Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Effectiveness of traditional karate
Interesting interpretation of traditional karate used for real world self defense.

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I have not watched the video, however - I believe all "traditional" styles as classically/traditionally taught are a) Extremely effective and b) very comprehensive. If they were not - they didn't last.

Most styles also taught a well rounded plate of techniques: Punch/kicks, joint locks, wrestling, etc. Only in recent eras have we seen the ultra specialization that makes an MMA fighter say "That stuff doesn't really work"

Well, when all you learned was forms and Michelin Man protective gear sport/point Tae Kwon Do....yeah. But when you practice as they were really intended - they all work.
Training Methodology
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Great thread link Dave!

The last point on practical - I was sparring with a guy and he punched me in the back of the skull (Don't ask why the back of my head was pointed at his fist!). The important point was that he a) punched badly' and b) he broke his thumb and c) only managed to alert me to his presence back there...

So that didn't end well for him. Yeah - don't punch hard things with your fist!

That's a very Chinese approach vs Japanese in sword. The Japanese developed better and better steel to overcome better armor etc. The Chinese made bigger cleavers to the point your armor didn't matter and developed styles that were about precision poking of weak spots, so again, you armor doesn't matter. There are no Chinese sword cutting contests to see how much bamboo you can chop through. A big Kwan Dao or double broadsword will chop through whatever, including the hood of your car and radiator. Straight sword people just don't do that. They are practicing surgery on you.
The members of this forum are probably older than the average guy and have more experience. I share my observations:

1. most assaults are launched from ambush
2. most people are in bad physical shape and cannot last very long in close combat
3. no matter what you martial art, no matter what your physical condition, you give up some advantage when you engage in grappling
4. never use your hands as weapons so long as you can find and use something with an edge - a book edge, a stapler, a cell phone
5. learn human ergonomics in two ways - one would be the vulnerable parts of an opponent and two your framing so that you may effectively launch or repel blows

Anatomy of a fight. Ok, you are attacked. Instead of grappling, you try to maintain distance. A guy tries to hit you and you are in motion with the objective of having his blows fall short. At some point, he is approaching exhaustion and decides to end the fight with a series of all out blows, unprotected body and fully extended arms. You see this all the time in boxing.

I watched the video of the gun fight at the school in Oregon last week. Two officers. One trouble making parent. The cops are working as a team and separated. When the guy decides to leave, he is high tackled/grappled by one officer as the bad guy is going through a door. Now the advantage of two on one is gone. Now the tackling officer has given up his advantage of the tools on his body. The tackling officer is loaded with gear. He also doesn't know if the bad guy has fighting skills (the bad guy drew and fired a pistol a couple of times.)

It was a good shoot. However, think about what would have happened if the tackling officer had kicked a leg instead or had waited to launch his attack until he and his partner had cleared the door.

I know it was the policeman's "job". However, he knew the name of the perp, would know the residence address of the perp and if he hadn't grappled with the guy (and the guy had gotten away) filed a complaint and eventually the guy would have been picked up on a warrant.

You have to think about situations. You ask yourself why Bruce Lee, the master, said you only had to learn 5 moves. Or why Ernie Emerson says that the best way to engage in a knife fight is to run away. Watch tapes of all kinds of engagements and be critical so that you become better.
BD - GREAT pontoon the importance of controlling the distance in a fight. The styles I practice tend to be closer (as in within contact distance)...and distance is even more critical to control there!

And the most important rule of fighting, IMO, is if you don't have to, don't. Once you start - anything CAN happen. One moment of bad luck can ruin a lifetime of training...
I remember when the favorite debate topic was dojo v. street, but that was back in the days when the only protective gear was a cup and point fighting without landing blows and kicks was the game.

After a while I shifted my focus from traditional Shotokan to Muay Thai, but that was because my primary instructor had been on one of the Japanese kickboxing teams who once competed in the US and included US fighters. Once Americans who wanted to continue fighting on Japanese teams had to move to Japan, my instructor decided to stay here. (Lucky for me.) I've known him now for 48 years, and both of us eventually shifted our attention to some Chinese arts many years ago.

Nowadays the major interest and flavor is MMA, and traditional technique has been replaced by homogenization of techniques which include a lot of boxing punches, submission holds and chokes. Well, that's fine if you know for sure that you're only going to be attacked by one person, and that he isn't armed with something sharp, pointy or that goes bang.

I still remember the days when someone who trained hard in traditional methods could easily employ those skills outside the dojo ... as well as the dojo tigers who were all flash and show on the mats and in front of any handy mirrors, but who couldn't take a punch or kick.

The more things change ... Wink

Of course, nowadays at my age my training is less emphasis on heavy bags and rope makiwara, and more soft speed, continuous flow of technique and flexibility of soft/hard focus ... while avoiding injury. Wink Things hurt longer and heal more slowly, and old injuries (and surgeries) like to remind you of old times.