Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Examples of why one should always be armed in the woods
Quote:On the cougar topic, here in Wisconsin South of Madison about 8yrs ago there sightings, footprints, and even hair samples found of what local landowners were saying was a large cougar. Many reports were made over a several week period if I remember correctly.

On the local news they had someone from the State DNR who stopped just short of making fun of those folks making those reports, because it was impossible... or so they said.

Several months later in a Chicago suburb near an elementary school with children present, there was a large cougar sighted, and the local police shot the hell out of it in broad daylight. It ended up weighing 150lbs!

When its DNA was compared to the hair samples from the Wisconsin landowners, it was found to be a match!

150lbs is a big cat, especially when they do not exist here in Wi lol. I remember reading reports that the folks that heard the gunshots from the police thought war had broken out, due to the number of gunshots it took to put the big cat down.
Quote:“I spend a lot of time in the desert SW of Tucson and see a lot of coyotes, coy dogs and even spotted a Mexican wolf back in November. Lots of snakes and tarantulas. Every now and then we spot a small wild/bobcat and sometimes we've seen big cat tracks out there.

Nothing however scares me as much as the feral dogs out there. For years people have been abandoning dogs out there. Most don't survive but the ones that do pack up and become scavengers and pack hunters.

Recently I was out there with my father in law who uses a walker and can't move very well. We were hanging out at our property under a bamboo ramada he built years ago. We saw an enormous jack rabbit hauling butt across the property. It looked hilarious running the way it was with its enormous ears and huge rear feet and we had just begun to laugh when suddenly there they were.

A pack of strays, they wanted to go after the rabbit but now they were eyeballing us. I yelled at them to go but they just stood there staring. It wasn't until I picked up a rock and launched it at them that they ran back the way they had come.

My father in law told me the dogs are one of the reasons he can't really go out and enjoy the property by himself. With his limited mobility he might become easy pickings for them. I for one was glad to have my G26 on my hip and my Mini-14 locked a loaded with a 20 round mag in the pick up.”
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Another important thing to remember is to have ammo that will do the job. Back in the 80's I was home on leave from the military and I had gone down behind the pond on the farm to do some target shooting with my new Taurus 92AF 9mm. I was shooting ball ammo at the range and when I was through I did a quick wipe down of the gun and reloaded one of the two magazines with more 115 grain ball ammo and the other with Hydra-Shok's. Fast forward to latter that day and I drove my truck out to the barn to change the oil. The gun was on the front seat with the ball ammo mag. About half way through the process a large stray dog that had a foaming mouth wandered up and started acting aggressively. I grabbed my pistol and emptied the magazine on him. I hit the dog 14 out of the 15 bullets and it was still coming. I loaded the second mag and 1 shot took him down with the Hydra-Shok bullets.

Lesson learned: for any pistol, ball ammo is only for the range. When you leave the range load only hollow points.

I make it a point to try to buy only HP rounds. It is a few dollars more but all of the energy is transfered instead of making a through and through hole.
Quote:So I will add a twist to this for you. A couple of years ago there was a guy about 15 minutes from me that had been housing exotic animals. In an epic act of spite, the guy opened all of their cages to wreak havoc on his neighbors (who had been reporting him supposedly) and then killed himself. 56 wild, aggressive animals went loose through central Ohio - Including 18 Tigers and 17 Lions. I know that seems like an extraordinary case, but those people are out there and I sure would hate to run into that in the woods (before or after a societal breakdown)[url=http://nypost.com/2011/10/19/owner-k...-free-in-ohio/][/url]
Quote:Back in the 90s I had come off active duty and gone back into the guard and one of my guys was a Game Warden. Well I was watching the news around New Years Eve 1996 and this guy was being interviewed in a very small community north of my home town by about 25-30 miles called Stallo. It was just a community out in the woods with one store on the highway and the rest, farms, woods, etc.

Anyway, this guy said that evening (NYE) he had stepped out of his trailer and had seen a full grown African Lion walking through the field. The news anchor said that there had been other reports of big cats spotted by people in the area. The news never did a follow up on any of this, but I got curious.

So being curious, when I next went to drill, I asked the Game warden in my unit what was going on with this report?...was the guy drunk?

He told me that Game and Fish were keeping things quiet, but they had gotten a call about a woman up there who was raising "big cats" of all different kinds in a sort of private zoo. They were alerted to her because she had started asking area deer hunters for meat scraps to feed them. Two officers went up there to investigate (and I will try to remember the numbers he told me correctly), and counted over 120 "big cats" of all different kinds. They left, but she must have gotten suspicious that they were coming back, because when they showed back up with around 20 Game & Fish officers and a lot of cages, either the next day or a few days later, they only gathered up 80 something cats. The guy in my unit was not one of the first two officers, but he was one of the ones who went back to gather them up.

The only explanation he had was that she released the rest.

Now bear in mind, this is in a very rural area, with only small towns within 15 miles or so of this community. If she released them, there is a large enough whitetail deer population to sustain them in the woods, and they could easily go unseen for life. If she released breeding pairs into that area, there is no telling what is out there now, and given a big cats range, they could easily be down here.

All I know is, if I see an African Lion while deer hunting, he is going on my wall.

I do a bit of hiking in Va off the AT trail with the wife... we have come across black bears many times. Now in VA, the black bears aren't that large per say, but they're big enough for me to carry a 10mm.
Good news is out of the 5+ times we got near a bear, they mostly moved off on its own. Only once I thought it was going to be a problem ( think there were cubs tho we didn't see any ). We slowly backed off while making noise and walked a different trail that day.
Feral bears around here. LOL. Black bears, and coastal brown bears. We pack large here. Big bore revolver with hard cast slugs. Some guys like a short shotgun, but it seems it's often leaned against a tree, or slung across their back just when they need it most.
(09-01-2015, 08:35 PM)SmokeRoss Wrote: Feral bears around here. LOL. Black bears, and coastal brown bears. We pack large here. Big bore revolver with hard cast slugs. Some guys like a short shotgun, but it seems it's often leaned against a tree, or slung across their back just when they need it most.

I'm guessing Alaska or the Pacific Northwest?

Aunt and uncle lived in Valdez, Alaska for 30 years.  Carried a .44 magnum when they were out and about hiking/snowmobiling etc.  Does have some advantages over a long gun i.e. perhaps a bit more readily available.  It would really suck to have a bear 'here' and your rifle over 'there'!

Six people were believed to have been killed at a rural Texas campsite by a local man in what law enforcement officials are calling the largest homicide case in the county’s history.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/six-people-fo...00026.html
I was just talking with my brother the other day.  He's on 26 acres out in the country.  Last week while walking out to the hen house he was charged by a Rotweiller that had wandered from the wooded side of his property.  He figured it was about 130lbs.  He almost always has a gun on his hip while walking his property and today it was no different.  Except rather than carrying his .38 or 9mm he tossed on the 6-shot .22 revolver.  Not his best choice but at least it worked.  The first round was rat-shot so that was useless.  He figured he hit the dog at least 3 out of the next five shots.  It was enough to turn the dog around and he ran off. 

I suggested to him to make sure it's the .38 or 9mm from now on.  He's used his 12g or AK numerous times to dispatch varmints and rabid animals on the property.

When at the cabin I carry my g20.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation The Armed Citizen David 45 18,343 12-12-2018, 04:37 AM
Last Post: Bob
  The Armed Citizen - A Five Year Analysis David 2 163 10-27-2018, 09:57 PM
Last Post: Ronin.45
  Woods carry: .40 S&W or .357sig? David 26 2,166 06-12-2018, 01:33 AM
Last Post: David
Thumbs Up Armed citizens defending themselves David 4 2,676 08-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Last Post: kirgi08