Poll: What's your level of preparedness?
10%
20%
30%
40%
50%
60%
70%
80%
90%
100%
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level of preparedness - SHTF/WROL/TEOTWAWTI
I said 100% and here is why; In the event of the "Big One" where it is game over , the most important skills are going to be

#1 The ability to be flexible and change
#2 The ability to solve problems

We can say all we want about TEOTWAKI - but I believe the fact is that in TEOTWAKI, the biggest rule is that you will have to deal with things you are NOT prepared to deal with. The belief that enough food, water, and ammo will get you through it is actually dangerous IMO.

(08-10-2015, 11:41 PM)David Wrote: I feel like we've got perhaps a years worth of stored food at this point.  I'm not satisfied with this and it is one of the areas that I'd like to address heavily.  The sooner the better.  This doesn't count the garden which at times can yield a decent amount of certain vegetables/fruits.  Water isn't an issue in the long term.  I have a rain barrel catchment system set up and I'm about a football fields distance from the nearest lake with multiple other lakes just a little further.  And I have both the Berkey and Sawyer filtration systems.  Not to mention simple filtering and boiling.  I also have a means to take a shower via a solar shower bag.  I should invest in a couple of more of the those (note to self).  I'm not where I'd like to be with stored ammo, but I'm starting to creep towards being somewhat comfortable.  I have the means to charge batteries and other items with solar power on a small scale basis.  I'd like to increase my solar abilities though and a sun oven has been on my list for some time now (another note to self). 

So food would be on the priority with other things to follow.

Perfect example of why I say what I say.  All good….unless the you have to bug out.  Then what?  You have the ability to transport family plus the food????  

All of that makes the assumption that sit tight is a reasonable strategy.  Let's melt the ice caps fast and flood the area a la global warmning.  Do you have waterproof domes to cover everything?
Bugging out will always be the last option for us, for various reasons.  Currently we don't have a BOL.  So beyond setting up a tent in the woods we don't have that angle covered, at least not yet.  I'd love to have a cabin on a piece of land away from the city.  At this time though the concentration is primarily on hunkering down in place.

To that end;

Quote:I feel like we've got perhaps a years worth of stored food at this point.  I'm not satisfied with this and it is one of the areas that I'd like to address heavily.  The sooner the better.  This doesn't count the garden which at times can yield a decent amount of certain vegetables/fruits. 

Stored food supply has been increased with the addition of our DIY food buckets.  More importantly is the addition of the meat rabbits and quail.  This is a supply of meat and eggs that doesn't have to be hunted or gathered from afar.  It is showing itself to be a viable supplement to our food prep plan.  Current goal is to stockpile a supply of feed for each and get back into raising meal worms and set aside a section of the garden for the rabbits to have greens and such so that I'm not totally dependent on the feed store.  I've learned to raise, humanely dispatch and process both rabbit and quail.  

Quote:I have a rain barrel catchment system set up and I'm about a football fields distance from the nearest lake with multiple other lakes just a little further.  And I have both the Berkey and Sawyer filtration systems.  Not to mention simple filtering and boiling.

Continues to be an area of the preps that I'm comfortable with in the long term.

Quote:I also have a means to take a shower via a solar shower bag.

Still need to address.

Quote: I'm not where I'd like to be with stored ammo

An area that I have addressed that I'm beginning to feel more comfortable.  Having a bulk supplier 20 minutes from the house with good prices on the calibers I use has helped.   

Going with the 2 is 1 philosoply, I'm focusing on adding depth to the firearms I currently have.  I only have one 12 gauge SG at this time so I'd like to add another pump and one or two single shot.  I have multiple firearms in the other calibers so I'm happy in that area.  At some point perhaps another .308 and some additional .22 rifles.  I don't have a 'battle' rifle (AK, AR or SKS etc) but do have the HP carbines so I'm not totally unsatisfied in that area.

Quote:I have the means to charge batteries and other items with solar power on a small scale basis.

Still adding to this area.

Other areas would be dealing with the weather and climate changes.  Anyone living in Florida knows that not having AC in the summer sucks.  I've researched into making micro-climates within the house and various ways to deal with or diminish the heat.  Won't replace AC but the goal is to make it comfortable enough to maintain a good sleep pattern which is essential for health and good decision making.  Things like putting up space blankets over the appropriate windows to reduce the amount of short/long wave radiation coming into the house.  Putting up wet sheets to take advantage of convection.  Things of that nature.  The cold isn't as difficult to deal with in our A.O. as we don't have to worry about snow and such.  

Medical is an area I've taken a hard look at.  Not totally satisfied with where I'm at, but it continues to improve in both supplies and knowledge i.e. I'm a CPR/First Responder Instructor, learned to make medicinal tintures, salves and ointments, have a supply of and can make additional colloidal silver and have gotten into essential oils and such.  

So overall, things have steadily improved on this particular topic.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
After 90 days, things would start getting difficult. We could most likely make it 6 months, but as it has been pointed out there are a lot of factors that come into play.

We have the ability to get water, growing food would be possible, but it would be challenge since we haven't done a large garden in years.

Depending on the number of people that survive to this point would affect the ease at which we could survive. The more depleted natural resources become, the greater the challenge. If a majority of people die off in the first 90 days, then our odds greatly improve.
(08-10-2015, 11:41 PM)David Wrote: I'm not where I'd like to be with stored ammo, but I'm starting to creep towards being somewhat comfortable. 

Time to buy a simple Lee classic turret press and learn a couple simple loads... a good thing to learn.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Financial Preparedness / Next Recession Bob 3 94 08-26-2019, 01:10 PM
Last Post: mac66
  Folding knives Philosophy of Use Post SHTF. Rifleman 84 9 534 08-19-2019, 02:25 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
Question Your advice to someone new to emergency preparedness and/or self reliance David 35 23,820 07-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Last Post: bmyers
Question Level of preparedness - 72hr David 19 9,940 09-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Last Post: JRSC
Question Level of preparation - 90 days David 10 4,233 09-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Wild Fires and Preparedness Bob 7 2,991 05-02-2017, 02:22 AM
  Level of preparedness - 30 days David 24 13,092 09-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Last Post: David
  Survival and Preparedness 2016 JRSC 4 3,135 01-06-2016, 05:16 AM
  Preparedness and Thanksgiving. Bob 5 2,936 11-28-2015, 12:51 AM