Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Score!
Shot a big spike horn this morning about 7:15. Just a spike but it is a mature deer with bad genes. Don't think his rack was going to get much bigger. I believe he was the one on the trail camera with the long spikes. Photo will follow as soon as I can figure out how to send it from my phone.
Congrats. Filling the freezer and cleaning up the gene pool is a double score.
Nice, been getting different reports from co-workers, most have been successful.
I am sitting in my blind as I write this, waiting for the big one to walk by.

It was cold ( in the teens) opening morning (thurs) but has stayed right around 30 since. We also got 4" of snow for opening day.

I got my deer on Friday morning around 7:15.  Tagged him with my Marlin 44 mag at about 75 yards. He ran about 50 yards into the swamp before dying. Same spot as the year before and most other years. It's a good spot.

That Marlin is a handy little rifle for carrying around. I like it a lot. Third year in a row with the 44 mag out of a rifle. Past 2 have been with my Ruger 44 carbine.

Been hunting with my three brothers and my son. All but one brother are going home today. We'll stay and go home tomorrow to avoid the weekend rush.
Here's the photos.

I'm home but stopped at the DNR check station on the way home. They aged my deer at 2.5 yrs. That's the same age as the 6 pt I got last year. I think this deer was a bit bigger however. The tines are 10 & 11" long.

[Image: 5GyVzmp.jpg]

[Image: ZxkwndV.jpg]

And the view from my blind. The red line indicates the path of the deer from right to left. Red spot is where I nailed him, about 65 yards out. It is virtually the same spot I shot my deer last year. He then ran down the point straight away from me into the swamp on the right.

[Image: 3fY20Z1.jpg]
What load are you using?
(11-22-2018, 01:35 AM)justsaymo Wrote: What load are you using?

I was using Hornady (not their XTP) 240 gr JHP behind 24.4 grs of 296/H110.  I was averaging 1750 FPS out of the 16" bbl.

A write up of the loads/sighting in is here.

http://sepboard.us/showthread.php?tid=1552
Thank you. I'll check it out.

That bullet shot very well over a max dose of 2400 in my 1894 as well. I think I was getting about 1600 fps with it.

Did you get a pass through?

A friend used a very similar load to yours on a Blacktail Deer and he found it just inside the ribs perfectly expanded. He used a revolver and I think he said he was getting 1300-1400 fps.

Thanks again for the report!
(11-22-2018, 07:36 PM)justsaymo Wrote: Thank you. I'll check it out.

That bullet shot very well over a max dose of 2400 in my 1894 as well. I think I was getting about 1600 fps with it.

Did you get a pass through?

A friend used a very similar load to yours on a Blacktail Deer and he found it just inside the ribs perfectly expanded. He used a revolver and I think he said he was getting 1300-1400 fps.

Thanks again for the report!

The bullet entered the left side just behind and below the left shoulder low in the chest cavity. The deer was quartering toward me facing somewhat uphill. (his front was higher than his rear) The bullet went through longitudinally,  eviscerated the liver and ended up in the abdomen.  There was some damage on the ribs just in front of the right hip but no exit. I lost the bullet when I field dressed the deer.