Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life Straws
Video 

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Water filtration is a 1st priority prep,we have plenty of fresh water but that may change at any time.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(08-05-2015, 11:55 PM)kirgi08 Wrote: Water filtration is a 1st priority prep,we have plenty of fresh water but that may change at any time.'08.

Yeah, look what happened last year in Virginia with that chemical spill deal.

Seepage/leaching is a constant concern,and a warning.'08.

Have any of you practice or projected on effectively distilled water to purge it from chemicals?
(08-07-2015, 06:21 PM)JRSC Wrote: Have any of you practice or projected on effectively distilled water to purge it from chemicals?

It's been a long time since we've used it, but we have a water distiller in the garage.  Use to use it every day.  Should be sufficient to take out just about any chemical, though I may not be 100% on every chemical.  Also useful for salt water as well.

Just purchased another three Aquamira Frontier lifestraws off Ebay.  These are the smaller 30 gallon type.  They fit nicely into an EDC or glove compartment.

Solar distillers are a good way to "clean" water.We are luck to have 2 sources of fresh water well/creek,a suggestion-get yer water tested by an local extension office.It's usually free or very cheap and can help solve problems before they become one.'08.

I've purchased multiple Aquamire Frontier LifeStraws for emergency use.  I like them because they are small, compact and light enough for EDC and are rated for 30 gallons which is quite a bit for something like a 72-hour scenario.  It should even take care of multiple people if necessary.  However, I've learned that some care needs to be taken with them.  My son and I were reworking his EDC sling bag and his filter had broken up inside the plastic housing and the whole column of charcoal was loose and feel out.  It could probably still be used if no other choice was available but I had a spare to replace it.  So a bit of care and periodic inspection is necessary to make sure it hasn't been damaged.  Not as sturdy as the Lifestraw in the OP.

[Image: 81%2Bp7gPQU%2BL._SY355_.jpg]

Depending on length,put them in coin tubes.There are all sort of lengths out there,they protect coins.A filter can be more valuable.'08.