Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHTF gardening books.
A highly important, somewhat over looked skill. I was wondering if you guys could tell me about any good books on the subject. What do you guys recommend?
The Farmers Almanac, the Foxfire series, Mother Earth news, Better Homes and GARDENS. Check with your local Ag agent for your county. Your state Dept. of Ag.  The local farmers market.
Try to find a book based on your state. There is an amazing book called the Texas organic vegetable gardener that combines square foot garden techniques with information specific to the region of the state you are in. I learned a ton about soil I didn't have a clue about
(02-10-2019, 06:46 PM)Rifleman 84 Wrote: A highly important, somewhat over looked skill. I was wondering if you guys could tell me about any good books on the subject. What do you guys recommend?

I'd also recommend videos on the net that show various ways to construct a garden that may be useful.  Hydroponics, for example, could come in handy.  Fish farming would be highly useful as it adds meat to the table and nutrients to the garden from the fish waste.  Things along those lines.

One tip, for example, is romaine lettuce.  Usually easy to grow and doesn't need a lot of soil.  One plant provides a lot of leaves and after it's reached the end of it's growing cycle you leave it to seed the surrounding soil, which it does VERY well.  Before you know it you'll have quite a few more plants than you started with.  Very self-sufficient.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winter Gardening JRSC 15 4,782 04-26-2019, 04:42 AM
Last Post: bdcochran
  Gardening 2018 JRSC 58 16,808 10-22-2018, 11:36 AM
Last Post: David
  Raised bed Gardening ric0123 6 4,509 01-22-2018, 12:20 AM
Last Post: bdcochran