water without getting that bad taste that bleach and chlorine often leave. I looked at the method shown below,

https://youtu.be/pcE5x3X6TQ4

But when I went looking for what he was talking about all I found was some sort of daily supplement BS. My question is: what methods do you guys use and recommend to store water long term without getting that weird taste? Does such a method exist? If you have found such a method, how long has your water been in storage under what conditions and is it still drinkable? This is probably my first step into prepping for the long-term.
I have 55 gallon rain barrels as well as an almost endless supply of rivers, lakes and ponds in my immediate area.  I have several large ponds literally across the street and down the road from me, not to mention all the folks in my area with pools.  So for my A.O. long term storage really isn't an issue.  However, filtration is more of a concern.  I have both the Sawyer in-line system as well as the Berkey system.  Either will get rid of unpleasant taste and make the water not only potable but taste good.  Indeed, the Berkey will make it like rain water.  

If you have access to any bodies of water locally, concentrate on one or both of these systems.  

A distiller is also a good idea and my wife assures me ours is in the garage somewhere.  Makes the water pure but you will need to supplement with minerals which can be easily added to the water in drops if desired.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
We have about 2 dozen 2 liter bottles that we keep for non-drinking (flushing toilet, etc.) and we have 4-5 gallon water storage containers with drinking water. Plus, we keep a few cases of bottled water on hand that we use.

We have lots available water sources, from creeks to ponds/lakes and we are less than 10 miles from the might Mississippi, so water shouldn't be an issue. We also have rain catch barrels that we can put out if the need arises. If things are to rough in town, we can go to the family farm that 30 minutes away, with two wells and a spring on the prompter and it is about 2 miles from the Mississippi.
My question is: what methods do you guys use and recommend to store water long term without getting that weird taste?
1. I have 55 gallon drums, 30 gallon and 5 gallon paint cans from Home Depot with the number 2 on the bottom (meaning food grade) with twist off tops.
2. Understanding the difference between filtering and sterilizing water, I have multiple two liter/2 container solar sterilization units (pop bottles) which do both filtering and sterilizing (the UN version only sterilizes).
3. I never intend to use stored water without refilitering/sterilizing - obviating dumping it out from time to time or worrying about put chemicals in it.

Does such a method exist? If you have found such a method, how long has your water been in storage under what conditions and is it still drinkable?
1. my water has been stored for years and is drinkable because it will be treated a second time before usage.
(05-21-2019, 01:13 AM)bdcochran Wrote: My question is: what methods do you guys use and recommend to store water long term without getting that weird taste?
1.  I have 55 gallon drums, 30 gallon and 5 gallon paint cans from Home Depot with the number 2 on the bottom (meaning food grade) with twist off tops.
2.  Understanding the difference between filtering and sterilizing water, I have multiple two liter/2 container solar sterilization units (pop bottles) which do both filtering and sterilizing (the UN version only sterilizes).
3.  I never intend to use stored water without refilitering/sterilizing - obviating dumping it out from time to time or worrying about put chemicals in it.

Does such a method exist? If you have found such a method, how long has your water been in storage under what conditions and is it still drinkable?
1.  my water has been stored for years and is drinkable because it will be treated a second time before usageT
The number 2 on the bottom does NOT mean that it is food grade.  ONLY when mold stamped as FDA APPROVED is it SAFE. The number 2 only describes the recycle code of the materials used in it's manufacturing. Don't gamble your health on a PAINT CAN FROM A BIG BOX STORE. Try using gallon jugs holding a food product, like Arizona Tea. Milk jugs are not good, as they break down and leak.  Check your local Craig's list for 5 and 6 gallon, 15, 30, 55 gallon barrels, even 135, 275 gallon IBC totes. Make sure that they are one time used for a food product. They will be mold stamped FDA approved.
(05-21-2019, 01:13 AM)bdcochran Wrote: Does such a method exist? If you have found such a method, how long has your water been in storage under what conditions and is it still drinkable?

I have a 55gal water barrel and that get drained once a yr / refilled...... some 5 gallon water jugs and a bunch of filled 2 liter seltzer ( not soda ) bottles filled.
( along with always about 5-6 cases of seltzer on hand depending ) I use the regular bleach method.

The large barrel is going to be a primary source abut as mentioned, it will be run thru a filter at usage time. The slight taste of chlorine is removed ( at least to me ) after filtered.
Other containers, I don't worry about the slight taste as much will be use for non-drinking use.

But, if truly needed , I'm not going to worry to much about drinking the pool water either Smile
(05-21-2019, 12:47 PM)Tom Mac Wrote: But, if truly needed , I'm not going to worry to much about drinking the pool water either   Smile

1.  you can use one pound of the proper (look it up) pool shock, costing $7 for one pound, to treat 17,000 gallons of water.  (FEMA has information.  I have a few pounds stored properly with a scale, small containers for usage in an emergency).
2. if you use the two two liter solar still with the pool water, you get rid of the undesired salts and chlorine as well.
Yes, I have a 1lb lab quality bottle of calcium hypochlorite... it's better than 99% pure.
But also have bleach around all the time and use that as I find it easy.

Will check out the solar still.
Good. The unscented bleach starts to lose its power after 3 months. Years ago, I was unaware. When I did become aware, I stopped storing it.

Solar still. I spent some money before finding the two two liter deal. Water vaporizes with heat. So, this is how it operates. Urine/pool water/sea water/ whatever goes into a two liter bottle. That bottle goes on the bottom. There is going to be an empty bottle upside down on top. You can figure out how to prop up a couple of two liter pop bottles. Two pop bottle caps are drilled. A plastic tube is inserted through the two caps. It protrudes a short distance down into the bottle with the muck in it and sits above the liquid. The plastic tube goes through the pop cap of the inverted bottle and almost to the top (it is really the big bottom of the inverted bottle.

As the muck heats up in the sunlight, the water evaporates and goes up the plastic tube and turns into water and is held in the inverted bottle.

You unscrew the bottom cap first. Remember it is clean because it never touched the gunk in the lower bottle. You then invert the upper bottle, unscrew the cap with the tubing. Put on a replacement regular undrilled cap and you have upwards of two liters of distilled water.

The UN method has you put the gunk into a two liter bottle which is spray painted black on one side. It will sterilize the contents. However, salt/metals/gunk will still be in the bottle and you can not filter all of it out using a coffee filter.
Regular old tap water, purified or straight out of the faucet, will store indefinitely in a sealed container. My water storage approach:

#1 I keep cases of bottled water that we cycle through slowly. usually about 5-10 of them. That's 72 hours easy.

#2 I keep a number of 2L clear soda bottles that I freeze and keep in the freezer. I just rinse with soap and hot water thoroughly, let dry, and then fill and freeze. No bleach or anything. IT ISN'T NECESSARY!!!

#3. I have a pool with 17000 Gallons of water. Between the ability to purify with tablets, or boil, I'm good indefinitely. As for "But the pool chemicals!!!!" Police - Pffft. The pool mainly has - get this Chlorine! Which is bleach. Which will evade very quickly if you don't replace it. After 3-5 days, plus boil/sunlight....bah - if you are thirsty, drink it. You'll be fine. A drop or two of liquid bleach, which I keep on hand and use for laundry is always good. You can can make bleach from water and - that's right - pool shock.

I keep a number of water flavor drop things on hand also. I need a Berkee.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Water Well pump kit for sale. Awesome! ric0123 1 1,157 07-28-2018, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Tsquare
Question So how much water DO you need? David 11 4,671 02-16-2018, 10:42 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  Bulk Water storage part 42387514 ric0123 17 6,562 09-24-2017, 10:04 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  Water distillation David 9 4,880 09-23-2017, 12:57 AM
Last Post: David
Question Survival water bottle poll David 19 8,432 07-20-2017, 03:35 PM
Last Post: bmyers