Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EMP's and prepardness?
Do you even have the basics? Do you have a medicine store for three months and a medical kit? Can you protect yourself and family and do you even have an alternative water source?

https://youtu.be/y0e8H0EMoNA

EMP is real. Effective execution takes high-yield (>10 MT) nuclear devices, and accurate space delivery systems, which are also real. Fortunately, this requires a capability which eliminates a lot of players.

As far as proliferation, it is an unfortunate reality. It is beyond the control of common people like us. The sad reality is, if the other side has it, there is a real possibility of it being used, and we cannot effectively control what the other side has. Therefore, we need to protect against it, and instill in the other side the absolute knowledge that we will survive, and that retaliation, in whatever form, will be swift, sure, and much more devastating than what they did to us.

That's how you keep the predators off your back. The crazies could go either way.

GMD is also very real and can potentially cause even greater damage. Fortunately, a lot of the hardening for GMD is applicable to EMP.
We have multiple sources of medical preps. From conventional to alternative. Also multiple sources and ways to both disinfect and purify water.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Do we have preps just for an EMP? No. I have read the old research that was done on EMPs and looked for updated studies, but nothing has been done. The 1950s studies showed items being fired by an EMP pulse. Yet, you have a lot of speculation on what will happen today. On one hand, some believe it will be worst because of our electronic driven life (One Second After). Others believe that it won't be that bad (like in the One Second After), but have limited damage due to the improvements in our electronics and the need for them to be harden from interference because of us having so many electronic devices that create interference. The only thing they both seem to agree on is that the electric distribution system would be the heaviest affected and could be out for weeks, months, or longs.

Either way, it isn't high on my list. Yes, we have medical preps and that is actually how I got started into preparedness being a paramedic. We probably have more medical preps than we could use. As far as water, we have multiple ways of purifying water. I believe I posted on here that I had taken the time to locate multiple water sources in our area. We have multiple ponds/lakes in the area, streams, wells, I know where three springs are located, and we have the mighty Mississippi River all within a day walk there and back. Plus, we have the ability to capture rain water if needed.

On a footnote, our water plant is designed to function through an EMP attack. We did a complete review of it in 1999 and found that most of the equipment was old enough it couldn't be affected by the Y2K bug. Funding started and a major upgrade was done to the plant including hardening the plant from tornadoes, earthquakes, and power failures which included shielding key components. The plant can function on its own without power to supply water to the communities. The challenge is the sewer plant, which isn't in the same shape.
Meds yes ( at least 3 months rotated ), food & water yes, protection yes... all with out going crazy.
SO-So emp cage , if you consider a grounded metal garbage can with backup electronics ( older laptops ,radios ,etc )
EMP info goes both ways.

I can cover the famly for a while.... thinking 6 months... as mentioned in past, big issues will be when it gets cold and / or the crazies come out.
In the real shtf, how long can most hold out is a tough question , esp living within 100miles of the city.
Do you even have the basics?
Yes.

Do you have a medicine store for three months
Yes. No one on any medications though.

and a medical kit?
Yes. In depth.

Can you protect yourself and family
No. Have no family. Cannot stay awake 24/7 protecting myself. My neighbors fight with each other and the highest skill level among them is operating a cell phone to text. This called being realistic despite having a skills level that is exceptionally high.

and do you even have an alternative water source?
I have water stored and many methods prepared to filter and/or purify water. The nearest open water source is about 2 miles away and consists of a concrete lined storm drain which collects all of the runoff from yards and trash stuffed down street openings. I would say that after about three weeks, I would be in real danger.
(03-31-2019, 03:20 PM)bdcochran Wrote: Can you protect yourself and family
No.  Have no family.  Cannot stay awake 24/7 protecting myself.  My neighbors fight with each other and the highest skill level among them is operating a cell phone to text.  This called being realistic despite having a skills level that is exceptionally high.

That is a realistic assessment and one to consider.  I'm in somewhat the same boat.  I do have a family but their skill level is nowhere near mine realistically.  Not for lack of interest but training time is limited for some while medical issues are the issue for others.  My son is almost 20 however and is familiar with various firearms which is a huge asset for HD.  I have some nephews that are 'gun guys' and one is a prepper as well but 25 miles separates us which is an issue to consider.

Do I have even the basics? Absolutely.

Do I care about EMP's - not at all. Key points to remember:
1. Only Russia/China have that kind of nuclear Mojo. China/Russia Attack = TEOTWAWKI for them and and us, so non-issue. All plans ruined. Bugging in likely not happening.
2. EMP that is close means you have wayyyy bigger problems than EMP.
3. Small EMP is a non-issue or temporary situation.

We can go on, but I quote Yoda "Once you start down the EMP path, forever will it dominate you..."
[Image: 61400196.jpg]
A lot of the fiction books with EMP end of the world, it nonsense. Cars will not be knocked out in an EMP (they test that just a while back and showed that 99% of the cars suffered no effect). Perhaps the electrical grid would be hurt, but I don't it would be as bad as some speculate.