Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your arse Alive
[Image: 51QhXymQ11L._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your arse Alive

I thought I'd reviewed this book here before, but I guess it was the old SRI forum. In my opinion, this is a MUST READ for anyone serious about prepping, survival and/or self reliance. It delves not just into the gear and kit, but all the reasons why including avoiding a survival situation, mitigating it if you do find yourself in it and the psychology of survival.

Filled with excellent illustrations that grab your attention and written in a style that is humorous and series at the same time. It is evident that Cody walks the walk. I've designed my own EDC/GHB around what Cody has offered in the book.

Written in 2004, the bulk of it is still highly relevant 11 years later and will be relevant 111 years later. Only issue I would have is the lighting section which is a bit dated. Cody advocates for a light that is simple and which have batteries that are easily obtainable. That's good advice. But in 2004, the Mini-Maglite was still a pretty good light (with incandescent bulb). This is no longer the case. I'd like to see him update this information. As an example of what I'm talking about, a 2xAA Mini-Maglite will give you around 5 hours of useable light if you're using alkaline batteries. And it puts out about 14 lumens. Since that time, LED lights have left this in the dust. A CREE LED light will last 100,000 hours before the LED burns out which is a far cry from the maybe 25 hours on the little incandescent bulb. Furthermore, run times have been dramatically increased. Here is an example of some single AA and AAA lights:

Run times for AA/AAA lights

The Acebeam L10 is just about my favorite single AA light. You'll notice that the low is 10 lumens (you won't notice a difference between 10 and 14 lumens) and will last from 30 to more than 43 hours on an Eneloop rechargeable battery. And you have the option of flrefly (143 hours runtime) or 120 lumens when you really need bright light.

But that doesn't take away from teh rest of the book. As I stated, IMHO it is a must read and I suggest it highly. I purchased it first in paperback and then got the Kindle version so I can take it anywhere easily.

Good stuff  Smile
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.