Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late night knock on the door!
Exclamation 
So the family and I are watching TV last night and about 11:30 at night the door bell rings.  I step over and look out the peep hole and some guy is standing there.  In my best 'cop' voice I ask him what he needs.  He goes into this long story where he's pretty much suffered every misery known to man and he's a prior felon trying to go straight and he's looking for odd jobs and do we have any work for him and do we have any money we can donate some cash to him.  In my nicest but firmest voice I inform him that I don't have anything for him, particularly at 11:30 at night.  He persists for several minutes and so do I.  This is through the door of course as I'm not about to open it up to some prior felon asking for money at any time of the day or night.  

I look around and my wife and son are standing off to the side, out of sight of the front windows monitoring the situation.  Finally the guy leaves and I watch him through the front windows as he walks off down the street.  

My son's first comment was that he was thinking of getting his gun.  I told him that was a commons sense thing to do.  I didn't have my gun in hand but I had access to one in a drawer about seven feet away.  

Was a good opportunity to discuss this with the family as well as how to respond.  I know that sometimes someone will try to gain entry to your home by claiming an emergency.  Response is to tell them you'll call 911 but they have no need to come into your home.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
It's easier when they make it so obvious. Glad it ended without incident.
I think anyone dumb enough to try that was also dumb enough to be so close for Dave to not need to get a gun - even if the guy had his own...

Many years ago traveling for work I had a knock at the door late night with someone saying that my AC was leaking into their room next door. It was super late (after midnight) and I was not opening the door. I told them go tell the front desk.

I would not have gone 1 minute ion discussion ensued - I'd have gotten 12g as I would be wondering why they were willing to engage in so much conversation. I'd be thinking distraction/home invasion.
My family takes late night knocks very seriously. I have told the wife and the daughter both to never answer the door.

Well, many moons ago, when I was on the fire department, the pager went off, I got up went out and hopped on my bike and rode it to the firehouse and responded on the call. Afterwards, I came home and reached in my bike bag and realized I hadn't grabbed my keys when I left. It is around 2 clock in the morning, no keys, so i start knocking on the door. We had two dogs at the time, one 110lbs rot and 60lbs mutt that both went crazy in the house. I figured any minute the wife would be at the door checking things out.

Nothing, so I knocked some more, dogs kept going crazy, I tried to talk to them through the door, but they were to busy going nuts. Next thing I know, I'm being spotlighted and there are two squad cars pulling into my driveway. They get out and see it is me and bust up laughing. They radio the dispatch and moments later my wife opens the door.

Needless to say I got a little ribbing about locking myself out of the house, but I had to admit that the wife did exactly as I told her over the years.
Wife over the years knows never to answer door at night, but we also have a camera there to see what's up ( had it installed yrs ago when I worked midnights )

But it's not only at night, ...
We have a tempered heavy glass storm door in front.

I can't count the number of time the wife has answered the front door in daytime and some person trying to sell/talk/etc has pulled on the glass storm door trying to open it.
Obv, it is always locked and anyone wanting to say something has to talk thru it.
Always good to have some form of barrier.

glad it all worked out...
I post wife armed at front while I look out the back, then I move from the rear of the house outside and flank my door knocker with a shotgun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Night sites David 18 7,815 10-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Last Post: David
Exclamation Bump in the night... David 3 1,564 05-16-2016, 01:46 PM
Last Post: David