Poll: What's your level of preparedness?
10%
20%
30%
40%
50%
60%
70%
80%
90%
100%
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level of preparedness - SHTF/WROL/TEOTWAWTI
Just as in the 72 hour poll, what is your level of preparedness in an event that is....well, it's THE event (massive EMP/Grid down and busted/Major world wide economic collapse/etc).  Or a combination of events that just screws the pooch as far as life as we know it.  Where are you at?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
It depends on how many stupid neighbors I'll have to take care of, but just the wife and myself might be good for about 6 months before we'd have to leave the property to scrounge up more food and water.

If we had to leave we have a couple of different means of transportation but only one that would carry all of our stuff at one time. We also have the proper fuels stored up for each of these (except for the bicycles),we have enough to make it to our bug-out location and more.

Our bug-out location is less than perfect but at least we have a plan. Although, we do have all of our eggs in one basket... I really need to get my own property out east.

I don't know how to rate myself for this pole.
I voted 10%. I've actually thought about this quite a while. in a SHTF, TEOTWAWKI situation we are only as good as our cover. If these things were to happen we couldn't have much access to a garden, water source such as a river or something as the hoards and masses will be at MadMax levels. Being safe in our own homes will only be a matter of time. Having knowledge of bug out locations and getting there without the masses knowing and keeping it covert as possible is about as good as it can get.

I think defense takes priority much higher in these times than other aspects we tend to think are critical. With that said, I don't really believe there is a 100% or even a 75% chance (or lesser) of preparation. It would take the situation actually happening and planning day by day to reach those levels. It's mainly depends on escaping the mobs that will be running about that makes the biggest impact.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
My current home is a half mile from the Yerkes laboratories. If I can bug out without coming into contact with a disease ridden monkey so I can make it to my BOL then things would be OK. But the real problem is getting out of the ATL to get to my BOL.

That should change soon - I just took a job in Charleston SC. I start in two weeks.
I feel like we've got perhaps a years worth of stored food at this point.  I'm not satisfied with this and it is one of the areas that I'd like to address heavily.  The sooner the better.  This doesn't count the garden which at times can yield a decent amount of certain vegetables/fruits.  Water isn't an issue in the long term.  I have a rain barrel catchment system set up and I'm about a football fields distance from the nearest lake with multiple other lakes just a little further.  And I have both the Berkey and Sawyer filtration systems.  Not to mention simple filtering and boiling.  I also have a means to take a shower via a solar shower bag.  I should invest in a couple of more of the those (note to self).  I'm not where I'd like to be with stored ammo, but I'm starting to creep towards being somewhat comfortable.  I have the means to charge batteries and other items with solar power on a small scale basis.  I'd like to increase my solar abilities though and a sun oven has been on my list for some time now (another note to self). 

So food would be on the priority with other things to follow.

5yrs x 2,both our homes have that at a minimum.We have trailers loaded and rtg,what we leave behind our neighbors can have.We will leave a 18kw genny and about 8 cords of wood.About a 1000gal of diesel/kero,we can't move that in a g.o.o.d scenario.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.
(08-11-2015, 06:13 AM)kirgi08 Wrote: 5yrs x 2,both our homes have that at a minimum.We have trailers loaded and rtg,what we leave behind our neighbors can have.We will leave a 18kw genny and about 8 cords of wood.About a 1000gal of diesel/kero,we can't move that in a g.o.o.d scenario.'08.

Have you a spare trailer hitch for a fuel trailer ? I browse military surplus sales and see fuel trailers now and then, yes i know it is sad but i do envy the resources the USA prepper has compared to the UK is am stuck using 55 gallon barrels on pallets for mine.

quick google turned up http://www.easternsurplus.net/misc.html (TR-103) Fuel Pods, good used, 600 gallon $1300 each/Dispensing units with Pump/Reel/hose/dispenser- 24 volt pump to run from your truck $1900 each set
We have the fuel stored in old heating oil tanks,we can get a 500ga tank/used for around a $100 US.We have 10 full at this time and 5 more waiting on fuel prices to drop.I have a 150ga bed tank in my f250,I can fill the tank in a few minutes.We don't store diesel at the house,it's at the bol.I have enough fuel in the truck for rt at a 800 +/- miles,depending on load.

There is a trick here that I don't think you guys have there,we can use heating oil as diesel fuel,It's got a red dye in it and if you get caught you'll be writing a large check to the state.However in a shtf,I'll ignore that,we have friends that produce diesel from used cooking oil.Blue Ridge Bio-fuels,the exhaust from vehicles using it smells like french fries.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.
Lot of new members, BTT Smile

I'm gonna say 100% for one reason. You have to view it like that. Everyone preps and thinks they have everything covered. I'm not trying to put anyone down here but in that type of situation everything goes right out the window. Every hour of every day you do what you can however you can. Try to keep your loved ones and your moral compass safe but none of us can anticipate every angle.
I could have all my bases covered and cut myself bad cutting wood or get bit by a copperhead or some other scenario. We would have to work it the best we can and at the end of every day pull our loved ones close and be thankful for one more day.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Financial Preparedness / Next Recession Bob 3 72 08-26-2019, 01:10 PM
Last Post: mac66
  Folding knives Philosophy of Use Post SHTF. Rifleman 84 9 505 08-19-2019, 02:25 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
Question Your advice to someone new to emergency preparedness and/or self reliance David 35 23,686 07-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Last Post: bmyers
Question Level of preparedness - 72hr David 19 9,923 09-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Last Post: JRSC
Question Level of preparation - 90 days David 10 4,225 09-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Wild Fires and Preparedness Bob 7 2,982 05-02-2017, 02:22 AM
  Level of preparedness - 30 days David 24 13,071 09-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Last Post: David
  Survival and Preparedness 2016 JRSC 4 3,129 01-06-2016, 05:16 AM
  Preparedness and Thanksgiving. Bob 5 2,927 11-28-2015, 12:51 AM