Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AR15 CMMG 22 Conversion
A degrading political atmosphere locally and some Black Friday deals spurred me to buy another EBR (evil black rifle). Get 'em while you can.

[Image: KuQV9i8.jpg]

Complete build under $400. We'll see how it compares to pricier versions later. First impressions are all good.

Another Black Friday deal was for the CMMG 22 conversion kit. I've heard mostly glowing reports so I scored one of those too.

[Image: WcdkBrm.jpg]

Assembled with kit installed
[Image: MeJfF5O.jpg]

Touching off 22lr ammo goes over a lot better around here than 223/5.56 unless you're whacking a yote so I didn't need to head to the range to get a familiar with it. I tried a variety of 22 - CCI Mini Mags and Standard Velocity, Aguila Standard Velocity and Sniper Subsonic, Federal Bulk - and proceeded to check for function and shoot for groups. I wasn't sure how the 1/7 twist would do with 22 rimfire ammo but right off the bat the CCI Mini Mags showed promise.

[Image: 8yk0u0tl.jpg]

The SV did almost as well but all of the groups produced a flier. Same with the Aguila SV but the SSS did better than I expected. I had read that it needed a 1/9 twist of faster to shoot well and that appears to be true. At least the holes are round. It did print a little higher than the other loads.

[Image: qj1gCPbl.jpg]

[Image: a2PGZIll.jpg]

The federal bulk ammo didn't group. I'm not certain why but 6" at 25 yards is not even good enough to plink with. Bummer because it's what I have the most of...

Function was 100%, even with a "dry" gun for about 200 rounds with the ammo listed. I'll test it with some other ammo when I get the chance.

The sight to bore offset is 2-1/2"+ inches. I was a little surprised how close the elevation was on right out of the box. It did require some windage adjustment.

[Image: 2snmv1Ml.jpg]

Later I zero'd it with the CCI mini Mags at 100 yards as it appeared on the ballistic chart that it would be the most practical Point Blank Zero for field use, POI = POA within ~2-1/2" the whole way. With some practice and experience I think I could hunt small game with that. For steel and paper it's good to go.

[Image: Qrn8jD4l.jpg]
It will be interesting to see what 5.56 ammo it likes and how much change will be required for zeroing. If it's close it sure would make this a versatile package.

In comparison to my 10/22 TD it looks like it is more finicky about ammo accuracy wise. The rifle with an empty mag is just under 7 pounds vs. less than 4.5 for the 10/22 TD in backpacker configuration. It is also bulkier. I'll have to scope it before I know how accurate it really is. I suspect it is on par with a 10/22 with the ammo it likes.

Where it shines is as a training tool for those unfamiliar with the AR platform and those wanting to get reps in less expensively. It could do a lot of the work a dedicated 22 lr rifle can do, just clumsier.

So far, I'm very happy with my purchase.
Looks like you got a winner. Those are good groups at 25, how did it do at 100?
I have an older CMMG conversion kit for my ARs. I don't know how it groups because I've never gotten it to work more that a few rounds between jams. I thought it would be good in my original SP1 upper which has a 1:12 twist which is closer to conventional 22lr twists. I've tried it in every AR i have or come across but no joy yet.

So if you got one that works. congratulations!
(12-06-2018, 07:54 PM)Ronin.45 Wrote: Looks like you got a winner. Those are good groups at 25, how did it do at 100?

At 100 I struggled with the sights. The front post is a bit wide for my liking. Centering the post on a smaller dot was my undoing resulting in horizontal stringing. 3 out of five inside of 2"-3" with a couple of outliers flanking the group at the same elevation. I didn't send enough down range to draw any firm conclusions. Primarily I just wanted to be set for next time. I'll verify the zero, confirm the ballistic calcs at various yardages and test some different ammo that I have on hand. Hopefully I'll get the chance run some 5.56 through it too.

Overall I'm optimistic. I'm still getting familiar with the nuances of this AR. It's a lot of fun so I'm enjoying it. I'm not really an AR enthusiast (yet) but with the politics in this region I know I better get what I want now while it's still affordable to do so.

Mac I've heard they have improved. Is yours the stainless?

I had my doubts as other 22 kits I have were only marginally reliable. This one ran like a champ.
(12-06-2018, 10:10 PM)justsaymo Wrote:
(12-06-2018, 07:54 PM)Ronin.45 Wrote: Looks like you got a winner. Those are good groups at 25, how did it do at 100?

At 100 I struggled with the sights. The front post is a bit wide for my liking. Centering the post on a smaller dot was my undoing resulting in horizontal stringing. 3 out of five inside of 2"-3" with a couple of outliers flanking the group at the same elevation. I didn't send enough down range to draw any firm conclusions. Primarily I just wanted to be set for next time. I'll verify the zero, confirm the ballistic calcs at various yardages and test some different ammo that I have on hand. Hopefully I'll get the chance run some 5.56 through it too.

Overall I'm optimistic. I'm still getting familiar with the nuances of this AR. It's a lot of fun so I'm enjoying it. I'm not really an AR enthusiast (yet) but with the politics in this region I know I better get what I want now while it's still affordable to do so.

Mac I've heard they have improved. Is yours the stainless?

I had my doubts as other 22 kits I have were only marginally reliable. This one ran like a champ.

Yeah, stainless but its 10-15 years old.