Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rifles
Been working on increasing my knowledge on rifles. I have shot rifles most of my life, an average shot with them, but not something I have really gotten into when compared to pistol. Plus, I try to stay up on what options are out there to see if there is anything better that would meet our needs. 

I read the book Protecting Your Homestead: Using a rifle to defend life on your property. Without reading the book, I had adopted several of the key points brought out in the book. The first being finding a rifle(s) that is appropriate for your conditions. As I had stated in the past, our primary rifles are PCC in 9mm. My family and myself shot these well and can hit out to 100 yards, which is the longest range at the shooting club. This bring up another point in the book, which stated your rifle should be able to hit at 100 yards. 

Another item it needs to be able to do, is successfully take down not only two legged threats, but four legged threats. We don't have large four legged threats in this area, so the 9mm will do fine. The 9mm could be used to take down a deer (read several articles/forum post and didn't realize the debate that using the 9mm for hunting created), I think a larger caliber would be more appropriate, which I think the 44 mag lever action will serve that role well. 

After reading the book, I realized that we had adopted the key items in the book. It is nice to know that your general plan follows what others believe/have found to be successful plans. There is one area in the book that I disagree with which is our choice of PCC. The book recommends no less than a 357 or 44 mag. Yet, for our needs the 9mm meets the requirements. Do we have other caliber of rifles? Yes, but the girls don't enjoy shooting them. The wife has shot them all, but is not proficient with them. The girls are both very proficient with the PCCs and can load them and operate them without any issues.

Just curious what books others have read on the topic.
(02-17-2019, 11:25 AM)bmyers Wrote: Been working on increasing my knowledge on rifles. I have shot rifles most of my life, an average shot with them, but not something I have really gotten into when compared to pistol. Plus, I try to stay up on what options are out there to see if there is anything better that would meet our needs. 

I read the book Protecting Your Homestead: Using a rifle to defend life on your property. Without reading the book, I had adopted several of the key points brought out in the book. The first being finding a rifle(s) that is appropriate for your conditions. As I had stated in the past, our primary rifles are PCC in 9mm. My family and myself shot these well and can hit out to 100 yards, which is the longest range at the shooting club. This bring up another point in the book, which stated your rifle should be able to hit at 100 yards. 

Another item it needs to be able to do, is successfully take down not only two legged threats, but four legged threats. We don't have large four legged threats in this area, so the 9mm will do fine. The 9mm could be used to take down a deer (read several articles/forum post and didn't realize the debate that using the 9mm for hunting created), I think a larger caliber would be more appropriate, which I think the 44 mag lever action will serve that role well. 

After reading the book, I realized that we had adopted the key items in the book. It is nice to know that your general plan follows what others believe/have found to be successful plans. There is one area in the book that I disagree with which is our choice of PCC. The book recommends no less than a 357 or 44 mag. Yet, for our needs the 9mm meets the requirements. Do we have other caliber of rifles? Yes, but the girls don't enjoy shooting them. The wife has shot them all, but is not proficient with them. The girls are both very proficient with the PCCs and can load them and operate them without any issues.

Just curious what books others have read on the topic.

I don't think I've read any specific books on the subject, but have looked at other media/resources.  Some observations;

Quote:The book recommends no less than a 357 or 44 mag. Yet, for our needs the 9mm meets the requirements. Do we have other caliber of rifles? Yes, but the girls don't enjoy shooting them. The wife has shot them all, but is not proficient with them. The girls are both very proficient with the PCCs and can load them and operate them without any issues.

When teaching people the martial arts, I tailor the material specifically to the individual.  Why would I waste a students time teaching them something, the for whatever reason, they are unable to do or do well?  I don't like the one-size-fits-all or cookie-cutter approach because it isn't realistic.  One person's minimum might not even be another person's maximum.  While a .357 or .44 mag lever action rifle is a fine gun, it's not a fine gun for everyone.   My wife isn't physically capable of adequately using a lever action rifle, high caliber rifle or shotgun beyond a one-time emergency use that would have an adverse effect on anything else she did afterward.  Thus any of those choices are bad choices.  

Prior to going on vacation, I hooked up one of the Sub 2K PCC's with a laser.  It is now strategically placed as a HD long gun that she is capable of using.  And she enjoys shooting the PCC.  It doesn't hurt or intimidate her.  And if you enjoy something you tend to do it more and better.  So I would rather her be proficient and comfortable with a 9mm PCC that she can actually employ than a more powerful rifle that she'd likely get one shot off haphazardly that would adversely affect her follow up actions.  

An 18 round (or higher) 9mm PCC isn't a BB gun.  It is a capable tool.  

I had a .308 bolt action that I traded off.  It was a great rifle but I really had no need for it in the inventory.  It's over-powered for most any use in Florida.  And SHTF hunting can be accomplished with a .22 rifle, AR15 or 9mm PCC if needed in my A.O. 

We have three PCC 9mm's for the HD and/or vehicle defense and I feel fine with them.  I have AR's available but the PCC is the main go-to.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Many have the idea that bigger is better. Whether they are recommending a 30-06 for deer or a 5.56 AR for home defense. They can't grasp the idea that "enough" power is plenty. You don't always need more. They will talk about how much further the 5.56 is effective and how it can defeat soft body armor, but not think that your living room is only 25' across and body armor is mostly seen on bad guys at the cineplex.
If I could have ANY weapon for home defense, it would hands down be an HK MP5

So, whatever .357 people...although I have a 20" .357 lever too.

Was talking / laughing with a guy in a shop about Florida deer hunters and their 300 Win Mag rifles. Hahahahahaha. Nothing in this state would require more than a .243 for fast/clean/effective dispatch.
Whenever someone wants to get into handgun hunting around here, there's always someone handy to tell them 357 isn't enough for deer. I like to step in and remind them that deer are generally small and 357 mag has killed just about every large animal on this planet
Heck, a 22 lr is significantly better out of a rifle than a pistol. Any adequate caliber pistol round does better out of a rifle. I think the reason the AR in 5.56 is touted so much because it is an efficient and ergonomic weapons system with good power. It was designed for fighting after all. Not to say that other rifles wouldn't work as well. Any rifle is better than a pistol.
(02-20-2019, 11:00 PM)Ronin.45 Wrote: Whenever someone wants to get into handgun hunting around here, there's always someone handy to tell them 357 isn't enough for deer. I like to step in and remind them that deer are generally small and 357 mag has killed just about every large animal on this planet

Hunting game in Africa with a .357 handgun was a thing for quite a while when they came out...

(02-20-2019, 11:17 PM)mac66 Wrote: Heck, a 22 lr is significantly better out of a rifle than a pistol.  Any adequate caliber pistol round does better out of a rifle.  I think the reason the AR in 5.56 is touted so much because it is an efficient and ergonomic weapons system with good power. It was designed for fighting after all.  Not to say that other rifles wouldn't work as well. Any rifle is better than a pistol.

Indeed:  Rifle > Pistol for power any day all day.  

Of course, where the .223 really shines is prairie dogs and ground hogs... Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Optics for Rifles Tsquare 22 11,409 06-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Last Post: mac66
  Cheap rifles in Ohio Ronin.45 1 1,445 02-22-2016, 03:52 AM
Last Post: David