Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semi-auto pistol vs. revolver
Well I'm sure this type of thread has never been done before... Wink

Actually I thought it would be interesting to look at the merits of both of them.  Pros and cons of each.  Where one is superior to the other.  Tim at the MAC has posted an interesting video that's worth tossing into the mix:

I actually like a good revolver.  I 'grew up' on them.  I've mentioned before that for the first 11 years I carried a S&W Model 64 .38 Special.  My first personal gun was a Taurus Model 669VR .357 magnum.  Wasn't the best choice I could have made but I only knew what I knew back then.  Not because the Taurus was a bad revolver, actually it shot just fine and was a good looking gun.  But a full size .357 for a carry/HD wasn't my best choice.  I'd hate to have to touch off a .357 indoors without hearing protection.  But the point is that I like a good revolver.  

About 8 years ago I went totally with revolver for carry.  I alternated between a S&W 640 and 642.  Carried .38 Special in both (don't remember what round).  Actually felt pretty comfortable with those as my carry choices.  And I'd still probably have no issue with carrying either.  Not that I have either anymore of course.  But I think it's a wiser choice, for me personally, to carry a G26 which (with the Xgrip and a G19 magazine) has just slightly more than triple the capacity in a package that isn't all that much larger than the S&W 640.  I didn't watch the following video all the way through, but post it simply for the size comparison of a J-frame snubbie against the G26.

But I eventually went back to the semi-auto pistol.  My reasoning, like many, was why have 5 rounds when I could have double or even triple in a similar sized package.  For me it was the smart move.  As much as I like revolvers, they are sorta outdated when it comes to personal protection.  Not that they can't be effective.  They can be quite effective.  Simply that they are by their nature limited in areas like capacity and thickness.

Now in areas where neither of those are a consideration i.e. hunting for example, the revolver has a definite place.  And as a snake gun I'd go with a revolver well before a pistol.  Guy over on GT that I was talking with has a job that puts him out in the wilds quite a bit.  He carries a snubbie .38 loaded with snake shot and has used it on occasion quite successfully.  Good choice.  

Pocket gun is a niche for a good light weight revolver as well.  Though I'd prefer a DA semi with thumb safety like the LC9.  

Just some ramblings to start of a discussion.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I bought a Taurus 82, 38spl on a really good deal intending to take it with me backpacking for an anti snake gun. Man, that thing had one of the stiffest triggers I have ever felt. It also kicked badly and had a very strangely shaped grip. Thus, it hurt to shoot. Not fun. It was certainly reliable, cheap and light to carry. Just not a fun experience to shoot
What year did you have the 82? I had one in the early 90's and that was actually a very good shooter. Not quite as smooth as a S&W but not bad for the price. Would make a good snake gun. I did have a 7-shot Taurus 66 that became very stiff to shoot though. Too bad, it was a great looking revolver.

I love revolvers, especially pre-lock Smith's, but in most ways a semi is a better choice nowadays. The pocket 9s have really pushed the snubbies out of contention. You can get more rounds with more power in a smaller package. As MACs video shows, there's no reason to even go 357 out of a short barrel. All you're gaining is recoil and muzzle blast.
My brothers' EDC is a Taurus Judge.  He loves it and has used it on multiple occasions for critter control.  He loads it with #4 shot as well as some deer slugs.  He is also quite handy with making wax slugs.

Snakes and pests are the one area a revolver still has merit. Most semis won't cycle shot loads at all.
I'd much rather have a nice J or K frame with rat shot over a Judge though. Never cared for the big, ugly things.
Got curious on the Judge (Public Defender).

I am not a fan of the Judge. I have a buddy that carries one. I have shot it and I just don't care for it. Not for me.

I don't think I could own a 38 Special. I would like to have a 357 Magnum again. When I did have the 357 I shot mostly loads that were right in line with the velocities of what I shoot 9mm. I like the idea of a stronger frame and cylinder.

I can see a revolver better as a carry piece. Clearing a malfunction in a semi-auto is a drill I have to practice. With a revolver it's just pulling the trigger again. Then there are the statistics that are out there that most confrontations result in only 1 shot. But my EDC is the full size Glock 37.
Why carry a 5 or 6 shot revolver when you can carry a 7-12 shot semi with a load that matches or exceeds most revolver loads? I carried a 5 shot Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 spl as a back up to my on duty Model 29 44 mag back in the day. While I still have a 38 spl snubby, the 44 Bulldog is about the only snubby I would carry. Having said that, a 9 mm pocket auto has more advantages than disadvantages these days.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Pistol Caliber Carbine Thread Bob 31 955 08-10-2018, 10:04 PM
Last Post: David
  AR Pistol Build Bob 8 557 01-28-2018, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Bob
  300 Blackout AR Pistol Update. TN.Frank 0 259 01-19-2018, 03:07 PM
Last Post: TN.Frank
Thumbs Up Pocket pistol range report David 9 1,116 12-25-2017, 01:45 PM
  Revolver for prepping? David 10 962 12-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Ronin.45
Video Speed Strips vs. Speed Loaders (Revolver Reloading) David 4 531 12-08-2017, 12:19 PM
  Florida concealed pistol permit? mac66 1 300 12-04-2017, 01:31 AM
  More 300 Blackout AR Pistol Shooting. TN.Frank 0 259 11-23-2017, 12:10 AM
  8.5" 300 Blackout AR Pistol Build. TN.Frank 5 549 11-17-2017, 03:48 PM
  Doing some mods to my AR Pistol. TN.Frank 0 427 11-02-2017, 06:18 PM