Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semi-auto pistol vs. revolver
A 5 shot snubby is still more than adequate for carry. I go with a pocket 9 more for size than capacity. I'm only gaining one round in my 43. As I've said before, proficiency trumps capacity.
(09-14-2018, 01:58 AM)Ronin.45 Wrote:  proficiency trumps capacity.

This!  

That is why I carry the Glock 37. Next to my 1911 9mm Govt model the G37 is the gun I am most proficient with. The 1911 is a little heavy for a carry piece and it has the same round count of the G37. The bonus of the G37 being a 45 helps.
I agree that shot placement is paramount.  And as I've mentioned earlier, I've carried a 5-shot snubbie and generally felt fine with it.  Having said that, a 5-shot snubbie is limited and only useful in some incidents.  For example, a one-on-one incident where the average of 2-3 shots is sufficient is ideal for the snubbie.  But what if there are two or more attackers?  Providing that a good guy has the time/distance to engage multiple threats a 5-shot is going to be stretched thin pretty quickly.  Whereas something like a Glock 26 has two or even three times the capacity.  Even a stock G42/43 has nearly 50% more ammunition immediately available.  When I had the G43 I carried with a +2 for a total 9 rounds or nearly double the snubbies I use to carry but the overall platform was the same size but thinner.  Same with the G42 I have now, it has a +2 for a total of 9 rounds immediately available.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I love my G19 with my 15rd. magazines, I am surgical with it and love the capacity of rds. held.
(09-14-2018, 02:38 PM)David Wrote: I agree that shot placement is paramount.  And as I've mentioned earlier, I've carried a 5-shot snubbie and generally felt fine with it.  Having said that, a 5-shot snubbie is limited and only useful in some incidents.  For example, a one-on-one incident where the average of 2-3 shots is sufficient is ideal for the snubbie.  But what if there are two or more attackers?  Providing that a good guy has the time/distance to engage multiple threats a 5-shot is going to be stretched thin pretty quickly.  Whereas something like a Glock 26 has two or even three times the capacity.  Even a stock G42/43 has nearly 50% more ammunition immediately available.  When I had the G43 I carried with a +2 for a total 9 rounds or nearly double the snubbies I use to carry but the overall platform was the same size but thinner.  Same with the G42 I have now, it has a +2 for a total of 9 rounds immediately available.

These are things I don't even waste energy thinking about. Getting attacked is highly unlikely. Getting attacked by a group is even less so. The group members hanging around after initial shots is so unlikely as to be a statistical anomaly. Five rounds is more than enough for civilian self defense in 99.9% of all situations. Even 3 determined attackers at mugging distance should be within snubby capabilities.
Planning for the 0.1% of 0.1% defensive scenarios is like taking bear spray when you go surfing.
(09-14-2018, 09:49 PM)Ronin.45 Wrote:
(09-14-2018, 02:38 PM)David Wrote: I agree that shot placement is paramount.  And as I've mentioned earlier, I've carried a 5-shot snubbie and generally felt fine with it.  Having said that, a 5-shot snubbie is limited and only useful in some incidents.  For example, a one-on-one incident where the average of 2-3 shots is sufficient is ideal for the snubbie.  But what if there are two or more attackers?  Providing that a good guy has the time/distance to engage multiple threats a 5-shot is going to be stretched thin pretty quickly.  Whereas something like a Glock 26 has two or even three times the capacity.  Even a stock G42/43 has nearly 50% more ammunition immediately available.  When I had the G43 I carried with a +2 for a total 9 rounds or nearly double the snubbies I use to carry but the overall platform was the same size but thinner.  Same with the G42 I have now, it has a +2 for a total of 9 rounds immediately available.

These are things I don't even waste energy thinking about. Getting attacked is highly unlikely. Getting attacked by a group is even less so. The group members hanging around after initial shots is so unlikely as to be a statistical anomaly. Five rounds is more than enough for civilian self defense in 99.9% of all situations. Even 3 determined attackers at mugging distance should be within snubby capabilities.
Planning for the 0.1% of 0.1% defensive scenarios is like taking bear spray when you go surfing.

Except why carry a 5 shot revolver with when a small flat semi with 7-12 rounds is just as light and easier to carry/conceal? I love my revolvers but a semi is a better carry option in every way.
(09-16-2018, 12:27 AM)mac66 Wrote:
(09-14-2018, 09:49 PM)Ronin.45 Wrote:

Except why carry a 5 shot revolver with when a small flat semi with 7-12 rounds is just as light and easier to carry/conceal? I love my revolvers but a semi is a better carry option in every way.

I said the same thing in an earlier post. The auto is the better choice nowadays because it's actually smaller. The capacity isn't really a consideration for me. I only get one extra round anyway.
With the direction of this thread is going that would mean that tis is the ultimate carry piece:
[Image: derringer-400x209.jpg]
(09-16-2018, 08:12 PM)Tsquare Wrote: With the direction of this thread is going that would mean that tis is the ultimate carry piece:
[Image: derringer-400x209.jpg]

Where does the magazine go?   Big Grin
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
As always - they all work better than most of their users.

And I agree with Ronin. The need for more than 3 shots probably starts dropping precipitously. The need for 15 is more a function of you can't shoot. I believe that police data shows as mag size went up, so did shots fired, and hits dropped (<= I have no citation on that - could be totally wrong)

I have seen a lot of guys at the range with 15+ round Glocks, that as a criminal, I'd feel pretty ok attacking them with a knife....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Pistol Caliber Carbine Thread Bob 41 1,299 10-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  AR Pistol Build Bob 8 643 01-28-2018, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Bob
  300 Blackout AR Pistol Update. TN.Frank 0 280 01-19-2018, 03:07 PM
Last Post: TN.Frank
Thumbs Up Pocket pistol range report David 9 1,254 12-25-2017, 01:45 PM
Last Post: David
  Revolver for prepping? David 10 1,103 12-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Ronin.45
Video Speed Strips vs. Speed Loaders (Revolver Reloading) David 4 569 12-08-2017, 12:19 PM
  Florida concealed pistol permit? mac66 1 328 12-04-2017, 01:31 AM
  More 300 Blackout AR Pistol Shooting. TN.Frank 0 279 11-23-2017, 12:10 AM
  8.5" 300 Blackout AR Pistol Build. TN.Frank 5 614 11-17-2017, 03:48 PM
  Doing some mods to my AR Pistol. TN.Frank 0 453 11-02-2017, 06:18 PM