Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zippo wick/flint
For you guys that carry a Zippo, how often have you found it necessary to change the wick and the flint?  How often do you use the lighter?  I don't smoke and carry a Zippo as a prep.  With the ranger band I can go 3 weeks or more before needing to refill but tend to fill it every two weeks as part of a schedule I'm on.  I test light it at that time so for the most part I light it up twice a month.  I'm on my original wick and flint and have had this lighter for (guessing) two years give or take.  

I have an extra wick and several flints in the bottom of the insert but haven't found the need to use them yet.

You guys?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Have carried a Zippo for about 30+ years. Wicks usually last me about 5 years. Flints last me about 2-3 months I smoke a pipe. For long term a Zippo would not be the best, as for evaporation, lack of fuel/flints[dead Bic's will work], and they are noisy[opening/closing]. Used a Ronson in Viet Nam for a year and afterwards for a while. Another long life wick lighter. Long term flints-coat in colored nail polish-thin coat as possible. Stops decay from air/moisture contact.
For long term, like sticking in a BOB, I agree.  A Bic would be the best bet.  For daily carry I like the Zippo due to the wide availability of fuel sources (lighter fluid/Naptha, gasoline, kerosine, hand sanitizer etc).  I'm curious if the flints that I store inside the insert will eventually degrade?  I'll have to pull them out and take a close look at them.  But on the casual inspection they look fine.  

Edit:  Just took out the insert to look at the flints.  They look fine.  Shiny but fine.  The extra wick in the insert looks fine as well.  So far a good idea and easy storage of some extra parts.

(12-12-2018, 12:40 PM)David Wrote: For long term, like sticking in a BOB, I agree.  A Bic would be the best bet.  For daily carry I like the Zippo due to the wide availability of fuel sources (lighter fluid/Naptha, gasoline, kerosine, hand sanitizer etc).  I'm curious if the flints that I store inside the insert will eventually degrade?  I'll have to pull them out and take a close look at them.  But on the casual inspection they look fine.  

Edit:  Just took out the insert to look at the flints.  They look fine.  Shiny but fine.  The extra wick in the insert looks fine as well.  So far a good idea and easy storage of some extra parts.

The flints I keep in the bottom will last me 18-24 months without any problems.  Air/moisture are the basic enemies of the flints.
Wicks depend on the quality of fuel,we keep parts for zips.A lot of them,David you bein in fla the humidity can mess with 1.We don't buy "zippo" products,they store fluid in cheap tin cans/?.Ronsonol fluid/parts,they store fuel in thick plastic jugs/cans.Their wicks as far as I've seen are better,flints ignite a wee bit better.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I understand both your concerns with moisture. I think the ranger band on the Zippo not only helps to slow evaporation but also keeps out moisture. Win-win.

First time I've had to trim the wick in my Zippo. Was getting a bit hard to light and the flame was low so I took some needle nose pliers, pulled the wick up a bit and trimmed off the end. Nice big, bright flame now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Bic or Zippo? David 52 17,787 09-13-2018, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Wolfman