Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilderness grey man.
What does your grey man setup for the wilderness look like? I see a lot of videos on the urban grey man. (Probably more relevant) but I have not come across any for the wilderness setup. If you don’t know what the grey man is,

https://youtu.be/H3Wz7fC7tOY

What kind of gear would you carry? Would you attempt to conceal your weapons or would the sight of an unarmed man in the wilderness make you even more of a target? What are some other considerations?
Let's reflect upon where the grey man city overlaps first:

1. you want to look like you belong. This assumes that you lack fundamental skills and an understanding that you are in the wilderness and would not be seen if you reflected on how to accomplish movement from point a to point b without being observed or how to remain in place without being detected.
2. you don't want to look military.

Next, let's reflect on where the grey man city does not overlap, second:
1. People will assume that you are carrying a weapon, at least a knife.
2. a native, non city dweller, is already familiar with the area and who normally is in the area. He will be more observant than a city folk.
3. if you are in the wilderness, count on layering clothes. Count on having gloves or mittens and a hat with you.

Now, I will turn the questions around. I was in the Golden Triangle, SW Asia, many years ago. I had to go from point a to point b to point c over a period of time. I had to choose between sneakers and boots. I had to choose between carrying one blanket or two. I would be going up and downhill through the mud (and to the sounds of distant gunfire), going between boiling in mid day and nearly freezing at night. At the same time, I had to appear to be non threatening to the locals. What would you have chosen and why? Here are hints. I did not wear a buzz haircut and go around clean shaven. I had a full beard and long hair - strange, but not as threatening as a buzz haircut and being cleanshaven. I chose the sneakers because they were non threatening and I could move faster and longer than wearing boots. I chose one blanket because a local would have chosen only one blanket. Being armed was de rigueur
Normally when I'm out in the woods, such as an SEP gathering, I'm wearing a bright orange T-shirt or jacket for max visibility.  During such times I'm looking to be visible and not stealthy.  I going grey man I'd simply try to wear subdued clothing.  Perhaps not to blend in as I have very little camo stuff, but rather just trying not to stick out like I do in orange.  

The situation would dictate whether or not I'm openly carrying or not.  If a serious SHTF situation and I'm on foot trying to get home (as in I am unable to use my vehicle for some reason) I would be carrying my 12g shotgun (which is my trunk gun) in a shotgun scabbard.  The stock sticks out slightly from the top so it's not to easy to mistake as something other than a 12g sticking out of a scabbard.  But I'm not likely to leave that resource sitting in the vehicle.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
The key to "grey man" is to dress like everyone else in the specific environment you are in. When I was in Alaska hiking I looked pretty much like other hikers; boots, zip off cargo pants, jacket/flannel shirt, hat. I carried a 44 Redhawk in a chest rig holster under my jacket. Same thing in Peru, Hawaii and the Appalachian Trail except for the gun. I try not to look like a tourist unless I want to.
You will look much less "grey man" in the woods - indigenous people in the woods are rare. Those that are around know what /who is not usually there.

Military gear in the woods is pretty common. It was made for the woods including camo pants etc...

Anyone NOT in a pre-ordained camping spot or with more than minimal gear immediately look like "out of owners"

If I'm in the woods I'm talking what I need and I'm not worried about what you think of me or my appearance.
Depends on why you are in the woods? Around here most farmers will be in the woods dressed in blue jeans and t-shirt. Some where the bib overalls, just depends. If you are in the woods hunting, you will see the people decked out in camo. Neither are unusual in the woods around here, just different purposes.
I dress like a crazy vet,folk look past me.When with the .5 it's different,we seldom go out.She has a social life,I really don't have/want 1.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Grey Man. kirgi08 12 5,279 09-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Tom Mac