Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Lies on YT Gun Channels
(03-08-2019, 12:20 AM)mac66 Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 11:36 PM)Bob Wrote: Dogmatic was a good choice of words Dave.  HIS needs/choices/situation may not be everyones (in fact, are certainly not)

Ronin - all great points, but I'll still disagree w/ #3 and here is an example of the reason.  Based on the weapon and your amount of skill/training, it may be safer for yourself and other to not carry with one in the chamber.

You can argue that in that situation that you shouldn't carry, or that you need more training.  While that may be true, there are all of the 'middle situations where having a weapon is a benefit, even if one loses a second or two racking, or is not up to "Israeli" standards....

Again - Dogma....

If you are unsafe with a loaded gun, you shouldn't be carrying one.

So if you are not going to carry with a round in the chamber - you should not have a firearm?

Because that would be better? To be completely unarmed all the time?
(03-08-2019, 09:55 PM)Bob Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 12:20 AM)mac66 Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 11:36 PM)Bob Wrote: Dogmatic was a good choice of words Dave.  HIS needs/choices/situation may not be everyones (in fact, are certainly not)

Ronin - all great points, but I'll still disagree w/ #3 and here is an example of the reason.  Based on the weapon and your amount of skill/training, it may be safer for yourself and other to not carry with one in the chamber.

You can argue that in that situation that you shouldn't carry, or that you need more training.  While that may be true, there are all of the 'middle situations where having a weapon is a benefit, even if one loses a second or two racking, or is not up to "Israeli" standards....

Again - Dogma....

If you are unsafe with a loaded gun, you shouldn't be carrying one.

So if you are not going to carry with a round in the chamber - you should not have a firearm?

Because that would be better?  To be completely unarmed all the time?

No, I'm saying that if you are unsafe with a loaded gun, you shouldn't carry one.
A loaded gun being one with a round in the chamber...

So now I'm confused. What if I carry a gun without a round in the chamber? Am I unsafe, or shouldn't I carry one?
I think Mac is saying if the person is unsafe (as in they don't follow safe gun handling practices) you shouldn't have a gun. Carrying with an empty chamber is not in-and-of-itself an unsafe practice. In fact, it is very much on the safe side because you can't have an AD/ND with an empty chamber. Only issue arises if the person isn't properly trained on how to chamber a round under stress/one-handed etc.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
ok...
And that brings up another topic of consideration.  Israeli-carry by it's very nature and methodology of training covers one-hand manipulations extensively in addition to the normal draw/rack/fire mantra.  So they cover one-handed loading/reloading, malfunction clearing and drawing/racking (off belt or whatever)/firing.  That is why you can be engaged in H2H with an attacker and still utilize the weapon.  Also, if one limb is injured or otherwise occupied you can still utilize the weapon.  

Not all 'western' training covers these things in as in-depth a manner.  Or they teach things which I feel is or can be a detriment.  For example, one commonly taught method of one-handed reloading is dropping the mag, insert pistol backwards into holster, insert fresh mag, drop slide and proceed.  That's fine unless you don't have a holster or the holster is inadequate for that task or the holster is broken or your physically in a position where you can't access the holster.  I prefer to not have to depend on a piece of equipment/gear unless absolutely necessary.  Israeli carry teaches to you to use various parts of the body to complete a reload.  Usable regardless of what position you may happen to be in at the time.  

My point isn't that Israeli-carry methodology is superior to any other type of training methodology.  My point is, regardless of training methodology, a person that is serious about self-defense with a firearm should be proficient  with one-handed manipulations whether it's a reload, malfunction clearance or H2H.  In as much as is physically possible for the individual.  Not suggesting everyone needs to be Rambo-Ninja, rather that they have at least some understanding and as much technical proficiency as possible dependent upon their abilities.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Here I am in my training outfit for mall ninja

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfJfLBMrUr6xvURyKw7rQ..._k6U9ZNYMw]
"The person that will prevail in an armed conflict is the One That can adapt their skills to the situation they face." -DaveSpaulding

I think the guy's video in the OP is for newbie shooters. Those of us with experience already know what you should do and to keep that skill you must train.

I train not to just shoot but to fight with a firearm.

There are things about a firearm regarding sights. Sight acquisition and alignment. I do not think you need sights to put down a threat at two arm distance and I may choose to attack a threat with my hands and allow time for the draw and shots. I do not need sights to make hits on a close up target but will use sights if I have time?

I am shooting the perp in the head/face close up seeing the front sight and that is my primary focus whether I am close or far.

I have been in one or two or three gunfights and each time I used a Rifle and took the time in one fight to use the sights from cover. In one fight I only had time to see that big AR post to point as well as I could.

https://youtu.be/FZSdzaJZCUY

https://youtu.be/-TtjK5BkvVk