Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What have you done this week to forward your 2019 prepping goals?
Congrats on the Dillion...
always wanted one but just can't see the need yet due to the low number of rounds I make at a time.

For me it seems to pay off if you using/loading more than 500 rounds a month.. with my LCT and cheap progressive I can do aprox 150-250 per hour and thats about how many I need per as lately only using about 200-300 per month.

( run a Lee pro1000, and 2 lee classic turrets )
PS... NEVER buy a pro 1000, when it runs its ok, when it acts up which it does... you want to throw it
(10-24-2019, 12:41 PM)Tom Mac Wrote: Congrats on the Dillion...
always wanted one but just can't see the need yet due to the low number of rounds I make at a time.

For me it seems to pay off if you using/loading more than 500 rounds a month.. with my LCT and cheap progressive I can do aprox 150-250 per hour and thats about how many I need per as lately only using about 200-300 per month.

( run a Lee pro1000, and 2 lee classic turrets )
PS... NEVER buy a pro 1000, when it runs its ok, when it acts up which it does... you want to throw it

Thanks. It has worked great! My best friend, who has Dillon XL650, helped me setup my XL750. It was extremely helpful to have him there setting it up. He had already made all the mistakes setting his machine up. 

Now that I have gotten comfortable with it, I can produce 100 rounds in 10 minutes without working up a sweat. I have fired just over 500 rounds and no issues. Let me correct that, the first 100 rounds I made, the powder load was a little light, so I adjusted it up slightly and the 500 rounds from there on have been just fine with no tumbling, no cycling issues, nothing, pull the trigger and they go bang. 

So, now I'm waiting and watching for the fall sales so I can stock up on the reloading supplies on the cheap and keep right on shooting.
Replaced batteries in battery powered light sources. Bought more batteries. Reorganized and inventoried the pantry so as to know what we need to stock up on for routine consumption and to deepen the reserves. Better organized rifle and handgun magazines. Made a range trip with my 2 primary sidearms. Next will be doing some maintenance of my Coleman stoves and Coleman lantern. I recently replaced a rear sight on a rifle so I need to make it to the range to sight it in.
A good part of my preps is keeping items maintained. Yesterday, I started the process towards getting two mounts in the car replaced. Have to be factory OEM mounts.

I have also uped my exercise routine, hopefully on a permanent basis.
I've been my filling propane tanks in preparation for winter. Over the years I've picked up 20lb tanks left on the curb on trash day and swapped them out for filled ones. This was particularly good pickings when they changed the valve to the new style. Lots of people simply threw the old tanks away not realizing you could swap them for the new valve tanks at any propane exchange station.

I recently found a couple old valve tanks in my shed and exchanged them. I only exchange the old valve tanks, I then have them filled when empty which is cheaper. I now have eleven 20#ers and two 30#ers. All which are now full.

The 30#rs are what I run the cabin on with a pair of 20lbs as back up. I also have a pair of 20#rs for my travel trailer. The rest I keep at home for my two Buddy heaters, stoves etc.

I also have about a dozen 1lb tanks which I refill with an adapter and a 20# tank. Always on the look out for the small disposable tanks to refill.

Still need to get another long hose to run the heaters off the big tanks.
1. congrats to Mac66.

2.  car work today.  My neighbors buy Teslas, Lexus, and I even counted 3 new Land Rovers two blocks away.  I stick with the 2004 car so that I don't have car debt.  108,000 miles.  I bought and took in OEM torque mount and front engine mount for replacement and AT 205 to lubricate the seals under the car.  My fingers were crossed.  Ended up replacing the radiator as welll (OEM) and buying new lug nuts (thank  you Costco for destroying the lug nuts).  First major work since the obligatory 90,000 overhaul.  My dad got 243,000 miles on his car, same model.  Your car has to be good to go when the balloon ever goes up.  It means more than just have a full tank of gasoline.
While I was at my cabin hunting my wife called and said the furnace went out and it was cold in the house. I reminded her that we had a couple kerosene heaters standing by in the garage and a 5 gallon can of kero. Told her to move one of the heaters to the basement to keep pipes from freezing and put the other on the main floor to stay warm. Also reminded her of the two propane heaters and dozen or so 1lb tanks, not to mention the 4 or 5 20#s I have. She set up the heater in the basement but then the furnace came on then off, then on. She ended up calling a kid (now a man) who was a friend of my sons and used to be in my Boy Scout troop who now owned a heating and cooling business. He dropped what he was doing and came over. He found out the flame sensor in the furnace we dirty and wasn't triggering the furnace. He cleaned it and the furnace was good to go.

Lessons learned...

1. Even though I have 5 gallons of kero I need at least 2 more cans
2. I need to order another long propane hose, got 1, need 2
3. Having kero reminded me to start filling up gas cans for the generator. I have 3 full cans and about 6 empty 5 gallon ones.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up What have you done this week to forward your 2018 prepping goals? David 59 16,479 12-06-2018, 02:44 PM
Last Post: David
  Alcohol & Prepping Scout 16 2,814 09-29-2018, 01:01 AM
Last Post: Bob
Exclamation Pay it forward David 15 7,359 05-31-2018, 11:23 AM
  Thrift Stores, Antique Stores, and prepping Chico Bill 6 3,107 02-04-2018, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  What have you done this week to forward your 2017 prepping goals? David 88 27,352 12-31-2017, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
Video Ten prepping lessons that L.E. Has taught me video David 2 1,612 11-14-2017, 06:05 AM
Last Post: Gene
Question Your goals for 2017? David 1 1,505 01-08-2017, 04:37 AM
Last Post: Gene
Question What have you done this week to forward your 2016 prepping goals? David 74 34,103 11-26-2016, 12:52 PM
  Prepping For Gas Shortages JRSC 16 6,666 09-30-2016, 01:09 PM
Last Post: kirgi08
Question What have you done this week to forward your 2015 prepping goals? David 61 34,092 01-02-2016, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Dr. Dickie