Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strike Plate
Installing one of these today on the front door.

Strike Plate
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Looks like a pretty effective, simple upgrade.
Took about a minute to install.  I figure it's going to allow a long enough amount of time to dial 911, set of home alarm and of course get to a firearm and take a defensive position.  It's all about having time to allow yourself options.

(02-04-2019, 11:24 PM)David Wrote: Took about a minute to install.  I figure it's going to allow a long enough amount of time to dial 911, set of home alarm and of course get to a firearm and take a defensive position.  It's all about having time to allow yourself options.

Replace all hinge screws with 3" screws, use longer strike plate screws than theirs[only about 1 1/2" long] use 2-3" ones, same on the deadbolt plate. Now the bad guy will really have to earn it and you have more time to shoot the SOB before something goes wrong. Like dead phone, perp has help, 911 is busy or response time is to long.
The 3 inch screw trick really works, they don't provide but maybe 1 to 2 inch with the hardware.
I had already replaced the stock screw in the deadbolt with 3-inch screws quite a while back.  So I figure between the reinforced deadbolt and the Strike Plate the front door is pretty secure.  Enough that, as mentioned above, I should have time to respond to a threat.  Dialing 911 gets the cavalry on the way.  Setting off the home alarm alerts my neighbors to the problem.  And again, getting to a firearm for defense.

Ordered a second one for the door that leads into the garage. Should arrive today. Simple enough to install, even with one hand injured.

Arrived and installed easily, even one-handed Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Body Armor/plate carrier mac66 32 16,650 10-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Last Post: David
  DIY integrated rifle sling for a plate carrier jayclimber 1 1,382 10-26-2016, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Ronin.45