Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Use the correct pool shock
#1
Use the correct kind of pool shock – there are two kinds


Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water .


A 1-pound pag of calcium hypochlorite in granular form will treat up to 10,000 gallons of drinking water.


Calcium hypochlorite is one of the best chemical disinfectants for water, better than household bleach by far. It destroys a variety of disease causing organisms including bacteria, yeast, fungus, spores, and viruses.


Calcium Hypochlorite is widely available for use as swimming pool chlorine tablets or white powder that is much more stable than chlorine. This is often known as “pool shock”.


How to Disinfect Water Using Calcium Hypochlorite Using granular calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water is a three step process:


To make a stock of chlorine solution (do not drink this!) dissolve 1 heaping teaspoon (about one-quarter of an ounce) of high-test (78%) granular calcium hypochlorite for each two gallons (eight liters) of water.


To disinfect water add one part of this chlorine solution to 100 parts water to be treated.


Let the mixture sit for at least one-half hour before drinking.


Be sure to obtain the dry granular calcium hypochlorite since once it is made into a liquid solution it will begin to degrade and eventually become useless as a disinfecting agent. This also means you should make your treated drinking water in small batches, for example enough for a few weeks at a time at most. A Little Calcium Hypochlorite Makes Many Gallons of Potable Water Another plus for using calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water for emergency use is that a little goes a very long way.


A 1-pound pag of calcium hypochlorite in granular form typically costs only a few US dollars and can be obtained in any swimming pool supply section of your hardware store or online. This amount will treat up to 10,000 gallons of drinking water, which is enough for a family of four for some six or seven years at a gallon per day per person!


Calcium hypochlorite will store for a long period of time and remain effective as a chemical drinking water treatment. So get rid of the household bleach and buy a can of Calcium hypochlorite for your disaster emergency water disinfection needs. It lasts far longer and treats far more water than the traditional chlorine bleach water disinfection treatment. So there you have it: when it comes to making water safe to drink you are better off having a small stockpile of calcium hypochlorite than jugs of bleach.


The stuff is exceedingly hydrotropic, sucking in water. Store in a zip lock baggie inside a clear plastic sealed container and store in the dark. Have extra zip lock baggies and measuring tools for dispersal/usage.



Costs about $7 a pound. Get it at a pool supply company.
Reply
#2
I bought a while back the lab pure quality... didn't like the unknown 30% other materials common in pool supplies

https://www.amazon.com/Calcium-Hypochlor...47QP7EG5E0
Reply
#3
(12-17-2018, 11:25 PM)Tom Mac Wrote: I bought a while back the lab pure quality... didn't like the unknown 30% other materials common in pool supplies

https://www.amazon.com/Calcium-Hypochlor...47QP7EG5E0

If your lab stuff is 99% pure, what is the remaining 1%. The chlorine is 68%, what is the other 32% of mystery chemicals?

(12-17-2018, 11:25 PM)Tom Mac Wrote: I bought a while back the lab pure quality... didn't like the unknown 30% other materials common in pool supplies

https://www.amazon.com/Calcium-Hypochlor...47QP7EG5E0

If your lab stuff is 99% pure, what is the remaining 1%. The chlorine is 68%, what is the other 32% of mystery chemicals?

(12-17-2018, 11:25 PM)Tom Mac Wrote: I bought a while back the lab pure quality... didn't like the unknown 30% other materials common in pool supplies

https://www.amazon.com/Calcium-Hypochlor...47QP7EG5E0

If your lab stuff is 99% pure, what is the remaining 1%. The chlorine is 68%, what is the other 32% of mystery chemicals?
Reply
#4
The other percentages are usu calcium chloride and calcium carbonate,... not necess wanted to digest in high portions.

Pool versions are in the range of 70%+ of Ca(OCl)2 with remainder of above... your better off with lab quality at 99% pure for not much difference in price.

Yes , liquid bleach is better ( Sodium hypochlorite ) for drinking water, but storage is not as long term as it looses it strength over time

As to the % of chlorine... that comes from the available CL2 in the compound... only chlorine liquid ( chlorine gas ) has 100%
Reply
#5
Again - remember what we are talking here:

#1 Survival situations
#2 All of these chemicals degrade fairly quickly in time
#3 You are not drinking Rat study amounts

Even if the option is "drink straight up pool water" for a couple of days, or go out into the apocalypse looking for water - pool water is an obvious, and safe choice.

And of course...boil/filter, etc....should ALWAYS be an option!!!!


Man - the world has been so programmed to be afraid of every damn thing - yet we eat food out of boxes from grocery stores.
Reply
#6
Agree... both prices are about the same, and lab quality comes in nice containers Smile
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The pool is redone! Bob 3 520 07-07-2018, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Bob

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)