40%
50%
60%
70%
80%
90%
100%
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level of preparedness - 72hr
Question 
At what level of preparedness are you for an event that lasts up to 72 hours?  For this question we'll assume that you are able to remain in a bug-in situation.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
In a fairly civilized situation I believe I could say 20%. I think that's a fair rating for knowledge, assets and resources in a 72 hour period. Which in my opinion is still better than average.
I am low on long term food. I am putting the final touches on my bug out location and it has everything but food stores.
I feel we're in the 100% category for a 72 hour scenario in which we can stay put.  On hand I could have over 300 gallons of immediate drinking water plus multiple ways to disinfect.  Plenty to use for hygiene purposes as well.  For a 72 hour scenario I wouldn't even need to break into long term food stores.  We've got weeks just in the pantry.  Plenty of ways for lighting and such.

I totally mis-read this thread. 

For a 72 hour outage I am 100% prepped - not 10%. I can handle about 2 weeks at my home and a little longer at my BOL.
My garage pantry has enough for 72 hours.

I have 15000 gallons of water which is about 72 months….assuming the Pool Shock holds out.

I THINK I can get by 72 hours with my Maxpedition Jumbo….
Just as a reminder, a case of MRE's will last way more than 72. The determining factor is water. A five gallon glass carboy will hold water indefinitely if it is properly sterilized and filled with pure water.

Storing water in PET (plastic) jugs works for a short term but the water will take a petrochemical taste if it is left out in the sun or left in storage too long - I learned this playing in the sandbox for Uncle Sam. Now I keep a 1/2 case of water bottles in the trunk of my car and rotate it out every month. I have missed a month once in a while and after 2 months in a Georgia summer the water bottles will start to taste a little like plastic.
As it is hurricane season here in Florida I am well prepared for more than 72 hours. Food, water, repairs, lighting and medical in good shape. I only voted 70% because my self defense area has been somewhat depleted (financial problems). I am usually in good shape year round and use hurricane season to replenish and rotate my supplies.
(08-16-2015, 04:04 PM)Tsquare Wrote: Just as a reminder, a case of MRE's will last way more than 72. The determining factor is water. A five gallon glass carboy will hold water indefinitely if it is properly sterilized and filled with pure water.

Storing water in PET (plastic) jugs works for a short term but the water will take a petrochemical taste if it is left out in the sun or left in storage too long - I learned this playing in the sandbox for Uncle Sam. Now I keep a 1/2 case of water bottles in the trunk of my car and rotate it out every month. I have missed a month once in a while and after 2 months in a Georgia summer the water bottles will start to taste a little like plastic.

+1 on the MRE's for the short term.  I've found that that Army/Navy stores in our area charge way too much for a single MRE ($12+) and usually part them out.  But Ebay has had some amazing deals and I'm normally ordering by the case and get them for around $4 each.  And current, in-date ones.  My son and I use them a lot when we go camping.

I agree on the leeching of plastic into the water (and other chemicals).  As a habit, we don't drink any water out of those plastic bottles if they've been left in the car.  In my GHB I have both glass and metal containers filled with water.  The glass is cushioned so I'm not worried about breakage.  I'll dump the water every so often and do a cleanse and refill.  And I also have life straws and iodine in each GHB as well as the life straws I carry in my EDC.

We get meals rejected by everyone at between $2.50 and $3.50 for the "better" ones.We got mres,we keep the cool as we can.The cooler the longer.I can't believe that folks are buying at those prices.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Financial Preparedness / Next Recession Bob 3 94 08-26-2019, 01:10 PM
Last Post: mac66
Question Your advice to someone new to emergency preparedness and/or self reliance David 35 23,820 07-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Last Post: bmyers
Question Level of preparation - 90 days David 10 4,233 09-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Level of preparedness - SHTF/WROL/TEOTWAWTI David 13 7,039 09-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  Wild Fires and Preparedness Bob 7 2,991 05-02-2017, 02:22 AM
  Level of preparedness - 30 days David 24 13,092 09-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Last Post: David
  Survival and Preparedness 2016 JRSC 4 3,135 01-06-2016, 05:16 AM
  Preparedness and Thanksgiving. Bob 5 2,936 11-28-2015, 12:51 AM