Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considering a rifle...
Question 
I currently have several handguns and my 12g Mossberg 500P as well as a couple of Marlin M60's in 22LR.  I am considering getting a rifle to augment what I already have.  Now to be clear, I've got two instructor certifications for handguns and I'm a SG instructor.  But other than the .22 rifles I don't think I've shot a rifle since the military (M16) and that was back in the 80's.  And believe it or not, I've also used the M1 Garand.  We have rifles at work, but we don't use them in my Bureau as our primary is the 12g Remington 870. 

So I'm not sure what I'd like to get.  My brother has an AK47 that he speaks highly of and he gets a fair bit of use with it being way out in the country (rabid and nuisance animals).  An AR15 is an option I'm considering as well.  I also like the look of that VZ 2008 that I've seen online.  But I'm not married to anything in particular at the moment and I'm keeping my options open.  I'm not looking to break the bank and I don't need a gee-whiz-tacticool model.  Something reliable would be fine without all the frills. 

So if you've got something you'd like to toss out I'm all ears.  Thanks Smile
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I would also like to add that I'd like something that has easily available ammo that can be purchased at good/reasonable prices.  Thanks.

Look into a Savage 308. Good for hunting and protection.
You can't go wrong with an AR. Ergonomics and accuracy are head and shoulders above the AK and ammo is much more plentiful in this country. A good AR will be just as reliable as an AK too. Softer shooting, better trigger, easier optic and accessory mounting, mags swap without clumsy rock-in bs, infinitely customizable. The VZ is a step up from an AK in my book, but it uses proprietary mags and parts that are much less common than AK or AR.
I saw the commentary on the Hi-Point Carbine in the other thread and it got me curious.  I've been looking at prices and reviews online this morning and I'm impressed.  Specifically, I'm looking at the 995 (9mm) and the 4095 (.40) since I have both calibers in handguns.  And it's looking like I could get each for about the price of an entry level AR or AK (give or take). 

Saw an online YT review and the ballistics going from a 4 inch barrel to a 16 inch barrel was respectable. 

AR15

FN/FAL

Mosin m44

I'm partial to the Ruger 10/22,it's the AR of the .22 world.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I appreciate everyone's suggestions.  I stopped by a local gun shop that I've used before to inquire about the Hi-Point carbines.  As it turns out, one of our largest P.D.'s in this area uses them as their carbines so that gave me a sense of confidence, that and the online reviews I've researched.  So I ended up purchasing two of them.  The first is the 995 in 9mm and the other is the 4095 in .40 S&W.  Total came to $598 so the wallet was pleased.  I should be picking them up next week. 

I think I'll like them.

The mag bases crack.'08.

(08-06-2015, 10:52 PM)kirgi08 Wrote: The mag bases crack.'08.

Personal experience or something you've seen in a review?

Personal Dave,I had 1 of the 1st ones in this area.A full load/over time will break them,they may have changed/design this was a long time ago.A basic gen 1 carbine,It was reliable and accurate.I can't allow for design flaws,after the house fire I never replaced it.It was a fun weapon,It'd cycle subs and corbon +p+ all day.'08.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Added a few things to the wife's rifle bmyers 4 309 01-23-2018, 12:07 AM
Last Post: bmyers
Video .22 rifle for home defense? David 11 975 12-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Last Post: David
  This is a pack rifle Ronin.45 8 2,232 01-13-2017, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Cougar90
  DIY integrated rifle sling for a plate carrier jayclimber 1 795 10-26-2016, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Ronin.45
Thumbs Up .22 Survival rifle (using the Marlin 795 as example) David 32 8,109 09-03-2016, 11:35 AM
  HD shotgun/rifle David 16 3,546 08-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Gene
  Interesting Vintage Rifle mac66 6 1,523 06-27-2016, 05:41 PM
Last Post: mac66
  .22/.410 'survival' rifle David 7 3,265 09-29-2015, 01:49 PM
  Getting my "tactical" rifle all set up Ronin.45 3 1,453 09-19-2015, 04:38 AM
  New Defense/Competition/Hunting rifle Ronin.45 2 1,658 08-31-2015, 06:32 PM