Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alcohol & Prepping
Tobacco, Alcohol, Sweets, and Coffee.

1. tobacco. It will go bad so it is not advisable to store a large quantity and forget about it.
2. alcohol. Wine is heat sensitive and will go bad when exposed to heat. Whisky/bourbon/rhum/vodka are not heat sensitive. Beer will go bad after a few months.
3. sweets. Essentially, candy is flavored sugar. Buy a few large bags of hard candies and put them away. Some are vacuum packed. I have about 40 pounds stored in the garage - and it doesn't go bad.
4. coffee - will go bad. Tea comes in different forms. Some is in sealed packs. I haven't had it go bad, yet.
If you want to prep for coffee go with freeze dried instant coffee (Folgers). It has a shelf life of 20 years in a pantry and is indefinite if stored in a freezer.
(09-26-2018, 10:56 PM)Tsquare Wrote: If you want to prep for coffee go with freeze dried instant coffee (Folgers). It has a shelf life of 20 years in a pantry and is indefinite if stored in a freezer.

I don't drink coffee and I think that it is a great idea.

My comment is directed towards freezers. 

We had an earthquake and the power cut before sunrise for the entire population of millions and would be off for hours.  My neighbor came outside and boasted that he was on a freezer plan (buy meat in bulk) and had plenty of food.  Good.  I asked when the barbecue would be for the neighborhood because after about three days the food would be rotten.

My dad lived in Mississippi.  He had two food freezers in the garage.  After he complained about cleaning out his sister-in-law's rotting freezer after the power was out for a few days after a tornado, I asked why he didn't have a generator to protect his stash.  Later, he lost both freezers after a tornado went through.

The problem with refrigeration and freezers is that they may not be available when shtf.  Of course, i store medications.  However, I fully understand that when shtf, it is going to be a problem.
(09-27-2018, 01:49 PM)bdcochran Wrote: The problem with refrigeration and freezers is that they may not be available when shtf.  Of course, i store medications.  However, I fully understand that when shtf, it is going to be a problem.

Yes... got to keep the freezers going till you use up the goods in it.

Generators the only option.  Got mine tested to need a min of 2hrs per day to keep all frozen ( morning/ night )... I keep enough fuel on hand to just about make a month at this rate.  By then I won't need them anyway as for my family they will be empty

As to meds, pill form ok to store, liquids last a while but any one that needs refrigerated drugs like insulin in going to be hurting after a month plus
Smoke/salt the meat.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(09-26-2018, 10:56 PM)Tsquare Wrote: If you want to prep for coffee go with freeze dried instant coffee (Folgers). It has a shelf life of 20 years in a pantry and is indefinite if stored in a freezer.

In some countries all they drink is instant coffee. Peru for example grows some of the best coffee beans but they pretty much serve instant wherever you go.

I bought a case of instant coffee a few years ago and drink it when camping or hunting at the cabin by myself. I carry instant coffee in all may BOBs,  packs and luggage.  I'm not addicted to coffee but I sure miss it if I don't have any during the day.
I have been known to snort Folgers crystals in an emergency.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up What have you done this week to forward your 2018 prepping goals? David 59 9,965 12-06-2018, 02:44 PM
Last Post: David
  Thrift Stores, Antique Stores, and prepping Chico Bill 6 2,182 02-04-2018, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  What have you done this week to forward your 2017 prepping goals? David 88 18,381 12-31-2017, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
Video Ten prepping lessons that L.E. Has taught me video David 2 1,041 11-14-2017, 06:05 AM
Last Post: Gene
Question What have you done this week to forward your 2016 prepping goals? David 74 25,311 11-26-2016, 12:52 PM
Last Post: David
  Prepping For Gas Shortages JRSC 16 4,782 09-30-2016, 01:09 PM
Last Post: kirgi08
Question What have you done this week to forward your 2015 prepping goals? David 61 27,181 01-02-2016, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Dr. Dickie
  What Have You Learned From Prepping? JRSC 19 8,303 11-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Last Post: kirgi08