Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Folding knives Philosophy of Use Post SHTF.
This will include small fixed blades as well. How do you plan to use your large tactical folders and small edc fixed blades during SHTF? Obviously the larger fixed blades will be the knives seeing the most use during SHTF, but where does that leave your folding knives? What purpose would you use an OTF automatic knife for, such as the microtech combat troodon or the Benchmade infidel?
Hadn't really thought about. Guessing, I will use whatever I have handy at the time that meets my needs. I almost always carry a pocket knife on me and I have used it for cutting open packages, cutting wire, cutting food, cleaning fish (left my fishing knife in the garage that day), and other things. My guess is that my pocket knife would probably see more use once manual labor becomes required more during a SHTF. I can remember my grandpa and great-grandpa's pocket knives being well used, but they kept them sharp.
Thanks for the input.
I would think that SAK and similar, as well as multi-tools, would get a LOT of use.  I used my SAK just yesterday to cut up some cheese and vegetables for lunch while my wife and I were out and about.  Not a SHTF situation of course, but the SAK and similar just continues to show it's usefulness.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Multiple questions.
1. I like to have available the following folders when traveling; a. a leatherman; b. a huntsman sak; and a folder. These are in the car, in the suitcases. A leatherman or an sak and a folder are in the windbreakers and heavier coats.

2. I differentiate between smooth blades and fully or partially serrated blades as follows. I never want to get in a knife fight. The chances of my doing so before a serious domestic violence, etc are minimal. My necessity to cut a cake, cut luncheon meat, a sandwich, cheese is significantly higher. So, I carry a smooth bladed folder daily and have the serrated items available for substitution.

3. I rarely am away from home, much less have the situation of carrying a small fixed blade. The only one I would and have carried is a Fallkniven F1 because when sheathed, it fits in a suit pocket.

4. Based upon life experience, if times turn tough and get gritty, you are going to have torn fingernails, torn toe nails, and get a lot of dirt under nails. Those things can put you out of commission long before you think you will use a knife to build a cabin, skin a deer or fight someone. That is why the huntsman and a leatherman with a scissors is chosen.

5. I cannot imagine going a week after shtf without using a scissors, a tweezers and a toothpick.

6. And, remember the following. If you have a significant other, a wife, a child or a friend with you, you can and will spread gear around.
I will use my knives the same as always: pre-during-post SHTF, doesn't matter.

I have large cutting weapons - 2'+ length
I have large utility tools 6-12" Lever, chop, stab, etc
I have an assortment of folders: Small, light, concealable
I have Swiss Army/Multi tools

A knife is a tool. One of the uses for that tool is as a weapon, depending on the situation. A small folder could easily be a deterrent against an unarmed person. Most important way to win a fight: Don't get in a fight.
If it were a true SHTF situation where services are cut off for an extended period of time, I could see wearing my Gerber LMF II fixed blade on my side in/around the house and neighborhood.  Along with a sidearm.  Likely either my G19X or G22. 

Good blade which I wear when the SEP group gets together for a primitive camping trip.

After shtf, I expect that in the real world, the usage of folder knives will actually sky rocket.

Most people don't fully understand the impact of losing electricity, running water, gasoline for the car, having to be alert to dangers.

I have a mentor. He was a paratrooper. He wanted reprofiled glock knives for his girlfriend and himself after shtf. I commented that his priorities did not conform to reality. His girlfriend did not have the skills to be in a knife fight and she wasn't going to be digging foxholes with a knife. They were not going to be bugging out with 40 pound packs, day after day. The reality would be that they would be sedentary, making things for themselves. For the price and flexibilty, it was cheaper and better for one of them to carry a $15 7 inch Ontario Old Hickory butcher knife in a $13 ka-bar, Mexican made leather knife sheath.

You are going to have little boys and little girls who do not carry pocket knives right now, start carrying them to complete every day tasks after shtf.

Right now, your wife does not walk around with a USMC bayonet strapped to her waist. After shtf, she isn't going to wear it either. She will put a small folder in a pocket.

Put on your thinking cap. After shtf, you aren't going to be an isolate. You are not Rambo. And, if you are past 40 years old, that role is gone forever. You are going to make by having a circle, a team. Do you honestly think that everyone who would be in that circle already have a fixed blade knife, a multi-tool, a Swiss Army knife or a folder?

I don't. For that reason, I buy inexpensive, used, confiscated Swiss Army knives, multi-tools, folders and restore them and give them to family members and friends as gifts (not ties, sweaters, shawls, cash, gift cards, restaurant coupons). I want potential members of the circle to be able to bring this tools to the circle after shtf. If I fly to the east coast and happen to be in my son's car, I want to make sure that there is a folder, a swiss tool, and a leatherman already in his car.
(08-19-2019, 05:03 AM)bdcochran Wrote: You are going to have little boys and little girls who do not carry pocket knives right now, start carrying them to complete every day tasks after shtf.

Not to take the thread off topic, but I can remember the days when boys always had a pocket knife on them, even at school.  I'd like to see those self-reliant days come back.  Not because of shtf but just out of common sense practicality.

About 60 years ago, the Los Angeles School District came out with an announcement that you could not carry knives to school. At the time, most kids carried pocket knives. We even had kids carrying guns (I was on a high school rifle team). Those days are gone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Hurricane Irma - Post Event/Lessons Learned David 26 8,294 09-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: mac66
  Level of preparedness - SHTF/WROL/TEOTWAWTI David 13 7,293 09-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  Can't post pictures ghost 4 3,169 08-14-2015, 04:24 AM
Last Post: kirgi08