Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homemade filter?
What about making a bulk filter for home or camp?
I'm thinking of a sports cooler with a spigot at the bottom filled with alternating layers of activated charcoal and fine sand. A faucet screen could keep the spigot from clogging and gravity would do the filtering. These are all readily available components and could be assembled quickly. 

What do you guys think?
It's a viable system,the output would depend on size/volume.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
In a make shift situation it is viable and would go a long way towards getting the water potable.  I'd still like to boil if possible/practical.

For long term I'd like to have either/or the Berkey or the Sawyer.  We've got the Travel Berkey ready to go as well as the Sawyer all-in-one in-line filter.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
The following is a makeshift filter.  The concept is similar to what is described in the OP and could be adapted for use as a more permanent set up.  

Store charcoal folks and sand.'08.

I have been working, on and off, for the last couple of years to get a viable slow sand biological filter going. I made one on a 50 gal trashcan. You have to run it (water into it every day for a couple of months) to get it functioning correctly.
The idea is, bad oxygenated water goes in the top. As the water makes its way through the fine sand at the top, aerobic bacteria will consume all the baddies in the water. By the time the water gets down toward the middle of the filter, the oxygen has been consumed by the aerobic bacteria, and you get a very anoxic condition. Any anaerobic bacteria will not be able to exist, since all the food was consumed by aerobic bacteria on the top. Test show great results in 3rd world counties.
I have made a few design mistakes (I have learned), and I hopefully have corrected one flaw (more of a bandaid than a true correction). I have now had it operational for a few months. I am preparing to test it out this coming weekend--so long as the culture media I made up yesterday stays infection free to Thursday, I will culture some water from it, and hope for the best.
If fails, then I am going to start over and correct the one big dumb thing I did wrong.
If if works, I will let the group know.
Store charcoal folks and sand.'08.

and Calcium Hypochlorite granules ( pool shock )
(01-04-2016, 08:15 PM)Dr. Dickie Wrote: I have been working, on and off, for the last couple of years to get a viable slow sand biological filter going.  I made one on a 50 gal trashcan.  You have to run it (water into it every day for a couple of months) to get it functioning correctly.
The idea is, bad oxygenated water goes in the top.  As the water makes its way through the fine sand at the top, aerobic bacteria will consume all the baddies in the water.  By the time the water gets down toward the middle of the filter, the oxygen has been consumed by the aerobic bacteria, and you get a very anoxic condition.  Any anaerobic bacteria will not be able to exist, since all the food was consumed by aerobic bacteria on the top. Test show great results in 3rd world counties.
I have made a few design mistakes (I have learned), and I hopefully have corrected one flaw (more of a bandaid than a true correction).  I have now had it operational for a few months.  I am preparing to test it out this coming weekend--so long as the culture media I made up yesterday stays infection free to Thursday, I will culture some water from it, and hope for the best.
If fails, then I am going to start over and correct the one big dumb thing I did wrong.
If if works, I will let the group know.

I gotta say that you do some of the coolest projects.  I always look forward to seeing your stuff.  Smile

Water could be a premium down there.'08.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Water Filter tests.. ric0123 2 1,104 06-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  Hiker, 62, stranded 9 days with broken legs rescued - water filter David 0 1,150 09-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Last Post: David