Poll: For HD, what kind of stock/grip do you prefer?
Regular stock (wood or synthetic
Pistol grip
Birds head
Top/side folding
Telescoping style
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shotgun grip/stock for HD
If you use a shotgun for home defense, what kind of stock/grip do you prefer and why?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Our primary HD shotgun is a Mossy 500 with pistol grip and adjusting stock with 18" door breaching barrel. The idea behind the adjusting stock was to allow the girls to make the gun feel comfortable for them. Yet, after the first range trip, the girls won't touch it.

Still have it available, but it most likely would only ever be used by me and the girls would go to one of the PCCs instead.
I tried a pistol grip only on one of my shotguns but didn't like it. I have a pistol grip w/AR type tele stock on my Saiga 12. I also have a birdshead grip on my homemade Shockwave. It works pretty well and is much more comfortable than a pistol grip. It is more of range toy than a HD gun however.

I have conventional stocks on my Mossberg 500 and Rem 870 shotguns. So I voted for the regular stock.
I'm a bit torn between two choices.  I have a Mossy 500 with the AR telescoping type stock and a Remington 870 with the top-folding stock.  In shooting the Rem 870 I was very surprised at how little recoil I felt in the shoulder.  It has a small shoulder pad and I assumed it would be a real bear but for whatever reason it wasn't.  Very pleasant to shoot for a 12g.  

As of right now, the 870 with top-folding stock is the HD SG.  My reasoning is that the barrel is an inch and a half shorter than the barrel on the Mossy so it's a bit more handy in the closer confines of a home.  I have the further option of using just the pistol grip if needed or if time presents itself, unfolding the stock.  The Mossy with the 20 inch barrel makes more sense in the vehicle as a longer range shot may be necessary in that venue.  It's only an inch and a half...but it's an inch and a half longer and that's something.  Both have sidesaddle shell holders and additional shell holders on the stock so capacity isn't an issue either way.

(02-24-2019, 10:36 AM)bmyers Wrote: Our primary HD shotgun is a Mossy 500 with pistol grip and adjusting stock with 18" door breaching barrel. 

Is the breach a full barrel or an attachment?  After reading your post I went looking around and found that S.T.U.S. from 3T Tactical that I posted about in the other thread.  Don't know if it's something I would do or not but it looked interesting enough to post it in a thread.  

I do like the idea of the ability to use a breacher as a sort of stand-off CQC type tool.

This is the Remington 870 with ATI top-folding stock I'm using for HD.  Has an attached Convoy S2+ which provides 500 lumens on a good 18650 battery.  I'll be replacing the red with a black or grey version soon.  The red is one I had on hand.

[Image: 40282292683_3b5db26075_z.jpg]

[Image: 40282292343_3b9d48ed5c_z.jpg]

Nice setup
I was really surprised at how well that butt plate on that stock absorbed recoil. Noticeably less recoil than I was expecting.

Mossberg Persuader with AR style tele/pistol grip

I do not like pistol grip only
I like keeping the stock short

I can believe that ATI top fold disperses recoil from both the design and the material.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shotgun David 57 23,095 08-25-2019, 04:56 PM
Last Post: kirgi08
  Bump Stock Ban Bob 5 574 12-29-2018, 02:03 AM
Last Post: Tsquare
Video Stock trigger vs. upgrade David 3 1,091 01-22-2018, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Tsquare
  Don't overlook the Bolt Action Shotgun. TN.Frank 3 1,604 06-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Bob
Question Mossberg shotgun question David 2 1,708 11-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Last Post: David
  HD shotgun/rifle David 16 6,717 08-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Gene
Question Pistol grip, bird's head grip or stock for HD SG? David 5 2,402 08-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Last Post: David
  Survival Shotgun David 15 8,184 07-27-2016, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Six Sigma Shotgun Comparison Part 1 David 2 1,977 09-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Last Post: kirgi08