Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make a butter bow
For purposes of discussion, you want to practice the mechanics of drawing and releasing a bare bow.  A bare bow is a one piece bow.  However, two things stop you.  First, if you use a real bow, you must shoot an arrow or you will quickly damage the bow.  Secondly, if you used a real bow with an arrow, you would either have to go to a range or have a long backyard with a backstop.

You want something that is like a bow.  Ok.  You obtain a 6 foot long piece of 1/2 inch diameter pcv pipe.  That is going to be the bow.  550 cord is going to be the string.  How are you going to attach the 550 cord.  Go to one end of the pipe.  Let's go fancy, ok.  Starting 4 inches from the end, cut the pipe with a slope down to the center of the pipe.  The slope can be three inches.  The last inch to the end has a cut line to the end at the center of the pipe.  Now go back and using a diamond file one inch from the end, file down a sharp groove.  This is where the top of the "string" is going to be looped. 

A regular string ends in a loop at the top.  Similarly, you are making a loop in the 550 cord.

At about one inch from the bottom of the pipe, drill a hole.  The drilled hole is done in placement so the 550 cord will not twist to one side or the other which you eventually put the looped end over the top of the pipe and into the grove.  I simply put the 550 cord through and tie it off.  I am not going to be taking the whole string off the bow. 

You don't need what is called a "stringer" with a real bow to put on the 550 cord.  Just step on the pcv pipe.  It is flexible. 

I used mine today for the first time.  Tomorrow, I will start practicing  with a finger guard. 

So, you can go through the motion -framing, rotating the supporting arm inwards, drawing from the correct position using your frame, finger placement on facial area, release with breathing, etc.

How do you get strength for the draw.  I simply ordered some rubber tubing on eBay, trimmed it to the length I wanted, tied the ends, and I am ready to go.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to make slingshot ammo with a socket ghost 2 625 12-22-2018, 05:24 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  DIY shave butter David 7 1,595 06-24-2018, 05:52 PM
Last Post: David
  How to make a Pana dart ghost 1 588 03-03-2018, 02:16 AM
Last Post: bdcochran
  How to make HDPE blow gun cone darts ghost 0 670 01-15-2018, 03:53 AM
Last Post: ghost
  How to make a blow gun and darts ghost 0 512 01-14-2018, 12:14 AM
Last Post: ghost
Video DIY - How To Make HE Laundry Detergent or Soap David 1 1,707 07-12-2015, 03:13 PM
Last Post: kirgi08