Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Examples of why one should always be armed in the woods
Exclamation 
A member of the SRI forum (no longer active) posted this a while back. I thought it should be here as well as it is sound advice.

Quote:These things didn't happen to me personally, this is something that occurred to 1) a good friend of mine and 2) In a co-workers rural neighborhood (a stretch of county highway and some gravel roads where about a half dozen neighbors that have all known each other for a couple generations reside).

My friend is an avid arrow head hunter, he posts many videos on youtube of his finds. His account name is gramps something or other, I think. Anyway, that's not important.

He didn't used to carry anything but a walking stick and a knife, till one day a pack of dogs treed him. He was walking in the creek several miles from the truck and he looked up to see a dog at the top of the bank, which was a vertical incline of about 15 feet or so. He said "Hey there, buddy", to which the dog responded with peeled back lips to display his teeth, and one of those Hollywood sound effect "Wolf about to eat a guy's face" growls.

The dog took off down the bank, looking for a place to get down into the creek, and at that point my friend saw the half dozen other dogs, from coon hounds to beagles to unidentifiable muts, following the first. The bank on the opposite side was not so steep and before they got in the creek he was up the opposite bank and into a tree that happened to have some low hanging branches.

He spent a while in that tree while those dogs parked and bayed at him, with no cell phone signal. And then he spent another indeterminable amount of time after they left still in that tree, before making an extremely nerve racking trek back to his truck.

After that, he carried a .22 automatic pistol.

Then one day, he rounded a bend, eyes down scanning a rock bar for points, and looked up to lock eyes with an equally surprised mountain lion about 25 yards away. They both backed slowly away and the lion disappeared into the brush and he beat feet back to his truck.

Now he carries a .45 automatic pistol.

I don't expect to ever have any problems with a lion, they just aren't the type to screw around with two-leggers. But dogs.. they can be a problem.

Which is a nice segue into my other story:

Out in the country where my co-worker lives, somebody dumped a big white pit-bull. They didn't dump it because it was a nice dog. It almost caught a woman walking from her front door to her car, but she managed to get in the car. She started making calls, warning people in the area because the kids were starting to get home on the school bus. Two other people barely made it in their house. And this was not a dog running up to people like "Hey there's people, I want to see what the people are doing" this bastard was like, full on Kujo. Not normal. Throwing himself into doors, growling, frothy mouthed, the whole bit.

The last guy to get chased, he was staying in a small camper-trailer in a friends yard - he came out of the trailer to go to the house and barely made it inside. He'd left the door to the camper open, and after the dog couldn't get in the house door, it went in the trailer. This guy, admittedly ballsier than me, ran out there and slammed the camper door shut. I guess this dog went completely nuts, just tearing up the inside, slamming into the windows, completely insane. About that time his buddy got home with another friend and they hooked the trailer to the truck, and since they had a rifle and a shotgun in the truck they hauled it out in a field and readied an ambush. One guy stood about 20 yards from the trailer, one stood in the back of the truck, and the other got the door.

When that door opened, that dog came out of there like hell's fury, and made a b-line for the guy in the field. They put four rounds of turkey loads and two thirty caliber bullets into it before it was done, and everybody needed new clean underwear.

No, I don't think paratroopers from Cuba are going to parachute into rural Missouri and take over the place like Red Dawn or something, but there ARE good reasons to carry a firearm (or two) when you're out in the woods. It's not all about criminals and foreign invaders.

Although, there IS the chance of running across a meth lab (and meth cookers) in remote areas.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
[Image: 14657581438_877331cc27_b.jpg]

My brother and his son had a similar experience recently. A rabid raccoon was getting into their hen house. It took several 12g turkey load shots and didn't go down. It took several 12b 00 buck and 9mm and didn't go down. It finally took a 9mm to the head to put it down. My brother said he counted 12 different wound channels in this thing before it was stopped.

That is the toughest raccoon in history.
(07-10-2015, 06:40 PM)Ronin.45 Wrote: That is the toughest raccoon in history.

The story he told me was hilarious Big Grin

Quote:In a small town in Georgia, 65 year old Sherry Schweder was taking an evening walk last Friday when she was apparently attacked by a pack of feral dogs. Lothar Schweder, her 77 year old husband, found her lying on the ground when he had set off to find her after she failed to return home. He immediately sprung into action to protect his wife from the unruly canines, but, sadly, also succumbed to them as well.

The following morning, authorities and paramedics found the feral dogs still standing guard over their ‘kill’.

Even though there were no witnesses to the murders, local authorities did pick up 16 feral dogs whom they believe to have been involved in the mauling of Mr and Mrs Schweder.

A spokesman for the Humane Society of the United States, Adam Goldfarb, stated that such a dog killing was so rare, in fact, that “you are more likely to killed by a bolt of lightning than by a dog.”

Ironically, Mrs Schweder was always concerned about the welfare of the small pack of mixed breed dogs that were often seen wandering around the neighborhood.

It is believed that a few of the medium-sized dogs were abandoned at the residence of Howard Thaxton, who was forced to move due to health issues. However, neighbors have told the police that Thaxton was driven to his old house in order to leave food out for all the dogs on a regular basis. The dogs have since multiplied amongst themselves and become more feral with time.

According to Capt. Shalon Huff of the Oglethorpe County Sheriff’s Department, Thaxton has insisted that the dogs had never shown any sign of aggression to him or to anyone else and he therefore believed that the dogs did not kill the elderly couple.

However, Goldfarb offers a different perspective:

“Sometimes the pack mentality can play a role. One dog gets aroused and that revs up his buddies.”

Animal Control officers claimed that the pack of feral dogs had shown aggression towards them whilst they were attempting to round them all up. The officers eventually resorted to using tranquilizer guns and humane traps to catch the dogs, explained Capt. Huff, who continued to add that a smaller group of the dogs actually cornered two officers against a vehicle.

Thankfully, none of the dogs showed any sign of having Rabies.

Police officials have concluded that Mrs Schweder had perhaps gone out for her evening walk on Friday, staying close to her home, in an attempt to look for one of her own dogs who had gone missing a month ago.

It was during this walk that Mrs Schweder was attacked, with the preliminary autopsy report stating that she had died as a result of animal bites inflicted by the dogs.

It is then believed that Mr Schweder went in search of his wife in his car after she failed to return home promptly. Mr Schweder found his wife’s body and had attempted to use his cell phone to call for help before he too was attacked by the dogs. James Mathews, the Madison County Coroner, also stated that Mr Schweder had died from injuries that he had sustained through multiple animal bite wounds.

On Saturday morning, the couple was discovered by a group of Jehovah’s Witnesses who were walking in the same area and immediately called police.

The police arrived to discover several shoe prints, signs of a scuffle and a multitude of paw prints in the mud...

I'd rather have it and not need it than the opposite.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
How To Survive A Feral Dog Attack

Quote:My dogs in the fenced-in backyard were raising a ruckus around 10:30 tonight, so I got up and turned on the outside flood lights and looked towards the barn about 50 yards behind the house. The motion sensor light was on at my shed next to the barn so I grabbed a 12 gauge and went to investigate.

When I got about halfway there I saw that a pack of feral dogs was trying to get into my animals penned up behind the barn (goats and pigs), and I also discovered that the batteries in my weapon's light were very weak, almost to the point of being useless. So there I was, in the dark surrounded by an unknown number of feral dogs, with a failing light, wearing my PJs and holding a shotgun. The dog pack was too engrossed with trying to get into the pen to notice me until I was about 30 yards away and "jacked" a round into the chamber as soon as I realized what was going on. When I loaded the shell, one of them paused in the edge of the circle of light from the shed long enough for me to get off a shot at it and score a hit at the shadowy figure. The rest of the pack faded back into the shadows of an old 3/4 fenced in dog pen about a 1/4 acre square and full of trees, effectively cornering themselves but nearly invisible to me with my weak flashlight. I moved in close because my light was so weak and I needed to hit running targets in the dark among the trees.

I shot four times total and ended up killing one and wounding at least two others as they ran at and by me to get out of the old partially fenced in pen. I mentally kicked myself for not changing batteries before this incident and left in pursuit of them as my wife yelled for me from the house to see if I was alright and to let me know that one dog had made it to the yard and died and the other one with it had run off. I saw it run off and could tell it was wounded. Hopefully it will die before it can attack another animal or a person (this pack may be the same ones who attacked one of the dogs of our nearest neighbor not too long ago).

I checked my pigs and goats and they were scared and hiding back in the pen and wouldn't come up to the barn without some coaxing and food, but all were alright and their fence was not breached. Oh yeah, as soon as it was over I changed out the batteries in my weapon's light.

It never ceases to amaze me when a hiker or camper is killed by wildlife. In my mind, a normal accessory for either activity is a gun. You are knowingly going into the territory of dangerous predators. Whether you live in bear/lion areas or just dog/people areas, there is a chance of a violent encounter.
Last year one of my nieces was asking my advice on firearms for home defense.  I have two instructor certifications and have taught firearms for my agency for decades.  She wasn't sure whether or not they should have one in the home.  I simply asked if she and/or her husband woke up at 2am to glass breaking or someone kicking in the back door....what's your plan?  There was silence on the other end of the phone indicating they didn't have a plan.  I figure the 'plan' should be arrived at when you're not in danger, not under duress and can make a calm, rational decision.  2am isn't the time to be making that decision.

As they say, you don't read a book on how to swim when the boat is sinking.

So my same question would go to anyone going out into the woods, 'if you should happen upon a rabid animal or predator (2 or 4 legged)...what's the plan?  That's a fair question to consider.

Very well put.
About 10 years ago on my property in northern Michigan I walked back to the food plot to check it one time and turning the corner of the trail ran smack into a black bear and her cub coming the other way. And I mean 5 feet away. Fortunately the cub turned around and scrambled the other way as did it's mother. I of course was backing up the trail with my pistol drawn. Pretty surprising encounter. Haven't seen a bear on the property since.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation The Armed Citizen David 40 15,683 07-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Last Post: David
  Woods carry: .40 S&W or .357sig? David 26 1,241 06-12-2018, 01:33 AM
Last Post: David
Thumbs Up Armed citizens defending themselves David 4 2,471 08-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Last Post: kirgi08