Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pepper spray
I'm an O.C. instructor since 1994 (actually called A.S.R. for Aerosol Subject Restraint).  For a lot of my career I carried spray and used it on a number of occasions.  Most of time it was quite successful, in fact every time I personally used spray it was successful.  I have seen on the rare occasion where it was not successful.  

I've carried O.C. spray off-duty one and off over the years.  I decided to go ahead and order three on Amazon from Sabre which is one of the companies I have some trust with.  I ordered the 3-in-1 spray which is O.C. (pepper spray), C.S. (mace) and U.V. marker dye.  I've tested this type of formula on willing subjects and the effect was dramatic and effective.  This one has a range of about 10 feet with 35 bursts.

SABRE 3-IN-1 Pepper Spray

This of course provides a non-lethal force option which is always a bonus.  It should be occasionally shaken as the pepper contents can somewhat settle over time.  Normal carry with picking up, walking around and putting down goes a long way towards keeping the solution mixed.  The contents stay good pretty much indefinitely but eventually the 0-ring will leak out the propellant.  Probable a good idea to replace every couple of years.  Seems like the prices are coming down where you can do so pretty easily.  

I like the clip so that it is easily carried in the pocket.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Pepper spray has a spot on my person usually, Sabre is my favorite supplier for spray with O.C.
Pepper spray is not fun... from a guy that got sprayed heavily along with the bad guy.
I tackled a guy years ago only to discover that my partner can emptied his can of O.C. on the guy.  It wasn't fun!

When I became an instructor I had to get sprayed.  It sucked to the nth degree.  Here's a tip guys...if you get zapped with O.C. and then hours later get in the shower and the water runs down to your more sensitive areas...yeah, guess what's going to happen.  And yeah, I know this from personal experience.  And yeah, it's just like you'd imagine it to be!

Big Grin
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
lol, happened to me as well. SUX
I have always been torn on pepper spray. For people who can't carry a firearm, it's a good option. For civilians carrying a gun, it is a possible deadly delay.
We all know that defensive engagements happen fast. You need to be able to respond immediately. Adding a variable may slow your response enough to cost you dearly. As civilians we don't have escalation of force requirements. If you are in fear for your safety or life, the best solution is the gun. If you aren't in fear for those, the best response is leaving. Even if a situation is borderline, the deterrent factor of the gun is probably as effective or more than pepper spray.